How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

Old January 29th 07, 10:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dima

Default How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

Thanks Rod for your reply!
Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the
Promice card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a
mainboard?
Best regards,
Dima
On Jan 29, 12:36 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Dima wrote:
Thanks Rod for replying!
If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the
Promice BIOS depends on the driver for that card,I didnt say that. I said that that doesnt normally happen.

how to make sure that Win uses the same
mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?
On Jan 28, 11:48 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Dima wrote:
Thanks Rod for your explanations!
How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for
Win?Different drivers.

Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?Its a lot harder to
control what non MS driver does.

If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?Depends on the driver
for that card.

On Jan 28, 1:27 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Dima wrote:
Thank Rod for your reply!
How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?Win turns
the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

Can Windows XP erroneously use another
interface speed than the Promise BIOS?Its not that so much as it
sets the mode used
with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

On Jan 27, 11:44 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Dima wrote:
What do you mean?That the Promise bios says that its using DMA
for the HDs.

My Windows XP used PIO for my DVD drives,
although mainboard BIOS was using UDMA2 for them!Thats a
different issue,

Best regards,
Dima
On Jan 24, 12:27 pm, "Rod Speed"
wrote:
Dima wrote:
How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5
for my 3 HDDs connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2?You've done
that below.

Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows that all 3 HDDs are connected
at UDMA5.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted
text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted
text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 29th 07, 07:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Dima wrote:

Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?

Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

Old January 30th 07, 07:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dima

Thanks Rod for your explanation!
I clicked F6 during bootup from Windows XP CD and installed a driver
for the Promice card. I did not install a driver under Windows XP.
Windows XP SP2 stalled, redooted repeatedly if I did not install
driver during bootup from Windows XP CD.
Best regards,
Dima
On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Dima wrote:
Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

Old January 30th 07, 09:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Dima wrote

I clicked F6 during bootup from Windows XP CD
and installed a driver for the Promice card.

Then its clearly got its own driver.

I did not install a driver under Windows XP.

Doesnt matter, you installed one before that.

Old February 1st 07, 04:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Dima wrote:
Thank Rod for your reply!
How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?

Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.

The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

Nope, it's not. Win usualy just uses the settings bios setup sets.

Can Windows XP erroneously use another
interface speed than the Promise BIOS?

Its not that so much as it sets the mode used
with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

Of which there is only one or two (biosless addon card).
Clearly he wasn't speaking of that.

[google's ****ty quoting snipped]
Old February 1st 07, 04:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Dima wrote:

Thanks Rod for your explanations!
How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for Win?

Different drivers.

Duh.

Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?

Its a lot harder to control what non MS driver does.

Since when are mainboard included chips made by Microsoft.

If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?

Depends on the driver for that card.

And that of the MB included chipset as well.

[google's ****ty quoting snipped]

Old February 1st 07, 04:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Dima wrote:

Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?

Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

So do the MB included chipsets.
Main reason why newer motherboards/chipsets than Windows
distribution fail to install Windows by lack of driver.

[google's ****ty quoting snipped]
Old February 6th 07, 09:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Feb 1, 7:21 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in
Dima wrote:
Thank Rod for your reply!
How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?

Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

Nope, it's not. Win usualy just uses the settings bios setup sets.

Can Windows XP erroneously use another
interface speed than the Promise BIOS?

Its not that so much as it sets the mode used
with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

Of which there is only one or two (biosless addon card).
Clearly he wasn't speaking of that.

[google's ****ty quoting snipped]

Thanks Folkert for your replies!