how many cores do I have?

Old May 22nd 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Hank[_2_]

Default how many cores do I have?

Stupid question I know, I ordered 2 dual core Dempseys 5060s but Task
manager Performance View shows 8, Processors under Device manager show 8.

I dont have the box it came in so I can't check there. This is windows 2003
server 64 bit btw

thanks

Old May 22nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On May 21, 6:28 pm, "Hank" wrote:
Stupid question I know, I ordered 2 dual core Dempseys 5060s but Task
manager Performance View shows 8, Processors under Device manager show 8.

I dont have the box it came in so I can't check there. This is windows 2003
server 64 bit btw

thanks

Looks like you got a pair of quad cores instead.

Old May 22nd 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Hank wrote:
Stupid question I know, I ordered 2 dual core Dempseys 5060s but Task
manager Performance View shows 8, Processors under Device manager show 8.

I dont have the box it came in so I can't check there. This is windows 2003
server 64 bit btw

thanks

That thing has got Hyperthreading. So Task Manager is going to show
2x what you would have expected.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL96A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

"Hyper-Threading works by duplicating certain sections of the
processor — those that store the architectural state — but not
duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a Hyper-Threading
equipped processor to pretend to be two "logical" processors to the host
operating system, allowing the operating system to schedule two threads
or processes simultaneously."

HTH,
Paul
Old May 22nd 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Hank[_2_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Hank wrote:
[...]

I see. Thanks again. This is the system I was talking to you about a while
ago, I got it up and running and it works great.

Old May 22nd 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Hank[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 21, 6:28 pm, "Hank" wrote:
Stupid question I know, I ordered 2 dual core Dempseys 5060s but Task
manager Performance View shows 8, Processors under Device manager show 8.

I dont have the box it came in so I can't check there. This is windows
2003
server 64 bit btw

thanks

Looks like you got a pair of quad cores instead.

I wish, turns out to be because of hyperthreading.

how to make a game use both cores? Enter The AMD x86-64 Processors 2 March 31st 07 08:38 PM
Both CPU cores working? [email protected] General 7 February 18th 07 03:22 PM
What ared the Different AMD cores and Why: Don Ocean Overclocking AMD Processors 3 December 16th 06 05:17 AM
GHZ vs Cores? ajb Intel 5 September 16th 06 12:35 AM
Confused about cores Lenster AMD x86-64 Processors 3 July 14th 05 07:26 PM