Diablo II Demo? Error Message

Old September 25th 03, 08:40 PM
Sean R. Kerns

Default Diablo II Demo? Error Message

Hi all,

I have a Medion GeForce4 ti4200 with AGP8x 128MB card installed in my Medion
P4 2.66GB PC with DX9.0b and 768MB of RAM. OS is WinXP Home with the latest
updates from MS.

I downloaded and tried to run the demo for DiabloII, and it only gets as far
as the graphics test. It then tells me it can't find a supported mode? The
monitor I've got only does 800x600, but will do 32-bit color. I have a
feeling it is a setting somehwere, because this system seems like it should
run this game without a prolbem.

Any ideas what I could try to get it to run? I'm not really hip to all the
tweaks and things, so I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Sean

Old September 25th 03, 09:29 PM
Lenny

I downloaded and tried to run the demo for DiabloII, and it only gets =

as far
as the graphics test. It then tells me it can't find a supported mode?

Can you run other games without problems?

Try this:
Start menu - Run (or press winkey + r). Type dxdiag in the box and =
press enter, wait for the program to finish loading. Go to the secon tab =
from the left. See if there's any errors listed beneath the list of =
files. Then select third tab counting from the left. Is directdraw and =
direct3d activated or not? Try running the directdraw and direct3d =
graphics tests.

If all these run just fine and other games do too, I suggest you contact =
blizzard tech support for further help.

Old September 26th 03, 06:18 AM
Sean R. Kerns

Thanks, Lenny.

I do run other games without problems; but in the DXDiag tests, it said it
had a problem setting my display to 640x480 high color.
I have noticed when I set the display settings manually that it doesn't want
to go below 800x600. I'm using the 45.23 nVidia drivers, and I know the
monitor will do 640x480. Maybe I need to change the monitor setting to a
generic monitor, instead of the Gateway 31-1, which is what I have?

Thanks,

Sean

Old September 26th 03, 09:25 AM
Lenny

I do run other games without problems; but in the DXDiag tests, it said it
had a problem setting my display to 640x480 high color.

Maybe I need to change the monitor setting to a
generic monitor, instead of the Gateway 31-1, which is what I have?

Maybe. Try the generic plug-and-play monitor type and see if it helps,
though it shouldn't matter. Monitor .inf "driver" files state the *maximum*
scan rates the monitor supports, they can't - as far as I'm aware - exclude
low resolutions. I think you have some software glitch somewhere in your
system preventing 640 from working. If changing the monitor type does not
help, try uninstalling your graphics driver (from add/remove programs in
control panel), reboot, re-install latest directx, reboot again, then
re-install newest graphics driver set again.

Things like this, weird windows glitches, are not seldom totally incurable
by any other means than a full-blown OS re-install, but you can always
try...

Old September 26th 03, 09:33 AM
Henric

"Sean R. Kerns" wrote in message
Thanks, Lenny.

I do run other games without problems; but in the DXDiag tests, it said it
had a problem setting my display to 640x480 high color.
I have noticed when I set the display settings manually that it doesn't want
to go below 800x600. I'm using the 45.23 nVidia drivers, and I know the
monitor will do 640x480. Maybe I need to change the monitor setting to a
generic monitor, instead of the Gateway 31-1, which is what I have?

Thanks,

Sean

This is probable. Diablo II runs at 640*480 resolution by default, and the
expansion pack Lord of Destruction is capable of 800*600. So if you can't run
640*480 you definately can't run D2 demo, and probably not D2-LoD either since
it defaults to 640*480..

--
Regards,
Henric