200 FSB , look at my 200FSB !

Old October 16th 03, 08:46 AM
Steve Vai

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:22:13 GMT, Some Guy wrote:

I hate arguing then finer points of
performance, but I have to believe that my $500-$600 system will
stomp anything intel at a similar price. And after all isn't
price per performance what it's all about?

i agree it's about price/performance, but to achieve 200+ mhz FSB would
need ram that's at least 3500 if not 3700. My point being, the $ lost on
the 3700 memory could have been spend on combining a P4 2.4C with 3200
memory. Jacking the 2.4 to 3.2+ghz on stock cooling would perform better
than an athlon running at 230Mhz FSB.

simply put a 2500+ Barton and 3700 would cost similiarly to a combination
of P4 2.4C and 3200 memory, but you can really overclock the snot out of
the P4.

so your saying you have to buy pc3500 or 3700 because 3200 wont run on
a 200fsb with an amd and it will with intel thus saving you many more
dollars....
Old October 16th 03, 10:46 AM

"Steve Vai" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:14:32 GMT, Some Guy wrote:

but athlons do no realy benefit from a fsb above 200.

How true is this ?

with the money you
save from not getting 3700 ram you could get a P4 C w/hyperthreading.

last i checked (8 seconds ago) pc3700 was just as cheap/expensive as
pc3200...arent the p4's multipliers locked???

Old October 16th 03, 06:06 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:22:13 +0000, Some Guy wrote:

simply put a 2500+ Barton and 3700 would cost similiarly to a combination
of P4 2.4C and 3200 memory, but you can really overclock the snot out of
the P4.

Hmm... 2500+=$81.
2.4GHz P4C=$162.
MB and ram prices are equal.

Prices based on pricewatch as of today.

Old October 16th 03, 09:09 PM
CHRIS 159

"Steve Vai" wrote in message
[...]

xp2500+ barton at 205fsb with twinmoss pc2700 running in sync with fsb - no
probs here

Old October 16th 03, 09:32 PM
Some Guy

so your saying you have to buy pc3500 or 3700 because 3200 wont run on
a 200fsb with an amd and it will with intel thus saving you many more
dollars....

I guess i'm not making myself very clear.

The orignal poster was commenting on a 230Mhz FSB. My orignal comment
was the lack of performance increase on an FSB above 200 with an athlon
chip. Performance gains at the same speed comparing 200Mhz to 230Mhz are
minimal.

In order to achieve 230 Mhz likely required 3700 memory, which is far
more expensive than the 3200 memory (i'm talking quality stuff from the
same vendor not price-watched stuff).

That price differential could have been used to get a P4 rig specifially
a 2.4C which could easily ramp to 3.2 and beyond on stock voltage and
cooling. at 5:4 timings the 3200mem would be in spec but the system
would perform better than the athlon rig with a 230Mhz. Additionally the
2.4 can do this on stock cooling and not on some monster SLK which costs
$60CAD

so the comparison is the performance between

P4 2.4C + 3200 memory
and
Athlon 2500 + 3700memory + SLK900A (assuming desired 230FSB)

which is cheaper and which performs faster when overclocked?

I am an AMD pusher but people don't realize AMD is no longer cheaper when
you stick it with ultra expensive memory and expensive heatsinks.
Old October 16th 03, 10:03 PM
John

"Steve Vai" wrote in message
[...]

AMD 2500 running 200FSB with PC3200 RAM.
Specs are the same as a AMD3400/P4 3.4, hope your P4 2.4 can really
overclock.

John

Old October 17th 03, 07:39 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:32:13 +0000, Some Guy wrote:

In order to achieve 230 Mhz likely required 3700 memory, which is far
more expensive than the 3200 memory (i'm talking quality stuff from the
same vendor not price-watched stuff).

First, you wouldn't have to have PC3700 to run the FSB at 230MHz. the
memory bus could be set to 200MHz. Second, quality PC3700 isn't that mmcuh
more expensive than quality PC3200 ram. $100 will get you 512meg of
quality PC3700 ram. Just remember that quality doesn't always mean name
brand.

That price differential could have been used to get a P4 rig specifially
a 2.4C which could easily ramp to 3.2 and beyond on stock voltage and
cooling. at 5:4 timings the 3200mem would be in spec but the system
would perform better than the athlon rig with a 230Mhz.

You will have to run the FSB at 267MHz to get to 3200MHz speeds with a 2.4
P4C. And 5:4 timings would still put your memory at 213Mhz thus requiring
faster ram than PC3200. So you're just blowing smoke.

Additionally the
2.4 can do this on stock cooling and not on some monster SLK which costs
$60CAD

And the AMD overclocked to 2400MHz doesn't require a $60 cooler either. An
$8 cooler will work just fine.

so the comparison is the performance between

P4 2.4C + 3200 memory
and
Athlon 2500 + 3700memory + SLK900A (assuming desired 230FSB)

You don't need the expensive cooler, and you don't need PC3700 Memory
either.

which is cheaper and which performs faster when overclocked?

The Amd cpu is $81 and the Intel is $162. The rest of the system cost
would be Identical. Built right, the amd is cheaper by and will run faster.

I am an AMD pusher but people don't realize AMD is no longer cheaper when
you stick it with ultra expensive memory and expensive heatsinks.

And I guess what you don't understand is that you don't need ultra
expensive ram or an ultra expensive cooler. On top of that, are you sure
you can get the required FSB speed (267MHz) to getb the 2.4 up to 3.2
speeds? That's a pretty heafty FSB overclock. So unless you can do it on
one of the $60 MB's, add another $60 to the Intel system for a MB with one
of the newer Intel chipsets. $120 is the cheapest 875 board I see. So now
we're at $282 just for the P4 cpu and MB. For that price I can add the ram
to the AMD system and still have about $50 left.

Old October 17th 03, 02:07 PM
Hippy Paul

"CHRIS 159" wrote in message

xp2500+ barton at 205fsb with twinmoss pc2700 running in sync with fsb -

no
probs here

but just to interject with a point I hinted at - I think this is a quite
good oc and I know others who have done it - granted it is quality ram on a
nforce chipset - but I think pc2700 running as slightly oc'd pc3200 is very
reasonable.

but, my point being that apparently this is nothing to be pleased about - as
you can not get to fsb 230Mhz on your pc2700 - so you had better "zip it"

price/performance - opens up a lot of possibilities - I think an old rig
with 100Mhz sdram and a 1700+ b core at 2400Mhz must surely be in the
running

Old October 17th 03, 11:11 PM
neopolaris

Q wrote:
What is it about 200FSB ?
Why do people stop there ?

Any self-respecting o/c'er always maxes out FSB first - and I can't
believe that the limit of so many boards just happens to be 200 FSB.
If I had a pound for every 11.5/11/10.5 x 200 boast I'd seen, I'd be
a happy man.

The only spec that gets respect is FSB, so unless you're doing over
230 - you might aswell zip it.

Stow it Gilligan!