Best DOS-based disk imaging software?

Old July 5th 06, 03:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

Default Best DOS-based disk imaging software?

I use Ghost 2003 but that is getting dated. Ghost 10 and TrueImage create
disk images in WinXP, change the MBR and do other nasty things like install
in their own partitions.

All I want is a program that runs from a bootable CD, crates and restores
disk images, including the latest NTFS volumes. It doesn't have to run in
DOS (it can install it's own OS etc from the bootable CD), but I don't want
it to be running off the hard drive it is imaging or restoring.

Which program fits the bill?

Thanks.
--
Aloke
----

Old July 5th 06, 04:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Al Dykes

In article ,
Aloke Prasad wrote:
I use Ghost 2003 but that is getting dated. Ghost 10 and TrueImage create
disk images in WinXP, change the MBR and do other nasty things like install
in their own partitions.

All I want is a program that runs from a bootable CD, crates and restores
disk images, including the latest NTFS volumes. It doesn't have to run in
DOS (it can install it's own OS etc from the bootable CD), but I don't want
it to be running off the hard drive it is imaging or restoring.

Which program fits the bill?

TrueImage boots from a CD if that's what you want. It's Linux-based
and IMO that's good.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Old July 5th 06, 04:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Aloke Prasad wrote:

I use Ghost 2003 but that is getting dated. Ghost 10 and TrueImage create disk images
in WinXP, change the MBR and do other nasty things like install in their own partitions.

True Image doesnt. You dont have to install its own partition if you
dont want to and it doesnt molest the MBR if you dont want it to either.

All I want is a program that runs from a bootable CD, crates and restores disk images,
including the latest NTFS volumes. It doesn't have to run in DOS (it can install it's
own OS etc from the bootable CD), but I don't want it to be running off the hard drive
it is imaging or restoring.

Which program fits the bill?

True Image. You dont have to install it if you dont want to.

It can be worth doing tho, that way you can do incremental
and differential images, and can use the PC while its doing those.

Old July 5th 06, 09:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joep

"Aloke Prasad" wrote in message
.. .
I use Ghost 2003 but that is getting dated. Ghost 10 and TrueImage create
disk images in WinXP, change the MBR and do other nasty things like install
in their own partitions.

All I want is a program that runs from a bootable CD, crates and restores
disk images, including the latest NTFS volumes. It doesn't have to run in
DOS (it can install it's own OS etc from the bootable CD), but I don't
want it to be running off the hard drive it is imaging or restoring.

Which program fits the bill?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Bootit ng
image for dos/windows
image for linux

Old July 5th 06, 11:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

Thanks for clarifying this. I was reading their manual (before purchasing)
and did not see this. Everyone seems to be pushing the "image while you
work in Windows" aspect .. which is exactly what makes me nervous.

Does Ghost 10 also work this way (from a boot CD alone)?

I ordered a free copy of Ghost 10 from Buy.com (after rebates). I haven't
installed it yet.
--
Aloke
----

Old July 5th 06, 11:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Aloke Prasad wrote:

Thanks for clarifying this. I was reading their manual (before purchasing) and did not
see this.

Yeah, the manual could certainly be clearer on that.

Everyone seems to be pushing the
"image while you work in Windows" aspect .. which is exactly what makes me nervous.

Does Ghost 10 also work this way (from a boot CD alone)?

Nope, it wont image from the boot CD, just restore.

I ordered a free copy of Ghost 10 from Buy.com (after rebates). I haven't installed it
yet.

Dont use the incremental and differential imaging, it does that every unsafely.

Old July 5th 06, 11:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Aloke Prasad wrote:

Thanks for clarifying this. I was reading their manual (before
purchasing) and did not see this.

Yeah, the manual could certainly be clearer on that.

So, to run TrueImage this way (image and restore off the bootable CD), do I
have to install _anything_ to the hard drive?
--
Aloke
----

Old July 6th 06, 12:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Aloke Prasad wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Aloke Prasad wrote

Thanks for clarifying this. I was reading their manual (before purchasing) and did
not see this.

Yeah, the manual could certainly be clearer on that.

So, to run TrueImage this way (image and restore off the bootable CD), do I have to
install _anything_ to the hard drive?

Nope, not unless you download TI. In that case you do have
to install it to make what it calls the rescue CD, but you can
uninstall it immediately after doing that if you like.

Old July 6th 06, 02:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aloke Prasad

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Aloke Prasad wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Aloke Prasad wrote

Thanks for clarifying this. I was reading their manual (before
purchasing) and did not see this.

Yeah, the manual could certainly be clearer on that.

So, to run TrueImage this way (image and restore off the bootable CD), do
I have to install _anything_ to the hard drive?

Nope, not unless you download TI. In that case you do have
to install it to make what it calls the rescue CD, but you can
uninstall it immediately after doing that if you like.

Thanks for your help. I'll buy TI and use it as well as continue to use
Ghost 2003. Belt and suspenders.

Anybody wants Ghost 10.0?
--
Aloke
----

Old July 10th 06, 05:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
User

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Aloke Prasad wrote:
Does Ghost 10 also work this way (from a boot CD alone)?

Nope, it wont image from the boot CD, just restore.

Wrong. It's an undocumented feature of the Ghost 10 Recovery CD.

Boot: from Ghost 10 Recovery CD.
Select: Restore Ghost Legacy Image
Ghost 8.2 (the Corp. version of Ghost 2003) loads in WinPE
Select: Local-Disc-To Image

Been there. Done that. It works.