What to do(Second time around)

Old June 17th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Lucky[_2_]

Default What to do(Second time around)

Well, I have spent an hour or so every business day last week attempting to
contact some one in Dell Customer Service that was in Texas. No luck.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email late yesterday confirming that
I had canceled the remainder of my order. I had not done so and had no
intention of doing so.

So, I tried the customer service "chat"(which, by the way, I have had little
or no success with in the past month).

The individual that came on line assured me the they would do their best to
help me. Several promises were made including the promise to put me in
contact with a higher level supervisor and giving me a credit towards the
balance of my order.
None of this has taken place as yet and I don't expect it to take place. The
reason being, unlike previous "chat" sessions, I have not received an email
print out of that session.

Apparently the business ethics of Dell and in particular Dell Customer
Service located in India or where ever it is now, is some what different
from what I am used to dealing with.

I have pretty much given up on Dell and can only hope that I have no need to
ever contact Dell again.

My company has some thing over 500 contacts in their electronic business
card file. I intend to make up an email with all the facts and documentation
regarding this mess attached and send it to each and every one of those
business contacts. I also plan on sending it to my States Attorney General
and the local BBB.

Thanks for the help that was kindly offered. I will return once more to let
you know how things go and how the new Wireless N router works for my
somewhat difficult installation.

Lucky.

Old June 17th 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Sorry Lucky Dell did you bad. I wish Michael could hear your case and
see how he'd handle it differently but I guess that won't happen.

For whatever it's worth, maybe tell us what laptop you got and how it
works out with your router later.

Old June 17th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

Apparently the business ethics of Dell and in particular Dell Customer
Service located in India or where ever it is now, is some what different
from what I am used to dealing with.

I have pretty much given up on Dell and can only hope that I have no need to
ever contact Dell again.

Lucky.

I don't blame you for giving up on Dell. Despite about 10 contacts
with Dell, I haven't had any resolution to my issue either.

I just hope that there is another company (besides Lenovo but their
computer prices are getting more in line) that serves you better.

If you find a different company that serves you better and has good
products, please post what you go with.
Old June 18th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rick B.

wrote:

I have pretty much given up on Dell and can only hope that I have no need to
ever contact Dell again.

My company has some thing over 500 contacts in their electronic business
card file. I intend to make up an email with all the facts and documentation
regarding this mess attached and send it to each and every one of those
business contacts. I also plan on sending it to my States Attorney General
and the local BBB.

You mean contacts outside your company!!? I suggest you NOT do that!
I can't reliably predict the reaction any of those 500 may have, but
mine would be to return the mail to postmaster@yourcompany and ask if
your company is aware that this sort of nonsense was going on. If the
content was sufficiently whiney and moronic I might seek out someone
higher up via your company's web site. I really strongly suggest you
leave your company's customers out of this. If they're anything like
I am they get more than their share of trash mail they can't trace
back or stop and are sick and tired of it. Given a clear target it
could well be bombs away... on you.

Yeah, I agree. If I worked for a company who did business with yours,
I sure wouldn't want to be bothered. You don't work FOR those
companies, you work WITH those companies.

Also, depending on what you say in the email, if this got back to Dell
you might be accused of slander by them. Worse, it would be YOUR
COMPANY that could threaten legal action, or actually be sued, since
you are an agent of your company.

My advice is if you have to get this out of your craw, call the people
who you know at the other companies that you trust and don't leave a
paper trail with those you don't know. Be smart, not stupid, and keep
your job.

Rick
Old June 18th 07, 12:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
James

There is NO SLANDER if what you say is the truth. Dell would have to prove
that what the OP says is untrue.

Stated simply, truth is a complete defense to slander.

James

Old June 18th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wallen Elton

James wrote:
There is NO SLANDER if what you say is the truth. Dell would have to prove
that what the OP says is untrue.

Stated simply, truth is a complete defense to slander.

James

Quoted from Wikipedia, take it only for what its worth:

Truth

In many, though not all, legal systems, statements presented as fact
must be false to be defamatory. Proving a defamatory statement to be
true is often the best defense against a prosecution for libel.
Statements of opinion that cannot be proven true or false will likely
need to apply some other kind of defense. The use of the defense of
justification has dangers, however. If the defendant libels the
plaintiff and then runs the defense of truth and fails, he may be said
to have aggravated the harm.

In some systems, however, notably the Philippines and the Canadian
province of Quebec, truth alone is not a defense.[3] It is also
necessary in these cases to show that there is a well-founded public
interest in the specific information being widely known, and this may be
the case even for public figures.

