Lexmark CS410dn - flashing display

Old September 9th 19, 09:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

Default Lexmark CS410dn - flashing display

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 15:08:16 -0400
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 22:10:43 +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 01:26:44 +0000 (UTC)
lid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. If it was the printer
software resetting randomly then the printing functions would most
likely also be affected (though I wouldn't rule anything out
entirely). Maybe a loose/corroded power connection to the LCD
display, or else a failing internal power supply powering it. It
could also be the circuitry in the display itself, in which case
your only hope is another printer of the same model to raid for
parts. There may be a service manual online, though I don't know
where to look for Lexmark ones.

Indeed, I've not turned up a service manual yet. I'd be a lot
happier to investigate further if I could find one.

Indeed indeed. All I found was a "overview brochure" on Lexmark. I
wonder if they never cared (or anyone else) to produce a PDF covering
all there is about this printer.

I have located a service manual online but there is no guidance on this
fault description. I will ask Lexmark whether any of the described
Operator Panel faults should be treated as occurring.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail:

PLEASE followup news posts in news
Web:
http://phil.tinsleyviaduct.com/

Old September 9th 19, 09:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article m,
Phil Reynolds wrote:

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 01:26:44 +0000 (UTC)
lid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

Phil Reynolds wrote:
In recent weeks the display on my Lexmark CS410dn has started
flashing a lot - that is, coming up plain lit then going out,
repeatedly, or going out and relighting with detail on it.

Is there a simple cause for this? Something I could check and
reseat? Or, is there some underlying cause I could check for with,
say, a multimeter?

The printer still performs all printing functions as expected, and I
cannot afford to replace it with anything at present anyway.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. If it was the printer software
resetting randomly then the printing functions would most likely also
be affected (though I wouldn't rule anything out entirely). Maybe a
loose/corroded power connection to the LCD display, or else a failing
internal power supply powering it. It could also be the circuitry in
the display itself, in which case your only hope is another printer
of the same model to raid for parts. There may be a service manual
online, though I don't know where to look for Lexmark ones.

Indeed, I've not turned up a service manual yet. I'd be a lot happier
to investigate further if I could find one.

Don't go poking around the power supply unless you know what you're
doing.

A worthy warning to the uninitiated, of course. I don't know much about
the internals of these particular printers but such things generally
are within my knowledge.

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I assume
the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Fred
Old September 9th 19, 09:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:22:19 -0400
Fred McKenzie wrote:

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I
assume the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Indeed, this looks rather like another one I found, but actually easier
to use.

This model always seems to have the "dn" options... there is a "dtn" as
well, I believe.

Old September 11th 19, 10:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

Fred McKenzie wrote:

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I
assume the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Indeed, this looks rather like another one I found, but actually
easier to use.

This model always seems to have the "dn" options... there is a "dtn"
as well, I believe.

As expected, Lexmark quote around twice the cost of the nearest new
equivalent for a repair.

If I could somehow access the Remote Operator Panel (VNC) without using
the Java applet built into the printer (which no modern browser seems
to touch), that would be a satisfactory workaround.

Old September 11th 19, 01:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:44:44 +0100
Phil Reynolds wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:

Take a look at:

https://www.laserpros.com/img/manual...-cs410-cs510-c
21312-5027-service-manual.pdf

Found using Google search for lexmark cs410dn service manual. I
assume the "dn" refers to options on your particular printer.

Indeed, this looks rather like another one I found, but actually
easier to use.

This model always seems to have the "dn" options... there is a "dtn"
as well, I believe.

As expected, Lexmark quote around twice the cost of the nearest new
equivalent for a repair.

If I could somehow access the Remote Operator Panel (VNC) without
using the Java applet built into the printer (which no modern browser
seems to touch), that would be a satisfactory workaround.

I can use PaleMoon to get somewhere with it, but unfortunately I now
get "Error: Connection refused" from the applet.

Any solutions available short of involving Lexmark again?

Old September 11th 19, 11:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:30:48 -0400
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

I can use PaleMoon to get somewhere with it, but unfortunately I now
get "Error: Connection refused" from the applet.

Any solutions available short of involving Lexmark again?

There's no manual so I cannot check. Apparently it has a built-in
network. Do you know the IP. If not your router log might. Ping that
from a computer inside the same network. If that doesn't work I'm out
of ideas other than the printer might have a web interface already.

If it works install tighten-client or any other NC client for your OS
and start it with the IP of the printer.

I am (obviously. from the above) *way* ahead.

I know full well the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

I cannot use a VNC client for my OS because the VNC port does not open
until I try to launch the VNC applet, and then if I do try one, I get a
brief flash of black and the connection closes.

Old September 11th 19, 11:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andreas Kohlbach

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 25, 2019.

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

I can use PaleMoon to get somewhere with it, but unfortunately I now
get "Error: Connection refused" from the applet.

Any solutions available short of involving Lexmark again?

There's no manual so I cannot check. Apparently it has a built-in
network. Do you know the IP. If not your router log might. Ping that
from a computer inside the same network. If that doesn't work I'm out
of ideas other than the printer might have a web interface already.

If it works install tighten-client or any other NC client for your OS
and start it with the IP of the printer.

I am (obviously. from the above) *way* ahead.

I know full well the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

I cannot use a VNC client for my OS because the VNC port does not open
until I try to launch the VNC applet, and then if I do try one, I get a
brief flash of black and the connection closes.

If the VNC port isn't open there is nothing you can do using a VNC client
or some JAVA application connecting to VNC.

If you know the IP of your printer start a web browser and point it to
it. If you don't see the setup interface then I am out of ideas.
--
Andreas
Old September 12th 19, 10:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Reynolds

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 18:42:41 -0400
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

If the VNC port isn't open there is nothing you can do using a VNC
client or some JAVA application connecting to VNC.

It's not "isn't open", it's "isn't open UNTIL..." - if you carefully
re-read what I wrote.

If you know the IP of your printer start a web browser and point it to
it. If you don't see the setup interface then I am out of ideas.

I need to access the "Remote Operator Panel", which is *deeper* than
the web interface. I can do almost everything routine with the web
interface, but not interact directly with messages on the printer's own
display. That is what the "Remote Operator Panel" is for - and this has
become important because of the fault with the display on the printer.

You are generally correct, but have not understood the specifics.

Old September 12th 19, 05:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andreas Kohlbach

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on September 26, 2019.

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

If you know the IP of your printer start a web browser and point it to
it. If you don't see the setup interface then I am out of ideas.

I need to access the "Remote Operator Panel", which is *deeper* than
the web interface. I can do almost everything routine with the web
interface, but not interact directly with messages on the printer's own
display. That is what the "Remote Operator Panel" is for - and this has
become important because of the fault with the display on the printer.

You are generally correct, but have not understood the specifics.

Now I have, thanks for explaining again.
--
Andreas