Need the Model number for a Compaq Deskpro EN

Old November 4th 03, 09:16 PM
Wally

Default Need the Model number for a Compaq Deskpro EN

A friend bought a used Compaq Deskpro EN (tower)/ PIII 550mhz and he
wants to put the fastest processor it will take, but I can't find any
info except a serial # (6011CR23E328)and a hardware list on the HP
site. Need a model # so I can see what it will take. I am familiar
with clones and AMD but not INTEL. I tried calling HP and got some
Indian I couldn't understand. It is much simpler with a clone brand.
Compaq seems to have so many variations.
Old November 5th 03, 01:41 AM
HH

Try looking he
http://h30121.www3.hp.com/sparesstor...h=6011CR23E328

It shows that serial number machine came with a Coppermine PIII 550 (256K L2
Cache), not a 500MHz, so should take any 100MHz bus PIII up to 850MHz at
least.
HH

om...

Old November 5th 03, 03:57 PM
Wally

"HH" wrote in message ...
Try looking he
http://h30121.www3.hp.com/sparesstor...h=6011CR23E328

It shows that serial number machine came with a Coppermine PIII 550 (256K L2
Cache), not a 500MHz, so should take any 100MHz bus PIII up to 850MHz at
least.
HH

"Wally" wrote in message
om...
A friend bought a used Compaq Deskpro EN (tower)/ PIII 550mhz and he
wants to put the fastest processor it will take, but I can't find any
info except a serial # (6011CR23E328)and a hardware list on the HP
site. Need a model # so I can see what it will take. I am familiar
with clones and AMD but not INTEL. I tried calling HP and got some
Indian I couldn't understand. It is much simpler with a clone brand.
Compaq seems to have so many variations.

Thanks for the reply, I am still confused about processor packages.
The one it shows is that a "slot 1" ? What package style do I need to
look for. If it is a slot 1 they have it laying flat on the board. I
wish I could find the chipset for that board also. When you buy a Epox
or others they tell you all that.
Old November 10th 03, 11:49 PM
Kev

Wally wrote:

A friend bought a used Compaq Deskpro EN (tower)/ PIII 550mhz and he
wants to put the fastest processor it will take, but I can't find any
info except a serial # (6011CR23E328)and a hardware list on the HP
site. Need a model # so I can see what it will take. I am familiar
with clones and AMD but not INTEL. I tried calling HP and got some
Indian I couldn't understand. It is much simpler with a clone brand.
Compaq seems to have so many variations.

A good rule of thumb is that you can put in the fastest processor that
uses the same voltage and cache.