Computer Eating Keyboards

Old May 22nd 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Computer Eating Keyboards

I have a client that has a Emachines computer.
Over the past 5 days their computer has killed 3 keyboards.
The 2nd dead keyboard worked for a day, then the next day input 2 characters
for each key pressed then died on the 3rd day.

I have never seen anything like this. I do not recieve any errors from bios
or windows.

Should I just swap the motherboard?

Thanks

Old May 22nd 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

It is possible the keyboard is being zapped with static electricity, but this usually is more of a problem during the winter.
Maybe the PS2 port is flaky; try a USB keyboard.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old May 22nd 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:14:06 -0400, "Z" wrote:

I have a client that has a Emachines computer.
Over the past 5 days their computer has killed 3 keyboards.
The 2nd dead keyboard worked for a day, then the next day input 2 characters
for each key pressed then died on the 3rd day.

I have never seen anything like this. I do not recieve any errors from bios
or windows.

Should I just swap the motherboard?

Thanks

Insufficient info. When there are two characters it is most
often a keyboard contact problem (like liquid in it). Is
the environment very very humid or it is possible they keep
dumping liquid in? Have these keyboards been tried on other
systems to confirm they are bad? Are they the same
keyboard, perhaps you have a (Manufacturing run) lot of them
with a particular problem?

What about other devices on same (PS2 or USB?) port, do
those work?

Yes if you can rule out environment and the keyboards
themselves, the motherboard remains a prime suspect.
Old May 22nd 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

The business is a muffler/auto repair shop and these computers get Real
Nasty with a black dust. I try to keep them clean and isolated, but parts
fail on them pretty regularly.

I did try the keyboards(all different) on the other computer and yes they
are dead. I cleaned the port(didn't really see anything wrong with it as
this is the cleaner of their 2 pc's being in the office and the furthest
from the shop) and checked the pins. I've never seen anything like this
before.

Everything else seems to be in good working order(for now).

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try Mike's suggestion of a USB keyboard
as this would be cheaper than a motherboard.

Thanks,
Chris

Old May 22nd 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Z wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
[...]

Does the Emachine have a BIOS page that lists measured power supply
voltages ? The keyboard could be powered by +5V or +5VSB, and it is
a pretty easy thing to check with a multimeter as well. You can probe
the inside of each connector pin on the main power connector, while
the machine is running. Clipping the black (-) lead to an I/O
connector, makes it easier to take readings with the (+) probe.

If the supply in the Emachine is a standard ATX, it will be covered
by one of these specs:

http://web.archive.org/web/200304240...12V_PS_1_1.pdf
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...X12V_1_3dg.pdf

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf

Paul
Old May 22nd 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:18:51 -0400, "Z" wrote:

The business is a muffler/auto repair shop and these computers get Real
Nasty with a black dust. I try to keep them clean and isolated, but parts
fail on them pretty regularly.

This is most likely the problem. You need keyboard covers
at the very least or if that is insufficient, industrial
sealed keyboards. You might also recommend to the shop that
they may be in violation of health standards and should
consider an air cleaner if it isn't solely being deposited
by dirty hands (but if it is, employees washing their hands
would help too).

Since most factors are not directly under your control, I
suggest buying a bulk pack of keyboards with a config you
can find a keyboard cover for, so the keyboards last a bit
longer then if it acts up the cover is washed and the next
keyboard is installed.

The system might be in sad shape from this as well, given
enough metallic dust it could theoretically short out the
USB port but since the keyboards appear to work otherwise
(when first plugged in, new), it tends to suggest only
keyboard failure at this point.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try Mike's suggestion of a USB keyboard
as this would be cheaper than a motherboard.

I don't expect that to matter, unless the particular
keyboard just happened to be sealed better or designed
different. Note that waterproof types might help but
spillproof/leak-resistant may not, as the latter can mean
they only molded some channeling and put drain holes in
which is not sufficient but for some kinds of small water
spills.
Old May 22nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:18:51 -0400, "Z" wrote:

The business is a muffler/auto repair shop and these computers get Real
Nasty with a black dust. I try to keep them clean and isolated, but parts
fail on them pretty regularly.

Further, one way to test the theory about dirt contamination
would be to take one of the keyboards (must still partially
work, display "something", not be entirely dead yet), open
it and seperate all the layers and wash them, dry then
reassemble.

I dont' suggest doing this to salvage and reuse them, it
would be too much of a PITA when keyboards are so cheap- but
it would find the fault if they then worked again or at
least worked better than they had previously.
Old May 22nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On 22 May, 16:14, "Z" wrote:
I have a client that has a Emachines computer.
Over the past 5 days their computer has killed 3 keyboards.
The 2nd dead keyboard worked for a day, then the next day input 2 characters
for each key pressed then died on the 3rd day.

I have never seen anything like this. I do not recieve any errors from bios
or windows.

Should I just swap the motherboard?

Thanks

That's funny.. Check the voltage coming out the USB ports. Use a
multimeter.
Current shouldn't be a problem 'cos i think the device only uses the
amount it wants.
Maybe it's sending out more than 5V..or something..

I saw an eMachines computer, with a strange keyboard problem. Could
just be coincidence. Keyboard I plugged in took a while to detect,
they were detected as some sort of usb composite device.. Mice were
recognised ok though. So I plugged the keyb into each usb socket. So
it was installed on each of them. As with any USB device, Once
installed once, it's instant.

Now.. onto how to measure the voltage with a multiumeter..
I asked an electronics geek and did it once. I think voltage can be
measured parallel or series (series is in circuit).
If you have a short USB Ext cable, you could use that, and cut that.

If I say 5VSB, the rest is googlable - google's usenet archive.. but
anyhow..

Ps2 xor USB devices or both could be using the 5VSB / 5V SB. line of
the power supply.

See if they are getting power form 5VSB.
5VSB comes through even when the comp is off. That's its purpose. A
standby voltage. Turn off the computer, keep power in there. Plug a
ps2 key in there and see if lights flash. If you have a ps2-usb
adaptor, then try plugging it into a USB socket. (the keyb won't work
'cos ps2 doesn't work in USB with a little adaptor, but I think the
lights should flash.. I think I tried it once).

You could Try measuring the voltage on the purple wire (that's the
5VSB) of the PSU. Backprobing.. (backprobing is described on the
internet no doubt.. also mentioned in mueller's upgrading and
repairing pcs).

Old May 22nd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Z" wrote in message
.. .
I have a client that has a Emachines computer.
Over the past 5 days their computer has killed 3 keyboards.
The 2nd dead keyboard worked for a day, then the next day input 2

characters
for each key pressed then died on the 3rd day.

I have never seen anything like this. I do not recieve any errors from

bios
or windows.

Try a USB keyboard and see if it stays working

Old May 23rd 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

Z wrote:
The business is a muffler/auto repair shop and these computers get Real

Nasty with a black dust. I try to keep them clean and isolated, but parts
fail on them pretty regularly.

There are plastic skins for keyboards, but the latest issue of Popular
Science features a $50 waterproof keyboard (works underwater,
dishwasher safe): www.sealshield.com

computer eating hard drives? [email protected] General 3 June 30th 06 02:54 AM
Epson C84 woes (Eating cartridges) Stan Printers 7 May 15th 06 04:18 PM
Eating Humble Pie philo General 0 April 13th 06 10:09 PM
2 ps2 keyboards , one computer no switching [email protected] General 3 November 11th 05 02:10 PM
USB powered zip 250 started eating zip100 disks! Aaaargh! [email protected] Storage (alternative) 3 May 2nd 05 08:07 PM