HDTune 2.52 unable to get the SMART info from USB drive?

Old July 8th 06, 12:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

Default HDTune 2.52 unable to get the SMART info from USB drive?

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature etc for
this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).
--
Aloke
----

Old July 8th 06, 04:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Aloke Prasad wrote:
I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature etc for
this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands. You have to remove
rthe disk from the enclosure and connect it to an ATA interface
to read the SMART status.

Arno

Old July 8th 06, 06:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously Aloke Prasad wrote:
I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature etc
for
this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands. You have to remove
rthe disk from the enclosure and connect it to an ATA interface
to read the SMART status.

Thanks for the info.
--
Aloke
----

Old July 8th 06, 07:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Aloke Prasad wrote:

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA
drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature
etc for this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected?

Yes, its the main downside with USB and firewire drives.

You'll find that eSATA external drives are fine too.

I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

Why did you damage it so much it needed to be patched up ?

Old July 8th 06, 07:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Aloke Prasad wrote:

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature
etc for this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected?

Yes, its the main downside with USB and firewire drives.

You'll find that eSATA external drives are fine too.

I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

Why did you damage it so much it needed to be patched up ?

It came damaged :-)
I meant "all updated with the latest MS updates."
--
Aloke
----

Old July 11th 06, 06:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously Aloke Prasad wrote:
I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature etc for
this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands.

Nothing to do with USB.
Obviously USB supports ATA and ATAPI commands (in some way or other).
Everything to do with the firmware (mostly) in the individual USB to ATA/ATAPI
conversion devices and the drivers of USB Hostadapters to allow a S.M.A.R.T. plug-in.

You have to remove the disk from the enclosure and connect it to an ATA

Old July 16th 06, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Lesher

Arno Wagner writes:

Previously Aloke Prasad wrote:
I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses a WDC
WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature etc for
this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands. You have to remove
rthe disk from the enclosure and connect it to an ATA interface
to read the SMART status.

Is that really true? It was my understanding it's an issue of OS support
for SMART via USA & SMART via Firewire....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old July 16th 06, 10:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

David Lesher wrote
Arno Wagner writes
Aloke Prasad wrote

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses
a WDC WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature
etc for this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands. You
have to remove the disk from the enclosure and connect
it to an ATA interface to read the SMART status.

Is that really true?

Yes.

It was my understanding it's an issue of OS support
for SMART via USA & SMART via Firewire....

Nope, the problem is that that stuff doesnt
get thru the bridge in the external enclosure.

Old July 17th 06, 01:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
David Lesher wrote
Arno Wagner writes
Aloke Prasad wrote

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses
a WDC WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature
etc for this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands. You
have to remove the disk from the enclosure and connect
it to an ATA interface to read the SMART status.

Is that really true?

Yes.

It was my understanding it's an issue of OS support
for SMART via USA & SMART via Firewire....

Nope, the problem is that that stuff doesnt
get thru the bridge in the external enclosure.

So, is it the enclosure's fault? Will a properly designed USB 2 enclosure
allow the SMART info from ATA drives to get passed on to the OS?
--
Aloke
----

Old July 17th 06, 01:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Aloke Prasad" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
David Lesher wrote
Arno Wagner writes
Aloke Prasad wrote

I just bought a 300 GB INOi external drive (USB2.0). It uses
a WDC WD3000JB-22KFA0 ATA drive inside the enclosure.

HDTune is unable to get any information on the health, temperature
etc for this USB drive. It does that fine for my SATA internal drives.

Is that normal/expected? I'm running XP Pro (all patched up).

USB cannot transport ATA SMART commands.

Nope.

You have to remove the disk from the enclosure and connect
it to an ATA interface to read the SMART status.

Is that really true?

Yes.

In practice, for most if not all.

It was my understanding it's an issue of OS support
for SMART via USA & SMART via Firewire....

Nope, the problem is that that stuff doesnt
get thru the bridge in the external enclosure.

Usually.

So, is it the enclosure's fault?

Usually. You also need a S.M.A.R.T. plugin for the USB driver.

Will a properly designed USB 2 enclosure allow the SMART info
from ATA drives to get passed on to the OS?

And the necessary commands to reach the drive in the first place.