Is my HDD dying or something else from these errors and symptoms?

Old March 6th 08, 09:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

Default Is my HDD dying or something else from these errors and symptoms?

Hello.

For about two weeks ago, I had two of these incidents (13 days apart
between them):

hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
hdb: DMA timeout error
hdb: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: DMA disabled
hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
hdb: DMA timeout error
hdb: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
hdb: DMA timeout error
hdb: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
hdb: DMA timeout error
hdb: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success

From this, my old Linux/Debian system became slow and unresponsive due
to high CPU usage (e.g., 7.xx in top). I had to shutdown (shutdown -r
now) Linux/Debian, reboot, and things are back to normal speed. I doubt
it is temperature related because the room is in the 60s and 70s
degrees(F) and computer wasn't working intensely (e.g., surfing the
Web).

Also, I recalled before these problems started, my motherboard (CMOS and
BIOS) didn't see both of my primary master drives (both HDDs: hda and
hdb), but can see my secondary master (DVD-ROM drive = hdc). I had to
open the case, but didn't see anything wrong. I wiggled the cable ends
for the HDDs. I booted my machine up and it seemed fine for a few days/a
week and then these errors came up (not disconnections).

I ran smartctl utility on both of my HDDs for information and results:
http://pastebin.ca/930776 ...

My full system specifications can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt
(secondary/backup machine). Does that mean my decade old Quantum 6.4 GB
HDD (already made a backup just in case) is finally dying? Or is it
something else?

Thank you in advance.
--
"All the best work is done the way that ants do things -- by tiny but
untiring and regular additions." --Lafcadio Hearn
( )

Old March 6th 08, 09:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ignoramus24341

Probably. What does

smartctl --all /dev/hda

say? (and hdb)

Does it report any errors?

Old March 6th 08, 09:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

Please see the link I provided earlier (http://pastebin.ca/930776). It
has all the information.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ignoramus24341 wrote:
Probably. What does

smartctl --all /dev/hda

say? (and hdb)

Does it report any errors?

Old March 6th 08, 10:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ignoramus24341

Your hdb is VERY old (over 6 years of actual running hours). It does
not seem to support SMART error logging, so you do not know what is
wrong with it.

I think that it is dying based on your errror messages from console.

I would make sure to run a backup ASAP, like right now.

Old March 6th 08, 10:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ignoramus24341

On 2008-03-06, Ignoramus24341 wrote:
Your hdb is VERY old (over 6 years of actual running hours). It does
not seem to support SMART error logging, so you do not know what is
wrong with it.

I think that it is dying based on your errror messages from console.

I would make sure to run a backup ASAP, like right now.

By the way: ALL HARD DRIVES DIE.

There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this.

Some die earlier and some die later. But they all die.

So not having a backup, verges on insanity. (I am not saying that you
are not backing up, just making a statement).

Old March 6th 08, 10:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Ignoramus24341 wrote:

Your hdb is VERY old (over 6 years of actual running hours). It does
not seem to support SMART error logging, so you do not know what is
wrong with it.

I think that it is dying based on your errror messages from console.

I would make sure to run a backup ASAP, like right now.

Already did onto hda since that's the only HDD I have to back up to).
Now, how come before these errors came up my motherboard couldn't see
BOTH HDDs? Is that related or just a coincident?

Old March 6th 08, 10:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:

[...]

Thats normally just a bad cable. And since the problem is seen with
more than one hard drive, its almost certainly just a bad cable.

Can be a bad hard drive controller on the motherboard etc but thats much less likely.

From this, my old Linux/Debian system became slow and
unresponsive due to high CPU usage (e.g., 7.xx in top).

Because its turned the DMA off, as it says.

I had to shutdown (shutdown -r now) Linux/Debian,
reboot, and things are back to normal speed.

Because its turned the DMA on again.

I doubt it is temperature related because the room is in the 60s and 70s
degrees(F) and computer wasn't working intensely (e.g., surfing the Web).

Yeah, most likely just a bad cable.

Also, I recalled before these problems started, my motherboard (CMOS
and BIOS) didn't see both of my primary master drives (both HDDs: hda
and hdb), but can see my secondary master (DVD-ROM drive = hdc).

