200 FSB , look at my 200FSB !

Old October 15th 03, 01:47 PM
Steve Vai

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:14:32 GMT, Some Guy wrote:

but athlons do no realy benefit from a fsb above 200. with the money you
save from not getting 3700 ram you could get a P4 C w/hyperthreading.

last i checked (8 seconds ago) pc3700 was just as cheap/expensive as
pc3200...arent the p4's multipliers locked???
Old October 15th 03, 04:41 PM

Default 200 FSB , look at my 200FSB !

What is it about 200FSB ?
Why do people stop there ?

Any self-respecting o/c'er always maxes out FSB first - and I can't believe
that the limit of so many boards just happens to be 200 FSB.
If I had a pound for every 11.5/11/10.5 x 200 boast I'd seen, I'd be a happy
man.

The only spec that gets respect is FSB, so unless you're doing over 230 -
you might aswell zip it.

Old October 15th 03, 05:53 PM
loonym

http://loonym.netfirms.com/cpuz.jpg

Old October 15th 03, 06:37 PM
Steve Vai

LMAO...what board?

Old October 15th 03, 06:57 PM
loonym

"Steve Vai" wrote in message
LMAO...what board?

Biostar M7NCD-Pro, 2500 Barton
SLK900-A hs, Vantec 92mm tornado fan
Geil Golden Dragon 2x256 pc3500

wrote:

"Q" wrote in message snip

so unless you're doing over 230 -
you might aswell zip it.

http://loonym.netfirms.com/cpuz.jpg

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!

=-----

Old October 15th 03, 07:32 PM
Hippy Paul

Trolling?!!

but what the hell...

It is not in dispute that fast fsb is good - but maybe not everyone has the
same kit as you.

I am using an fsb of 167Mhz - I have a KT333 chipset and pc2700 noname ram,
yet others have got 100Mhz/133Mhz fsb limitations and have still managed to
achieve cpu speeds of 2400Mhz. So I personally respect someone who can make
the most of what they have got.

For example, I would be far more impressed with someone who could get a KT
chipset to 200MHz fsb running at a 1:1 ratio, than with someone who can
stick expensive ram in a good board and ramp it.

Asus A7V333 (Bios 1018 beta)
Barton 2500+ (AQXEA 0326MPM) @ 167 x 14 (2340Mhz)
vcore 1.85v
1 x 256MB generic pc2700
Coolermaster HAC-V81
2 x 80mm exhaust, 1 x 100mm internal
Ebuyer case
Sparkle Geforce2/with Blue Orb
Qtec 450w psu

Old October 16th 03, 12:14 AM
Some Guy

Old October 16th 03, 04:41 AM
loonym

"Some Guy" wrote in message
but athlons do no realy benefit from a fsb above 200. with the

money you
save from not getting 3700 ram you could get a P4 C

w/hyperthreading.

So you would have me believe that _my_ budget system at $75 for
mobo, $85 for cpu, $50 for hsf, my $130 Ti4600 8x, $120 for my
ki8ckass ram, and my $100 case/psu will not rival intel sys at
many hundreds more? I hate arguing then finer points of
performance, but I have to believe that my $500-$600 system will
stomp anything intel at a similar price. And after all isn't
price per performance what it's all about?

Old October 16th 03, 05:22 AM
Some Guy

I hate arguing then finer points of
performance, but I have to believe that my $500-$600 system will
stomp anything intel at a similar price. And after all isn't
price per performance what it's all about?

i agree it's about price/performance, but to achieve 200+ mhz FSB would
need ram that's at least 3500 if not 3700. My point being, the $ lost on
the 3700 memory could have been spend on combining a P4 2.4C with 3200
memory. Jacking the 2.4 to 3.2+ghz on stock cooling would perform better
than an athlon running at 230Mhz FSB.

simply put a 2500+ Barton and 3700 would cost similiarly to a combination
of P4 2.4C and 3200 memory, but you can really overclock the snot out of
the P4.
Old October 16th 03, 06:27 AM
nobody

"Some Guy" wrote in message
[...]

I guess i haven't seen a p4 at stock 1800+- clock that performs
better in any overclock. The Geil Golden Dragon PC3500 2x256 that
has convinced me at the price i paid for my bargain nf2 board and
chip... If you'd care to comapre any benchmarks please let me
know and i'll make screenshots and links available