Are graphite alkalines better than ordinary alkaline?

Old January 13th 07, 11:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Jon D

Default Are graphite alkalines better than ordinary alkaline?

Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.
Old January 13th 07, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Ian Stirling

In sci.chem.electrochem.battery Jon D wrote:
Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.

In short - nowadays it's mostly pointless.
If you want long life under high load, go with NiMH.

If there are no numbers, then don't believe it.

Old January 13th 07, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
philo

"Jon D" wrote in message
Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.

I suspect it's some sales gimmick
AFAIK all Alkaline batteries contain graphite

Old January 13th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Dave

"Jon D" wrote in message
Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.

The best thing to do is test them in some appliance that gives you fairly
standard returns (my Psion 5mx was good at this for AA's).

My UK experience is that nothing beats IKEA's AA yellow alkaline batteries
for cost/Ah. I'd say the same is true for AAA's, but I'm not sure for C or D
cells.

Old January 13th 07, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
philo

In that respect, what would be the fundamental performance difference
between the usual carbon cathode and a graphite carbon cathode in a
LeClanche (dry) carbon-zinc cell?

My area of expertise is with lead-acid batteries...

I don't know much (if anything) about zinc-carbon

Old January 15th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Autymn D. C.

philo wrote:
"Jon D" wrote in message
Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.

I suspect it's some sales gimmick
AFAIK all Alkaline batteries contain graphite

Didn't brass come later?

Old January 16th 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.chem,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Autymn D. C.

Salmon Egg wrote:
On 1/15/07 10:45 AM, in article
, "Autymn D. C."
wrote:
philo wrote:
"Jon D" wrote in message
Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than
alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK,
sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a
cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery
chemisty.
I suspect it's some sales gimmick
AFAIK all Alkaline batteries contain graphite

Didn't brass come later?

I responded to this earlier on the basis that ordinary dry cells use carbon
rods as anodes (not cathodes). Is that true of alkaline cells? If not so,
what is the graphite (or carbon) used for in alkaline cells?

With classic (+) current, its emitter is the cathode. (Sucks, doesn't
it.) The diagram in my text shows a brass cathode and terminal for
the alkaline; it lasts longer because of the better conductor. If
grafite mush is in that end of the battery, it will also help, better
than solid "carbon" or a plain solution. Did you know you can recharge
primary cells?