Ok, I'm desprate..

Old January 2nd 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
David

Default Ok, I'm desprate..

"William" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
et...

"William" wrote in message

The reason that your cable box does not have stereo audio out on the RF

** feed is because Dolbe Digital owns the patents on the stereo encoder
technology used in the RF converters. They require a royalty to be paid
to use their technology. Most manufactures simply DO NOT OFFER STEREO
AUDIO on their RF output. This includes all low-end to medium-end VHS
VCR's, DVD players, cable boxes, and just about any other equipment with
RF converters built into them. (Cameras, video routers, and whatever
has RF output on them.)

** Their are a few RF converter with stereo sound, but you will pay a
price
to get them. It's been that way since the advent of stereo TV sound
back

** in the 80's. Any why you have component Audio/Video output on all
cable
** boxes, DVD's, VHS units, and anything else not too cheep to bother.

William

Sigh, where do I start to clean up this stream of misinformation.

1) Dolbe (sic) does not own the patents on the broadcast stereo sound
system. It uses DBX compression on the difference channel. DBX is a
separate company.

2) Until very recently, there were allot of parts as well as an expensive
filter required to construct a stereo encoder. Decoder chips have been
available for quite awhile and quite inexpensive. A moderately priced
encoder IC has been recently introduced. The royalty to DBX is quite
small and far less then the mpeg decoder royalty paid on every DVD
player.

3) May I suggest you invest in a spelling and grammar checker.

David

David:

** Your use of Ad hominem attack methods are not new to me, and only tell
me of
your character and not the validity of my comments. Your rush to add your
two-cents has only shown your shallowness and need to belittle others.
Save it for some one less educated than myself. And yes, I do use a
spelling

** checker. What a cheep shot.

** The information I have given is correct in the time table given, and
does in
fact influence the decisions manufacturers use when they produce stereo
encoders. I have followed this market for a very long time and have read
the discussions over the years. All you have done is to expand upon the
information given and proven my point even further. You have not
contradicted anything.

If you have trouble expressing yourself without attacking someone else in
order to make yourself feel superior, I suggest you find yourself a good
psychologist and vent your frustrations out on them.

Do not play games with me. Save your insults for someone else, they only
tell me of your character and nothing about the subject being discussed.
I don't know what it is about the Internet, but it brings out the worst in
character.

Be careful what you say, I have had the displeasure of taking on a few
NewYorkers in my days, they are experts in shredding people apart like
you.

William

This is certainly not worth a flame war, but let me point out a few things I
have marked above with ** by the line:

-Dolbe is Dolby.
-Their is not the correct usage. You want There in that position.
-cheep is what baby chickens do. You want cheap in that position.
-Look up 'Ad hominem'. This was a critique of the information in your
posting, not you.
-cheep again
-any why ??
-I repeat, it is not a Dolby licensing issue. This was erroneous
information.

This is my last post on this topic here.

David

Old January 2nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"David" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
et...

Much better. Thank you

William

Old January 3rd 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
T Shadow

"David" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
et...

"William" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. Dolby has patent on surround sound which is used through stereo but
to my knowledge they don't own the patent on TV stereo. Would need to see
links to beleive this. Even if they had a patent on it, it should have run
out before this box was made.

I've seen very inexpensive stereo RF modulators long before this box. It
could still be money though. Seemed likely to me it was a way to keep from
having multiple fully functioning outlets but wouldn't argue the point.

Old January 4th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"T Shadow" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
et...

"William" wrote in message

[...]

T:

Manufactures go --out of their way-- to cut out one 1/8 wt resistor off of
their design. We are not talking about the cost of one IC here, we are
talking about an assembly production line of oh, say 500,000 units. Maybe 2
million units times whatever that single IC, or royalty costs. Then
consider a full 'year line' of multiple types of VCR's, DVD's, or Cable
boxes for a given manufacturer, such as Sony, or Panasonic, or Hitachi, or
whatever. You could be talking 50 to 80 million units or more. You think
they don't consider the cost of a few cents important?

I worked in this market when Stereo TV came out. I saw what happened. It's
not about the NAME of the manufacturer who has the patent, it's the cost.
PERIOD. The name argument forwarded here is a "straw-man argument", nothing
more.

Just how long do you think patents are good for. Ever heard of
two-key-rollover? What about GIF file format? Care to think of
intellectual ideas? (Just how long has the mouse for Disney been prohibited
from general use? )

I highly recommend classes in Interpersonal Communications, Logic,
Psychology, User Profiling, Group Dynamics, and a few more for those who
wish to improve their communications skills.

William

Old January 4th 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
T Shadow

"William" wrote in message

"T Shadow" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
et...

I recommend supplying a link.

Old January 4th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

snip

I recommend supplying a link.

To what?

I hope your original query has been answered to your satisfaction as to why
your cable box has no stereo out on its RF cable output. I was only trying
to explain the conditions in the market why it does not. I have answered
this question hundreds of times over the years and know the validity of it.

Sorry you had to witness that drive-by-shooting that went on between David
and myself.

Have a good day.

William

Old January 4th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Strontium

-
David Stood up at show and tell, in
, and said:

"William" wrote in message

[...]

For someone that doesn't seem to know how to spell 'alot' or (more
grammatically correct) 'a lot', your #3 statement seems a bit 'ironic'.
BTW, 'alot' is a verb.

David

Old January 4th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bill Anderson

Strontium wrote:

For someone that doesn't seem to know how to spell 'alot' or (more
grammatically correct) 'a lot', your #3 statement seems a bit 'ironic'.
BTW, 'alot' is a verb.

No. "Allot" is a verb that means "to parcel out." "Alot" isn't a word
at all, though it seems to be used as one a lot on Usenet.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Happy to Help Favog