No boot, just shuts down before P.O.S.T.

Old February 23rd 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1D1OT

Default No boot, just shuts down before P.O.S.T.

My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. info
displays.

BioStar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one LG
DVD IDE combo drive. Multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
drive.

I've unplugged all peripherals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
Defender.

Old February 23rd 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

"1D1OT" wrote in message
My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. info
displays.

BioStar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one LG
DVD IDE combo drive. Multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
drive.

I've unplugged all peripherals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
Defender.

clear the CMOS and check the cmos battery

Old February 23rd 09, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"1D1OT" wrote in message
My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. info
displays.

BioStar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one
LG
DVD IDE combo drive. Multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
drive.

I've unplugged all peripherals, including the LAN cable. The machine is
part
of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
Defender.

Need more info.
Do you get any bios beeps?
Does your keyboard's LEDs flash? Are you using a wireless keyboard? Check
the battery.
Does the Motherboard's LED light up?
Do the fans spin?

Anything will help.

Shooting in the dark:
As JAD says: check CMOS battery, reset CMOS
Check HDD conectors, make sure they arer seated properly
Sometimes you can reseat RAM - it gets "crusty"
Check the power supply with a multimeter. Are all the voltages good?
Do you have any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

Where you playing with any USB devices before this behavior happened?
Do you/did you smell an acrid oder? (Burnt plastic).

Old February 23rd 09, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1D1OT

"TVeblen" wrote in message

Need more info.
Do you get any bios beeps?
Does your keyboard's LEDs flash? Are you using a wireless keyboard? Check
the battery.
Does the Motherboard's LED light up?
Do the fans spin?

Anything will help.

Shooting in the dark:
As JAD says: check CMOS battery, reset CMOS
Check HDD conectors, make sure they arer seated properly
Sometimes you can reseat RAM - it gets "crusty"
Check the power supply with a multimeter. Are all the voltages good?
Do you have any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

I found the problem. The CPU cooler socket broke. May have burned out the
CPU. See the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
overheated.

Old February 23rd 09, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"1D1OT" wrote in message

"TVeblen" wrote in message

Need more info.
Do you get any bios beeps?
Does your keyboard's LEDs flash? Are you using a wireless keyboard? Check
the battery.
Does the Motherboard's LED light up?
Do the fans spin?

Anything will help.

Shooting in the dark:
As JAD says: check CMOS battery, reset CMOS
Check HDD conectors, make sure they arer seated properly
Sometimes you can reseat RAM - it gets "crusty"
Check the power supply with a multimeter. Are all the voltages good?
Do you have any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

I found the problem. The CPU cooler socket broke. May have burned out the
CPU. See the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
overheated.

Is the CPU seated properly? Take it out and put it back in. See if you can
boot. If so, the processor is OK. Processors are very resilient. Hard to
kill them.

Old February 23rd 09, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

1D1OT wrote:

I found the problem. The CPU cooler socket broke. May have burned out
the CPU. See the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
overheated.

Not necessarily, I've had this happen before. I would get hold of a new
plastic retaining assembly, if thats what broke, and fir it to the
motherboard (try ebay or similar) and refit everything - you may be
pleasantly surprised. The CPU should have cut out before it overheated.
--
SteveH

Old February 24th 09, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

1D1OT wrote:
"TVeblen" wrote in message

Need more info.
Do you get any bios beeps?
Does your keyboard's LEDs flash? Are you using a wireless keyboard? Check
the battery.
Does the Motherboard's LED light up?
Do the fans spin?

Anything will help.

Shooting in the dark:
As JAD says: check CMOS battery, reset CMOS
Check HDD conectors, make sure they arer seated properly
Sometimes you can reseat RAM - it gets "crusty"
Check the power supply with a multimeter. Are all the voltages good?
Do you have any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

I found the problem. The CPU cooler socket broke. May have burned out the
CPU. See the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
overheated.

The CPU has THERMTRIP and turns off the power if the CPU gets
too hot. You'll be OK, once you get a new plastic
retention bracket.

Paul

510 XL Shuts itself off See signature below Gateway Computers 0 March 9th 07 05:21 PM
CRT shuts off Boooger General 1 May 11th 06 08:19 PM
A7V shuts down immediately at boot-up (single long beep) JY Asus Motherboards 1 July 18th 05 05:09 PM
PC shuts down on it's own Rockjock General 1 March 6th 05 02:36 AM
New system just shuts down shortly after boot nospamhere Homebuilt PC's 8 January 25th 04 01:17 AM