Crucial 128G not software

Old September 28th 20, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Crucial 128G not software

Marked difference after I tore it up. Only a few times so far used
but the difference looks to be a decisive change in characteristics
for the better.

The model is advertised "Slider", where there's a thick plastic
sleeve integrated to slide over the unit and cover the male connection
point. That sleeve acted for a sheath for handling the unit.

I tore the sliding sheath portion off with stubby needle-nose pliers,
breaking off pieces of the thick sheath's plastic without damaging the
inner core stick plastic construct, top and bottom. The sheath's
runners were deep in the inner portion's side channels, that are now
exposed for the PCB within. Where the sheath formerly butted against
the inner core at the connection appears to allow a few millimeters
more metal connection exposure, now when inserted into a USB port.

Then I deleted the partition, 16K sectors straight across 128G, split
and created a 64G partition with 64K sectors, and recopied an existing
32G data on it.

A huge difference in the "action" for how the computers pick it up.
Its LED comes on, one longer strobe, followed by hardly a few blinking
strobes, then stops with the data content identified and drive-mounted
by the OS for near instant usage.

Over the years I'd done a lot of copying then deletion of files with
the prior format. Whether usage had accumulated to adversely affected
reading the MBR, I don't know;- neither whether removing the sheath
helped by getting a deeper USB connection insert, which wasn't cleanly
constructed, anyway, as the inner core had some wobble on that sheath,
I didn't like. A deeper connect also could imply wear at the contacts
over a prior state of physicality, minus the sheath, that is since
improved.

Also looked at the Western Digital Sandisk 64G units, which performed
better than expected for speed, on par with the Crucial. The Sandisks
are much smaller and tightly constructed in metal casing;-
Micro-designed being the engineered intent. Except they're hotter
than hell, as soon as inserted, within under a minute rising in
temperature to what feels approaching 140F. Didn't bother with a IR
thermometer. That's also ambient operation with no read/write
activity. Not cool. Possibly suited a powered hub, as I'm not sure I
want the constant heat from power they're inefficiently drawing
imposed on the MB and its USB support. A powered straight USB hub
with 8-point ports, LEDs switches for turning individually ports
on/off, is under $10/US. If Sandisk must impose itself, the memory
irrespectively probably will last at 140F, better imposed on hubs than
a critical MB pathway/supply support USB operations.

Although the Crucial inner core handling is plastic, I can still pull
to feel the end metal USB connection for a sense of temperature, which
remains relatively cool. Those Sandiscs are way, way out there for
comparative heat dissipation -- not quite blisterers but decidedly up
and into hot territory. My 200W Class-D amp's output stage
transistors run where they do when idling before kicking in a
supplementary 12V fan (though not as hot as a Class A/B's 200W amp's
vented transformers);- small microphone broadcasting predecessors to
12AX7 vacuum tubes in my preamps, (sold for headphone amps), the tubes
run at temperatures where the Sandiscs are.