How Many Cores??

Old June 19th 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Chris Flash

Default How Many Cores??

Hello Group
I'm looking into building / buying a new system to replace my GA-N400-Pro2
with an XP3200 and a gig of OCZ dual channel DDR. When I first put this
system together a few years back, it was the dogs nads and the envy of my
mates... not any more tho.

With the Processor and Mobo choice leading the way, I am struggling to make
a decision. Firstly I thought I must buy the best AMD (On my 4th AMD now) I
could afford and looked at the Phenom range with an AM2+ Mobo.

Looking over some benchmarking on Tom's Hardware, I was surprised to see the
AM2-64 6400 beating some of the quad core Phenoms on some apps - Then
looking at Inels core2 quad.... these seem to give much more performance at
less cost than a comparable AMD system - now this was never the case in the
past as far as I knew.

I'm not a big game player, but I render DVD quite alot and anticipate
Blu-Ray rendering in the near future.

Do I need a quad core system?
Are Intel systems as easy to build and set up?

I'm considering
Asus Motherboard P5K3 Deluxe WiFi Intel P35 LGA775 with Core 2 Quad Pro
Q6600 95W
and
Asus Motherboard M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2 Phenom 790FX with AMD CPU AM2 9500
Phenom 64 Quad Core

amongst others. Any help / advice / comments would be welcomed.

Old June 20th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Chris Flash" typed:
[...]

Only if the software that you're using is capable of using four cores. As
you seem to keep your systems a while then there's a chance that, it the
software isn't quad-core-capable now, it could be in a year or two. Your
decision.

Are Intel systems as easy to build and set up?

IME easier than AMD. I too went from a Barton to a new system a while back.
I chose Intel, it's a no-brainer really.

I'm considering
Asus Motherboard P5K3 Deluxe WiFi Intel P35 LGA775 with Core 2 Quad
Pro Q6600 95W

Two things, doesn't that mobo take DDR3 RAM? It's 2x the price of DDR2 and
is nowhere near 2x the performance. Also, the Q6600 is old, 65nm tech. If
your last system was the "dogs nads" why compromise on this one? Spend the
money you save by *not* going DDR3 and put it towards a 45nm CPU is my
suggestion. Quad or dual, up to you. (I chose dual, at higher clock speed.
It's considerably faster in real-world aplications.)

I have a P5K-E WiFi. They're excellent boards as long as you don't get the
vanilla P5K. P5K-E and above, avoid DDR3.

and
Asus Motherboard M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2 Phenom 790FX with AMD CPU AM2
9500 Phenom 64 Quad Core

AMD ain't where it's at right now. Even if it was, I most certainly wouldn't
buy a 9x00 Phenom, they're buggy. That's why the 9x50 range was released so
quickly (and why the 9x00 are so cheap).

amongst others. Any help / advice / comments would be welcomed.

Have fun.
--
Shaun.

Old June 20th 08, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ytrewq

I also wonder if DDR3 is worth the current price premium.
I find it very hard to make a case for any current AMD CPU for higher end
system.
You should check to see if your DVD rendering software can use 4 cores - I
believe some will use 4 cores to significant advantage.
Will you overclock? - it appears that all current Intel CPU's (both 65 and
45nm) will OC quite easily on a suitable motherboard. FWIW, I had no
difficulty OC'ing last generation 6400 dual core and current generation
E8400 30-40%. This is not insignificant for CPU intensive tasks.
If you OC, you might consider one of the current highly rated after market
CPU cooling solutions.
=====================

Old June 20th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
The Coward Robert Ford

"~misfit~" wrote in
:

AMD ain't where it's at right now. Even if it was, I most certainly
wouldn't buy a 9x00 Phenom, they're buggy. That's why the 9x50 range
was released so quickly (and why the 9x00 are so cheap).

That was the first batch of Phenoms, they have fixed the issues now. Still,
I would go with the C2D at 3.0GHZ as that offers the most bang for the
buck.
Old June 20th 08, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
The Coward Robert Ford

"ytrewq" wrote in
m:

I also wonder if DDR3 is worth the current price premium.

Nope. My next PC I build I will use DDR3 but not until the prices drop
considerably and that won't happen until DDR3 becomes mainstream. If you
want a system with DDR3 then wait about six months or so or just go with
DDR2.
Old June 23rd 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "The Coward Robert Ford" typed:
"~misfit~" wrote in
:

AMD ain't where it's at right now. Even if it was, I most certainly
wouldn't buy a 9x00 Phenom, they're buggy. That's why the 9x50 range
was released so quickly (and why the 9x00 are so cheap).

That was the first batch of Phenoms, they have fixed the issues now.

Yeah, that's what i said. However, there are still stocks of the old batch
around, being sold to unknowing people.

Still, I would go with the C2D at 3.0GHZ as that offers the most bang
for the buck.

Indeed. My own system is an Asus P5K-E WiFi/AP running a C2D E4500 (2.2GHz
stock) at 3.31GHz stable, cool and effortlessly.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old June 23rd 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Chris Flash

OK Thanks for the input you good people - some sound advice well taken
there.

I've sort of made a decision.
I found a Mobo which supports DDR 2 & 3 so I'll go with a 45nm 3Ghz C2D and
use DDR2, then in a year or so, I can upgrade to a C2Q and DDR3. Sounds like
a plan eh?
I'm thinking of...
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz (Retail 775) Quickcode: #30243
Quickcode:

You can easily jump to a product by typing its Quickcode into the
LiveSearch!

BX80570E8400, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB Cache, new Wolfdale core

Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R P35 Socket 775 Motherboard
Quickcode: #31059 unless of course... you know of a good reason to avoid
either?
Cheers,
Chris.

Old June 25th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Chris Flash" typed:
OK Thanks for the input you good people - some sound advice well taken
there.

I've sort of made a decision.
I found a Mobo which supports DDR 2 & 3 so I'll go with a 45nm 3Ghz
C2D and use DDR2, then in a year or so, I can upgrade to a C2Q and
DDR3. Sounds like a plan eh?

Yep. Although being able to upgrade to DDR3 isn't really needed. If it's
compromising your board choice in any way then drop it. Seriously, it isn't
worth worrying about.

Personally I wouldn't limit the number of DDR2 slots I have available just
to have the option to use DDR3 at a later date. The increased performance of
DDR3 is negligable and most certainly *not* better than just being able to
upgrade to more DDR2 if needed at a later date.

However, thats just a niggle. At least you're on the right track with Intel
and 45nm. :-)

I'm thinking of...
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz (Retail 775) Quickcode: #30243
Quickcode:

E8400 would be my choice of CPU if I was buying now.

You can easily jump to a product by typing its Quickcode into the
LiveSearch!

BX80570E8400, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB Cache, new Wolfdale core

Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R P35 Socket 775 Motherboard
Quickcode: #31059 unless of course... you know of a good reason to
avoid either?

Comments above. I'm not familiar with the motherboard but Gigabyte, like
Asus, are fairly reliable (as long as you're not buying the bottom end of
the range).

Luck,
--
Shaun.

how many cores do I have? Hank[_2_] General 4 May 22nd 07 04:38 AM
Both CPU cores working? [email protected] General 7 February 18th 07 03:22 PM
What ared the Different AMD cores and Why: Don Ocean Overclocking AMD Processors 3 December 16th 06 05:17 AM
GHZ vs Cores? ajb Intel 5 September 16th 06 12:35 AM
Confused about cores Lenster AMD x86-64 Processors 3 July 14th 05 07:26 PM