Unlock ATA Password

Old November 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Qbert

Default Unlock ATA Password

I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
have I to do?

Old November 12th 06, 08:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Qbert wrote:
I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the
password. What have I to do?

Not steal, but buy the disk next time?

The password is mostly about theft prevention. Would not
really work, if it was easy to remove, now would it?

Arno
Old November 13th 06, 06:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Todd H.

"Qbert" writes:

I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
have I to do?

There are procedures to do this for some drives, as well as services
that will do it for you. Google on hard disk password. I haven't
used any of these techniques, however, and some services are
reportedly scams.

However, if you don't have data to recover, your time/money is much
better spent on a new 40Gb disk, as the procedures, if they exist
involve doing things like swapping hard drive electronics/boards onto
the hard disk, or unsoldering chips and such invasive things, from
what I have seen out there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old November 13th 06, 01:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Todd H. wrote:
"Qbert" writes:

I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
have I to do?

There are procedures to do this for some drives, as well as services
that will do it for you. Google on hard disk password. I haven't
used any of these techniques, however, and some services are
reportedly scams.

However, if you don't have data to recover, your time/money is much
better spent on a new 40Gb disk, as the procedures, if they exist
involve doing things like swapping hard drive electronics/boards onto
the hard disk, or unsoldering chips and such invasive things, from
what I have seen out there.

As I said, theft prevention. For this to work, a password removal
needs to cost more than a new drive.

Arno
Old November 14th 06, 08:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Qbert

Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!

Old November 15th 06, 04:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Qbert wrote:
Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

Care to post a link?

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

Must be backdoors. Or fraud.

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!

Probaly knowing a vendor backdoor for each model.
If they can do what they claim.

For get about brute-forcing, the passwor is too long for that.

Arno

Old November 15th 06, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Todd H.

"Qbert" writes:

Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!

It's possible they just take your money and don't deliver the
service. And for $9 will anyone care?

There are some of those services running around the internet for
sure.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old November 15th 06, 01:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
craigm

Qbert wrote:

Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!

Since you are not looking to keep the data, for some drives it is a matter
of sending a few commands to the drive to erase the data and the password.

You need to look at the specifications for your specific drive to see what
the commands are.

This data is frequently on the manufacturer's web site.
Old November 15th 06, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"craigm" wrote in message
Qbert wrote:

Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!

Since you are not looking to keep the data, for some drives it is a matter
of sending a few commands to the drive to erase the data and the password.

You still need a password to send them.

You need to look at the specifications for your specific drive to see what
the commands are.

Nope. They are standardized.

This data is frequently on the manufacturer's web site.

Old November 15th 06, 06:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Qbert

Care to post a link?

Su http://www.hddunlock.com/

Just download a wizard. It runs and check the driver locked. If it thinks to
be able to unlcock it, the procedure starts... and you have to put the code
that you had bought... for 9 USD (up to 80GB).

Let me know if you try it! I haven't yet!

Previously Todd H. wrote:
"Qbert" writes:

I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password.
What
have I to do?

There are procedures to do this for some drives, as well as services
that will do it for you. Google on hard disk password. I haven't
used any of these techniques, however, and some services are
reportedly scams.

However, if you don't have data to recover, your time/money is much
better spent on a new 40Gb disk, as the procedures, if they exist
involve doing things like swapping hard drive electronics/boards onto
the hard disk, or unsoldering chips and such invasive things, from
what I have seen out there.

As I said, theft prevention. For this to work, a password removal
needs to cost more than a new drive.

Arno

Need to get password to unlock computer Raintree Dell Computers 6 April 8th 06 06:59 PM
HP Pavilion ZE4600 Power on Password madscientist General 0 August 29th 05 11:24 PM
Supervisor Password vs BIOS Password Vince Dell Computers 5 July 30th 05 02:30 AM
Laptop Security ajh Dell Computers 25 August 12th 04 09:21 AM
Help With Locked Hard Drive Louis Bybee Storage (alternative) 29 November 22nd 03 03:01 PM