tv tuner card questions

Old December 25th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

Default tv tuner card questions

In article , Rod Speed says...
Larc wrote
Squibbly wrote

well i dont think anything would be as worse as Hauppauge
though, they think they have cornered the market, and their
drivers and software is terrible by comparison

I second that! But I finally gave up on tuner cards and bought a
Panasonic DVD recorder. It will do everything I want that a tuner
card claims to do (but often won't) . It was somewhat more than
$100, but easily worth much more than any tuner card I've ever used.

My tuner cards work fine and give you a lot more flexibility
with multiple tuner cards per PVR, being able to record the
radio channels as well as the digital TV channels, and a lot
more programming flexibility on what you choose to record
etc including using the integrated program guide channels
and getting that stuff off the net etc.

Been using a dual tuner DVB Hauppauge card with Windows Vista RC2 and
with the Windows Media Center, it's an excellent bit of kit.

--
Conor

"You're not married,you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart
Old December 26th 06, 08:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

I recommend the ATI Theater 550 Pro pci-e X1 card.
The software that comes with it works fine, and is
easy to setup. Also it requires a pci-e X1 slot, and
that makes it fast ... unlike the Hauppauge cards
which are just pci, and have sync problems. I
capture cableTV to mpg2 or mpg4 all the time,
and at high resolution for a good picture ... about
7 gigs per hour. I can burn that to DVD with NERO,
but I find that I really enjoy watching the mpg on
my 20 inch LCD widescreen video monitor. Wife
and I sit back in the computer room and watch
TV there, about as much as we do on the regular
set in the living room. My favorite playback software
for the captured mpgs is WinMedia Player 10 or 11.

johns

Old December 27th 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanShania

Any tv tuner card will work with any version of XP.I have used MSI, and ATI
products, though I would recommend getting the MSI 550 pro tuner as its
software isn't encumbered with DRM like ATI's stuff. I did use a Hauppuage
150 but the picture and software were trouble some and I returned it for a
9600XT All-in-Wonder. The tuner card should have a hardware encoder, so
cheapy tuners will not be wanted. It will affect picture quality.
--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- NFS: Underground 2

Old December 27th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T Shadow

"VanShania" wrote in message
Any tv tuner card will work with any version of XP.I have used MSI, and

ATI
products, though I would recommend getting the MSI 550 pro tuner as its
software isn't encumbered with DRM like ATI's stuff. I did use a Hauppuage
150 but the picture and software were trouble some and I returned it for a
9600XT All-in-Wonder. The tuner card should have a hardware encoder, so
cheapy tuners will not be wanted. It will affect picture quality.
--

Are you saying the MSI ignores Macrovision? Have 3 ATI cards. Don't recall
any other issues related to capture/tuner cards.

Old January 15th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Oak7

"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...

I recommend the ATI Theater 550 Pro pci-e X1 card.
The software that comes with it works fine, and is
easy to setup. Also it requires a pci-e X1 slot, and
that makes it fast ... unlike the Hauppauge cards
which are just pci, and have sync problems. I
capture cableTV to mpg2 or mpg4 all the time,
and at high resolution for a good picture ... about
7 gigs per hour. I can burn that to DVD with NERO,
but I find that I really enjoy watching the mpg on
my 20 inch LCD widescreen video monitor. Wife
and I sit back in the computer room and watch
TV there, about as much as we do on the regular
set in the living room. My favorite playback software
for the captured mpgs is WinMedia Player 10 or 11.

johns

MS Media Player 11? Whenever I try to watch a movie with this software in
full screen mode, it bounces back to a window about every 10 minutes or
so--very irritating.

Old January 15th 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Oak7" wrote in message
. ..

"johns" wrote in message

[...]