2.0v vcore for a Barton?

Old October 2nd 03, 08:54 PM
Hippy Paul

Default 2.0v vcore for a Barton?

I was wondering what people thought of using a vcore of 2.0v on a Barton
2500+. I notice BigBadger runs at this voltage - but also seems to get rid
of the cpus pretty quick

I have just started running my 2500+ (AQXEA 0326MPM) at 2.0v at 160Mhz x 15
to give me 2400MHz, (my other best option is 14 x 167 for 2340Mhz) as I
have generic pc2700 on an Asus A7V333(rev2). The vcore options are to 1.85v
standard or an undocumented option of 2.0v - nothing in-between.

It is currently idling at 33C/21C and full load at 47C/23C @ vcore 2.0v with
a Coolermaster HAC-V81 and 2 x 80mm (exhaust), 1 x 100mm (internal
agitator/board heat sensor cooler) fans.

I was thinking that it would be ok, but have recently read rumours about
vcore killing cpus. I was thinking that so long as the temperature was
reasonable, that no real harm, (other than a moderate shortening of its
lifespan in a few years time) would be done, or am I seriously wrong?

Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.

Paul

Old October 2nd 03, 09:04 PM
Geoff

Hippy Paul wrote:
[...]

sheesh i'm running my xp2500 at 2.2ghz 200x11 at 1.725v
2v seems stupid, although your temps are good i think

Old October 2nd 03, 10:09 PM
Nitza666

Temps are killing cpus and 2.0V is better if you have watercoolinh,even if
you kill it buy another one if you kill it probably they are going to be
very cheap the Bartons or buy another one as backup its only 100 euros in
Greece.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:11 AM
Karl Norris

Paul,

In my set-ups 2.0vdc vcore is too high (even with a vaporchill!). I've
actually observed increased stability issues with that little bit of
voltage... but you may have a different situation.

Now that the 2500+ is $80+/-... why not get that last little bit extra.

Will it shorten the processor life? Yes.

I can't argue with your temps. Very low... in your situation, I'd go for
it. Have you run something really aggressive to test it (Prime95)?

Karl

Old October 3rd 03, 03:46 AM

Simple rule :

Voltage ------- GOOD

Heat ----------- BAD

Voltage per se, is not harmful - only excessive heat

----------------
Epox 8RGA+ Rev 2.0
NB lapped + fanned
SB lapped + Zalman passive
Voltages : 2.025-core / 2.0-dd / 2.9-dimm / 1.5-agp
XP1800+ DUT3C - 220 x 10.5 (2309 MHz) Volcano 9+
2 x 256 OCZ PC3700 - 8 3 3 2 Sync Dual
Gigabyte Radeon 8500 DL – 308/600 32CFM
Maxtor DM9Plus (8MB) – fanned
Vantec Nexus 4-channel fan control
Air - Idle 49/58 Load

Old October 3rd 03, 06:34 PM
Hippy Paul

Well thanks for the replies

I decided that as I was not totally sure of what I was doing that I would
leave it out, and as it was such a relatively small increase in cpu speed
(60MHz) that I did not want to chance breaking something. Was wondering if I
had maybe reached the ceiling of the cpu at 2400MHz, any more and prime95
was complaining, hence the fsb of 160 x 15.

So I am now at a much safer vcore of 1.825v currently @ 42C/23 under load at
14 x 167 (2340MHz) safe in the knowledge that I can go further and that in
all probability I will get away with.

Paul

Old October 4th 03, 07:53 AM
Wblane

You're doing better than me. I've got my Barton 2800+ running at 1.95V (200*12
= 2400). My idle temp is 47. I've got a Thermalright SLK900U and a Tornado 90mm
(loud but a lot of CFM). I fried my Tbird 1200 by running it at 2.1V and
1500Mhz. Like you said though, who cares? By the time the CPU burns up, the
Barton you bought for say 150.00$ will be worth 50.00$.

Old October 4th 03, 11:39 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Hippy Paul" wrote
Well thanks for the replies

snip
So I am now at a much safer vcore of 1.825v currently @ 42C/23 under load

at
14 x 167 (2340MHz) safe in the knowledge that I can go further and that in
all probability I will get away with.

snip

Hi,

yes I had similar experiences overclocking my Barton. I followed all the
helpful suggestions/posts here and built a machine based on popular
consensus (specs below), anyway I was able to push the 2500+ to 2.2Ghz with
a small voltage increase (1.75v), but to get it to run stably (24/48hours
Prime95) at 2.3GHz I had to whack up the vCore to 1.9v (yes I was a bit
anxious). No matter what I tried I couldn't hit 2.4Ghz, luck of the draw I
guess. In the end I decided to back-off to the 1.75v setting as the extra
100Mhz wasn't worth the large vCore increase. As I said before 3200+ speeds
are simply amazing for me. . . .

have fun. . .

--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old October 4th 03, 01:23 PM

Why do you run your FSB so low ?
For good performance, you need memory bandwidth - a direct function of FSB.
Gross MHz are pretty meaningless on their own, and the likelihood is that
you'll achieve the same gross regardless of FSB.
For a serious o/c, max out your FSB before your multiplier.

Old October 6th 03, 12:43 AM
Hippy Paul

already have - it is generic pc2700, if I take it over 167Mhz with a high
cpu clock I start getting errors.

Reason it was at 15 x 160 was because that was as fast as I could get it
without errors. That is one of the reasons I took it back down to 14 x 167
@ (now)1.85v as I could not work out if the loss of bandwidth was worth the
few extra mhz on the cpu, when combined with everything else.

Better ram is on my wish list...