Public interest is generally not "that which the public is interested
in," but rather that which is in the interest of the public. [4]

See also: Substantial truth

[edit] Privilege and malice

Privilege provides a complete bar and answer to a defamation suit,
though conditions may have to be met before this protection is granted.

There are two types of privilege in the common law tradition:

* "Absolute privilege" has the effect that a statement cannot be
sued on as defamatory, even if it were made maliciously; a typical
example is evidence given in court (although this may give rise to
different claims, such as an action for malicious prosecution or
perjury) or statements made in a session of the legislature (known as
'Parliamentary privilege' in Commonwealth countries).
* "Qualified privilege" may be available to the journalist as a
defense in circumstances where it is considered important that the facts
be known in the public interest; an example would be public meetings,
local government documents, and information relating to public bodies
such as the police and fire departments. Qualified privilege has the
same effect as absolute privilege, but does not protect statements that
can be proven to have been made maliciously.

[edit] Similar but different delicts and torts

Some jurisdictions have a separate tort or delict of "verbal injury,"
"intentional infliction of emotional distress," or "convicium,"
involving the making of a statement, even if truthful, intended to harm
the claimant out of malice; some have a separate tort or delict of
"invasion of privacy" in which the making of a true statement may give
rise to liability: but neither of these comes under the general heading
of "defamation". Some jurisdictions also have the tort of "false light",
in which a statement may be technically true, but so misleading as to be
defamatory. There is also, in almost all jurisdictions, a tort or delict
of "misrepresentation", involving the making of a statement which is
untrue even though not defamatory; thus if a surveyor states that a
house is free from the risk of flooding, he or she has not defamed
anyone, but may still be liable to someone who purchases the house in
reliance on this statement.
Old June 18th 07, 06:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

My company has some thing over 500 contacts in their electronic business
card file. I intend to make up an email with all the facts and documentation
regarding this mess attached and send it to each and every one of those
business contacts. I also plan on sending it to my States Attorney General
and the local BBB.

Lucky.

I skimmed your initial post and didn't quite understand what you had
written above. Initially I thought you meant that your company had
over 500 transactions with Dell so I didn't think much of it.

I would heed the warnings of the other people who responded to your
threat to contact the businesses in the card file. In addition to the
legal issues and career issues, if I were the recipient of the kind of
e-mail you say you intend on writing I would think "so, what does this
have to do with me, stop wasting my time!".

If you go ahead with it, I think you might need to change your name to
something other than Lucky.
Old June 18th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:12:24 -0400, "James"
wrote:

There is NO SLANDER if what you say is the truth. Dell would have to prove
that what the OP says is untrue.

Stated simply, truth is a complete defense to slander.

James

While it may not be slander it most certainly would be a lapse of
judgement to send an e-mail of that sort to 500 company contacts not
involved in the issue.

It would probably also be an unwise career move, and IMO would reflect
unfavorably on the sender and the sender's company.

Even if a case wouldn't be won, the initiator of a case against the OP
could make life for the OP very unpleasant (I doubt it would come to
that though because most people would just dismiss the e-mail with a
delete key).
Old June 18th 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Lucky, after reading most replies here, I have to concur that I don't
think it's a good idea to contact your employer's 500 contacts about
your personal Dell problem. Aside from any legal issue, I think the
last thing they (the contacts) want to read about is a personal
problem you have with Dell. For arguments sake, I'll assume Dell is
100% wrong in your case just to continue. Now let's assume these
contacts decide to purchase a Dell product. This does not mean that
they will have a poor experience with Dell because you did. Honestly
tho it may sound like I'm defending Dell, I'm sure in almost every
large company there is always at least one horror story. And the
horror story might be more the cause with one or two bad employees
rather than the company but from the customer's perspective it looks
like the same.

Now I'm NOT saying you should ignor your problem either. I'd still
call Dell and continue to give them hell for as long as it takes to
get your satisfaction. You might be doing them a favor by eventually
teaching someone how they did you bad and how it got corrected to your
satisfaction.

Old June 19th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Lucky[_2_]

I doubt that it would be an "unwise career move". I meant "my company" in
the strictest sense of the phrase.

I have also passed all of these written responses from Dell along to my
company's law firm and they will need to approve any thing that is sent
out. I am also quite certain that they will consider every thing that has
been said here.

As far as the BBB and my State Attorney General, I doubt that there is any
risk involved, but I will have our law firm review those also.