More evidence of a bad cable to the hard drives.

I had to open the case, but didn't see anything wrong.
I wiggled the cable ends for the HDDs.

And that likely got it going again. Those cable piercing connectors
can bend one of the things that bite the cable when the cable is made
and can get loose if you reef the cable off the drive or motherboard
end by pulling on the ribbon etc.

If its a round cable, its ****ed by design.

I booted my machine up and it seemed fine for a few days/a
week and then these errors came up (not disconnections).

I ran smartctl utility on both of my HDDs for information and results:
http://pastebin.ca/930776 ...

My full system specifications can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt
(secondary/backup machine). Does that mean my decade old Quantum
6.4 GB HDD (already made a backup just in case) is finally dying?

Nope, just the cable.

Or is it something else?

Yep, the cable.

Old March 6th 08, 10:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ignoramus24341

On 2008-03-06, Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Ignoramus24341 wrote:

Your hdb is VERY old (over 6 years of actual running hours). It does
not seem to support SMART error logging, so you do not know what is
wrong with it.

I think that it is dying based on your errror messages from console.

I would make sure to run a backup ASAP, like right now.

Already did onto hda since that's the only HDD I have to back up to).
Now, how come before these errors came up my motherboard couldn't see
BOTH HDDs? Is that related or just a coincident?

I would buy a USB drive (I recommend Western Digital from Newegg).

I am not sure about your second question.

Old March 6th 08, 10:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

[...]

From this, my old Linux/Debian system became slow and
unresponsive due to high CPU usage (e.g., 7.xx in top).

Because its turned the DMA off, as it says.

I wonder if I can re-enable DMA without rebooting. I think hdparm
controls that?

I had to shutdown (shutdown -r now) Linux/Debian,
reboot, and things are back to normal speed.

Because its turned the DMA on again.

So why did my DMA go off? As a precaution?

I doubt it is temperature related because the room is in the 60s and 70s
degrees(F) and computer wasn't working intensely (e.g., surfing the Web).

Yeah, most likely just a bad cable.

Also, I recalled before these problems started, my motherboard (CMOS
and BIOS) didn't see both of my primary master drives (both HDDs: hda
and hdb), but can see my secondary master (DVD-ROM drive = hdc).

More evidence of a bad cable to the hard drives.

I had to open the case, but didn't see anything wrong.
I wiggled the cable ends for the HDDs.

And that likely got it going again. Those cable piercing connectors
can bend one of the things that bite the cable when the cable is made
and can get loose if you reef the cable off the drive or motherboard
end by pulling on the ribbon etc.

Hmm, I have those old fashion flat cables. I guess I will go replace it.
I assume replacing the whole ribbon cable is enough? I didn't see how
many there were in my mini-tower case (hard to see and it's crowded). I
assume two are in total for primary and secondary drives.

If its a round cable, its ****ed by design.

Yeah, I don't have those. My other PC has a SATA cable that are round.

I booted my machine up and it seemed fine for a few days/a
week and then these errors came up (not disconnections).

I ran smartctl utility on both of my HDDs for information and results:
http://pastebin.ca/930776 ...

My full system specifications can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt
(secondary/backup machine). Does that mean my decade old Quantum
6.4 GB HDD (already made a backup just in case) is finally dying?

Nope, just the cable.

Hmm, OK! I will go try the cable first then!

Or is it something else?

Yep, the cable.

Old March 6th 08, 10:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Walter Mautner

wrote:

Your hdb is VERY old (over 6 years of actual running hours). It does
not seem to support SMART error logging, so you do not know what is
wrong with it.

I think that it is dying based on your errror messages from console.

I would make sure to run a backup ASAP, like right now.

Already did onto hda since that's the only HDD I have to back up to).
Now, how come before these errors came up my motherboard couldn't see
BOTH HDDs? Is that related or just a coincident?

You say hda and hdb, so they are on the same controller/cable. You know, one
blocking/stalled drive can block the whole ide bus?
You should consider moving the 2nd drive to the 2nd ide cable, often enough
there were incompatibilities between different harddrive brands.

Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]