Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner

Old December 8th 06, 10:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
p jayant

Default Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner

I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for

one black and one color cartridge.
If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
situations of this type?

P. Jayant

Old December 8th 06, 03:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

All you really need to do is have a spare cart for each and then you
will not have to worry about it.

Old December 9th 06, 06:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"p jayant" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for

one black and one color cartridge.
If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
situations of this type?

Most of the newer HP printers (with integrated cartridges) will print with
one or the other of the cartridges removed. The printer will automatically
change modes to use the available cartridge. See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN.
The copy function is not available in this mode.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old December 9th 06, 10:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
p jayant

Thanks for your information. Does the info apply to printing a document
and
NOT sending faxes?

I just tried for the heck of it and it did print the document. But I
want to
know whether it was just a freak occurrence. Or is it technically
feasible.

P. Jayant

Bob Headrick wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 10th 06, 05:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"p jayant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your information. Does the info apply to printing a document
and NOT sending faxes?

I just tried for the heck of it and it did print the document. But I
want to know whether it was just a freak occurrence.
Or is it technically feasible.

It is not a freak occurrence, it is by design that the printer will work
with one or the other of the two cartridges. I do not know if this unit
will send faxes without both cartridges, some need both cartridges to send
faxes.