Can't delete a registry key

Old December 30th 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave Rado

Default Can't delete a registry key

I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
"Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
again, the
same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys a

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPR INT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPR INT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo*_830U

I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?

Dave

Old December 30th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
then "Dave Rado" sent this :

[...]

This is one reason I've stopped using Epson printers.There's drivers
are badly written.I had to do a clean re-install of the O/S to get rid
of all the epson drivers and their entries.I tried everything and this
was my final re-course.I did not re-format.If this is win98 then,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/clean.html

If winXP you may get away with a repair install,

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558
Old December 30th 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Dave Rado" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

Old December 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave Rado

Hi JAD

JAD wrote:
"Dave Rado" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I can't find any entries in Device Manager that contain the text "USB
Composite". However, if I delete all of the USB-related entries that I
*can* find, which are called "USB Root Hub" and "ALi PCI to USB Open
Host Controller", then reboot, then wait for the drivers I deleted to
rebuild, and then try to delete those registry entries again, I still
get the error message: "Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error
while deleting key."

Is there anything else I can try?

Dave

Old December 30th 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Dave Rado" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi JAD

JAD wrote:
"Dave Rado" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

With the offending registry key highlighted, select 'Security Permissions'
from the menu and set the permissions back to 'Everyone - Full Control', then
you will be allowed to delete it. Be aware that you may need to tick the box for
'replace on all sub-keys' as well, if the key you are trying to delete has
subkeys underneath it - a locked key further down the branch you are trying to
kill will cause the same 'refused' symptoms you described.

Use extreme care of course !

Hope this helps,

Old December 31st 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T Shadow

"Dave Rado" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've had luck in this situation by installing before uninstalling. Sounds
screwy but it recreates the instalation and hopefull fixes the problem. Have
never done it where USB was involved though. Good Luck.

Old January 1st 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800, "Dave Rado"
wrote:

I posted in
comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys a

I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?

Dave

there's regedit.exe and there's regedt32.exe that you'll find in
C:\WINNT\system32.

regedt32.exe has deleted stuff for me that regedit won't.

Corrupt NTFS Filesystem Bob General 19 July 1st 06 01:33 PM
Why Won't Acronis True Image Unistall? Bob Storage (alternative) 15 May 23rd 05 11:09 PM
Registry Run Key Listing Jerry G. General 0 March 23rd 05 12:43 AM
48-bit LBA Support - HDs Over 137GB - Advice? Rob Jones Asus Motherboards 16 November 30th 03 12:20 PM
parhelia w/ 3 monitors tony wong Matrox Videocards 16 September 12th 03 03:59 AM