Upgrade from Athlon XP 1800+ to 2800+...temps up almost 15C?!

Old December 19th 03, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Robert Paulsen

Default Upgrade from Athlon XP 1800+ to 2800+...temps up almost 15C?!

They were in the upper 30s last night, but by now case temps are
around 42C and my CPU temp is at 70C. *&^%%!

RP

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:58:47 GMT, "Hank" wrote:

"Robert Paulsen" wrote in message
.. .

In case anyone cares, I did as a few others suggested and re-seated
the HSF. I also cleaned off the CPU and HSF base and re-applied the
Arctic Silver 3, trying to follow their recommended method. I did not
notice any contaminants or obvious problems upon removal, but I am now
seeing CPU temps of 64C, and they've been solid there for a while now.
Its still a bit hotter than I like, but its a lot better than 70C-74C.

Well that is better but still high. Whats you case ambient and case temps
like now?

Hank

Old December 19th 03, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Robert Paulsen

I wonder if between my exhaust fans and intake fan I've got some
tricky air flow problem? I think I'll experiment with the fans. That
still doesn't explain the temp differences I'm seeing, but it sounds
like my case temps are a lot worse than some of you are seeing.

My motherboard (Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2) is setting Vcore to 1.70 rather
than the AMD-specified 1.65. I'm not sure why actually...hmmm.

RP

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:19:02 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:17:34 +0000, Robert Paulsen wrote:

The clip on the V7 seems pretty tight, and I know orientation-wise the
thing is on right...but I'll take it off and re-seat it. I can't think
of any other reasons for such a disparity.

Ambient air temps in my office are at most 30C...probably closer to 25C.
Is there a good rule of thumb for what the difference between ambient
and case temps should be? I've got a full tower case, an intake and two
smaller exhaust fans...it seems to get decent airflow, but I guess it is
pretty crowded in there. I don't know what else to do to bring the case
temps down.

I consider it bad if case is 10C over ambient temp. Mine are about 5C or
less over room temp. 2 case fans + PSU fan. The way most cases are made
these days there's so much case metal between the fan and the outside air
that it's hard for them to function properly. I take a pair of cutters to
the case material blocking the airflow and cut it out. And if the plastic
front is blocked, I either cut it out if there's a way to get more air
through it, or drill a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in the plastic. Just these
simple things more than doubled the fan airflow and also made the fans
quieter since they weren't sucking for air. Don't know what to tell you
about the cpu running so hot, but there's something wrong if it's running
hotter than the old one. When you changed cpu's you did reset vcore to
proper setting I assume or at least kept it within reason.

Old December 20th 03, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
matthew utt

more power does make higher temps
when i raise my cpu voltage .1 volts i get about a 20 degree F raise. there
is somthing wrong if i am rinning my 2700+ which is 2.176 GHz at the
equivilant of a 3200+ which is 2.509 GHz and my temp raises from 100 F at
2.167GHz to 115 at 2.509 GHz
all mind you that is on stock cooling
you have problems my friend
sry
"Robert Paulsen" wrote in message
More power certainly does not EQUAL higher temperatures...its not that
simple. The Barton CPUs have I think a 20% larger die surface area, so
while they do use more power they do not run as hot as the Palominos,
clock for clock. Now, the 2800+ is clocked higher than the 1800+, yes.
Enough higher to offset the surface area advantage? I don't know, but
certainly there should not be a 13C-15C increase in processor temps
between the two, which you seem to suggest is normal. Its NOT normal,
because if you look at most everyone's reported temps, they don't do
this.

In case anyone cares, I did as a few others suggested and re-seated
the HSF. I also cleaned off the CPU and HSF base and re-applied the
Arctic Silver 3, trying to follow their recommended method. I did not
notice any contaminants or obvious problems upon removal, but I am now
seeing CPU temps of 64C, and they've been solid there for a while now.
Its still a bit hotter than I like, but its a lot better than 70C-74C.

RP

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:00:20 -0500, "J.Clarke"
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:16:38 GMT
Robert Paulsen wrote:

Umm....no.

Umm, I see. So more power does not equal higher temperatures? Do tell.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:13:33 -0500, "J.Clarke"
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:22:42 GMT
Robert Paulsen wrote:

I recently upgraded my CPU from an XP 1800+ to a Barton core
2800+/333. All other hardware is the same, namely a Gigabyte 7N400
Pro2 and a Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF. I wasn't exactly the coldest
rig on the planet...my CPU temps as measured by Easy Tune 4
(Gigabyte utility) were in the low to mid-50s at idle. Now...after
doing nothing but change CPUs...my CPU temps are 70-73C and that's
pretty much just idle! Now, while I did use Arctic Silver 3 (both
the last time I switched and this current time) I didn't quite go
through all the steps that they recommend. I wiped the old grease
off and put a thin layer on the core of the CPU...no acetone or
anything, but I've never bothered to do that before either. At any
rate, I would think at most that would account for a couple degrees,
not the almost 15C increase I'm seeing. Case temps are around 45C,
which is pretty close to what it was before. This tells me I've got
decent enough airflow in the case, my CPU is just running hot. Any
ideas what is causing this?

Well, let's see, the 2800+ consumes 57-68 watts, the 1800 consumes
46-51. Think that might have something to do with it?

jds

Old December 22nd 03, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
777ouse

Just a thought here guys ... Have you upgraded the bios??? just to make
sure there isn't a problem with the temp reporting?? again just a thought

"matthew utt" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:16:38 GMT
Robert Paulsen wrote:

Umm....no.

Umm, I see. So more power does not equal higher temperatures? Do

tell.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:13:33 -0500, "J.Clarke"

Old January 1st 04, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Paul J. Veres

It would appear that you found your problem. Go into your bios, change your
voltage setting, and it should cool down if your heatsink is a good one and
properly installed.

Old January 6th 04, 09:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
kim & jeffrey

I did have a bord like him a GA7-N400 Pro 2 .
But the problem is you can't adjust the CPU Voltage in the bios .
It stays on 1.83 Volt in easytune4 program.
I sold this bord 2 weeks later .Went back to MSI .

jeff

"Hank" schreef in bericht
gy.com...

[...]

It's gotta be that the heatsink didn't get seated correctly when you
installed it and it's not making full contact with the core. That's the

only
thing that could explain those way out of whack temps. They are easy to

put
on wrong with out even really trying very hard. Your going to have to take
it off and reinstall it making sure your put it back on the right

direction
so that the sink isn't sitting on the shoulder of the cpu socket. They

only
go on one way.

Hank

Old February 17th 04, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Mike

I had an ECS K7S5A board with just an Athlon XP 1800+ and even with a larger
HS and an 80mm Delta Fan, I couldn't keep the temp below 50c no matter what
I did. I never found out if it was just reporting wrong, but no matter whay
program I used to measure gave me the same temps. I just gave up and
upgraded.

--
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R

Try to beat that with the latest Intel crap!