LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

Old November 24th 07, 01:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.hp.hardware
Searcher7

Default LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts

I hav an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old November 24th 07, 03:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
was running on your "old" system? If the old system is still running and both
systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system. As an
alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
size to achieve the same 89-page result?

According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

I have an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I

Old November 24th 07, 10:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.hp.hardware
Searcher7

On Nov 23, 7:54 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
Which operating system is running on your "new" system? Which operating system
was running on your "old" system?

WIndowsMe was on my "old" system. And Windows XP is on my "new"
system.

If the old system is still running and both
systems run a version of Windows, you can copy the Line_Printer font from the
fonts folder of the old system to the fonts folder in the new system.

I'd need to find a site that explains howto do this step-by-step.

As an
alternative, there are plenty of free collections of Windows fonts that include
a font similar to Line_Printer. How many points is/was the Line_Printer font?
Can't you simply Select All, then change the Courier New to a much smaller point
size to achieve the same 89-page result?

I know nothing about fonts. I just noticed that with the
"Line_Printer" font made the text in the document line up exactly the
way it is supposed to, and also it would have allowed me to print out
the document on the lowest number of pages.

According to some information I've seen, the PCL6 driver includes the
Line_Printer font... Ben Myers

I just noticed that the "HP LaserJet 2100" and "HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6"
icons are in "Printers and Faxes". I have no idea how "HP LaserJet
2100 PCL6" got there since I only installed the "HP LaserJet 2100"
driver. ???

The WordPad document is at the moment using the Lucida Console font,
because that is the smallest(text accurate) font I have available to
me.

I don't know how Lucida Console compares to "Line_Printer" which I
still don't have, and I am still unable to figure out how to activate
WordPad's page number function so I can see how many pages it is in
that particular font.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

wrote:

I have an HP LaserJet 2100TN which I just connected to my system. I
used the 2100 drivers instead of the PCL6. Can anyone tell me if there
is a difference and if it is recommended I changed?

Also, before my "old" system became too screwed up for the printer to
work I had a document that was almost 200 pages in the Courier New
font, but it was 89 pages(and readable) in the Line_Printer font.

I still need to print this document out and I don't have the
Line_Printer font option in WordPad on my "new" system.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

Old November 24th 07, 08:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 03:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.hp.hardware
Searcher7

I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************** **********************************************
On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 05:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
been there since Windows 3.1.

As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:24:10 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
wrote:

I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************* ***********************************************
On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 05:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Try this URL for hundreds of free fonts. Perhaps one of them will match up
what you want to do. You can download them and save directly into the Windows
Fonts folder, or save them elsewhere and install them.

http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file...0/default.html

wrote:
Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 07:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.hp.hardware
Searcher7

On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little unusual,
been there since Windows 3.1.

As for finding the Line Printer font you want, You need to search for EXACTLY
the name of the font you used when you selected it for printing. Note that
LinePrinter and Line_Printer are different for purposes of searching for files.
The file you want probably has a TTF or FOT extension, e.g. Line_Printer.ttf .
If you can't get it onto your Windows XP computer somehow, your best alternative
is Courier New with a small point size. True Type fonts are scalable down to
very small point sizes, and Courier New is a True Type font.

"LinePrinter" is the exact term. But I get no hits with just that
term, so I put "LinePrinter* *".

To scale down what you want to print, do a Select All in WordPad (or any other
text editor/word processor), then select Courier New as the font with, say, an 8
point font. That should give you a reasonable approximation of the spacing
using a fixed point Line Printer font, probably 8 points in size.

I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.

The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.

On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.

Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
I have to solve.

Anyway, what I need to print out is he http://marp.retrogames.com/

At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
of sheets of paper.

No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
displayed at the site.

wrote:

I searched for "LinePrinter* *" and got back hundreds of hits. I have
no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Also, there is nothing that says "Fonts" in Control panel.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
************************************************* *************************-**********************
On Nov 24, 12:14 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 05:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Maybe WordPad is not the best choice, because it has no Print Preview? Can you
use Word or OpenOffice Writer?

The search argument for the LinePrinter font would be "LinePrinter*.*" Note
the period between the two asterisks. You might also try "LinePrinter.ttf",
which would be successful if the font was of the TrueType flavor.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:14:01 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
wrote:

wrote:
Assuming that you still can use your Windows ME computer, search for the
Line_Printer font, using something like Line_Printer*.* in the search box. Now
copy it to a floppy diskette, USB memory stick or what have you.

Next, open up Control Panel, click on Fonts, then Install Fonts. Now install
the Line_Printer font from whatever media was used to save it... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:02:13 -0800 (PST), Searcher7

Old November 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
craigm

Searcher7 wrote:

On Nov 24, 9:04 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
There isn't a Fonts icon in the Control Panel? That's just a little
unusual, been there since Windows 3.1.

Switch to Classic mode on XP's control panel and you should be able to find
fonts.

[...]

Line printer font is 8.5 point and 16.67 chars/inch. To print the tables you
want, you need to make sure you use a fixed pitch font.

I already know that Courier New doesn't shrink the text down as small
as LinePrinter on my WindowsME system.

The reason I want LinePrinter is because it allowed the smallest text
of all the fonts available on my old WindowsMe system.

On my new Windows XP system Lucida Console is the best, but I don't
think it shrinks things down as much as LinePrinter.

Another issue is that on my XP system I cannot determine how many
pages a document is in WordPad *before* I print it out. When I open
the document the little notations show which page I'm looking at do
not pop up when using the vertical slider. So that is another problem
I have to solve.

If you know how many lines are in the file and how many lines per page get
printed, the math is simple.

Anyway, what I need to print out is he http://marp.retrogames.com/

At the end of the alphabet along the top there is a "1st" link. I need
to print out the scoring list there, and do it using a minimum number
of sheets of paper.

No too small to read, and the text has to line up the same way it is
displayed at the site.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

snip

If you go to the HP website, you can find the User Guide for the printer. It
tells how to print the pcl font list. Print the list, it may tell you the
escape sequence to switch the printer to line printer font. Send that
sequence to the printer. Then you can probably copy the file to the
printer.

Or, you can add the escape sequence to the beginning of the file to be
printed.

Consider using notepad rather than wordpad. You clearly don't want any
formatting to be done.

HP LaserJet 2100TN grabs multiple sheets of paper Dan Lenski Printers 4 May 11th 07 10:10 PM
Secret drivers for LaserJet 3030 and other HP LJ all-in-ones Ben Printers 2 August 29th 06 05:55 PM
Windows XP x64 drivers for LaserJet 2600n Paweł Cern Printers 3 February 27th 06 04:07 PM
TFT Fonts wizzard General 1 October 19th 05 02:22 PM
HP Laserjet 1012 : drivers having problems with background processes ? R-ton Printers 0 May 16th 04 11:06 AM