Sound stutters in SB Live! Value

Old July 10th 03, 05:08 AM
Matt

"() ()" wrote in message
GF4 Ti4200, yes I did change drivers recently... hmmmmmmm...
"Folk" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:07:02 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

So if the video card is hogging the bus how can i fix the problem?

What video card do you have? Have you changed video drivers lately?
Can you think of anything else that has changed since you started
experiencing the problem?

Your not gonna solve this, Your wasting time. You need a motherboard upgrade
bad my friend.

Matt

Old July 10th 03, 05:28 AM
\(\) \(\)

From another newsgroup
"pci-bus hogging...
do a google search, its a hardware issue. i had this once even with running
winamp, but only if i had network traffic. it turned out to be the nic not
being able to do busmastering. let sandra check if all ur pci cards are able
of busmastering"
I'm working on it, i'll post my results

Old July 10th 03, 06:00 PM
Folk

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:59:29 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

GF4 Ti4200, yes I did change drivers recently... hmmmmmmm...

Well, a quick check would be to uninstall the recent drivers and go
back to what you had before. Your best bet might be to use the latest
drivers posted on the mfg's website.... i.e. if it's a Gainward card,
use Gainward's drivers. Mfg. drivers tend to be less "aggressive"
than Nvidia reference drivers.

.. .

Old July 10th 03, 09:31 PM
\(\) \(\)

really because i installed MSI drivers and i believe this is when I first
started having the problems. I think i'll go back to nvidia's drivers.
"Folk" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:59:29 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

GF4 Ti4200, yes I did change drivers recently... hmmmmmmm...

Well, a quick check would be to uninstall the recent drivers and go
back to what you had before. Your best bet might be to use the latest
drivers posted on the mfg's website.... i.e. if it's a Gainward card,
use Gainward's drivers. Mfg. drivers tend to be less "aggressive"
than Nvidia reference drivers.

.. .

Old July 11th 03, 04:59 PM
Folk

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:31:25 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

really because i installed MSI drivers and i believe this is when I first
started having the problems. I think i'll go back to nvidia's drivers.

Sometimes it's just trial and error. g

"Folk" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:59:29 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

GF4 Ti4200, yes I did change drivers recently... hmmmmmmm...

Well, a quick check would be to uninstall the recent drivers and go
back to what you had before. Your best bet might be to use the latest
drivers posted on the mfg's website.... i.e. if it's a Gainward card,
use Gainward's drivers. Mfg. drivers tend to be less "aggressive"
than Nvidia reference drivers.

.. .

Old August 14th 03, 06:39 PM
DJCyberVoltage

I had a stuttering problem with my SB Live! Value as well. The problem
seemed to occur when MIDI files were playing and Windows tried to play .WAV
files (such as system event sounds). I have a high-end P4 system with 100%
PCI (no ISA slots or legacy devices). I dual-boot both Win98SE and Windows
2000 Pro Workstation. The SB Live! Value stuttering was ONLY a problem with
Windows 2000.

I tried all of Creative Lab's suggestions - turn down audio accelleration,
turn down video accelleration, upgrade to latest drivers, etc. None of
those changes helped. It turned out, as many others here have suggested,
that the problem was related to IRQ sharing - something that Windows forces
by default when it detects a motherboard with ACPI (Advanced Configuration
and Power Interface) BIOS. It forces all PCI cards, as well as the onboard
USB controller(s) to share a single IRQ (usually IRQ 9). You can manually
assign the IRQ's in the BIOS setup, but if Windows is running in ACPI mode,
it completely ignores those IRQ settings. The only way to "fix" this on
Windows 2000, is to change the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to "Standard
PC". There are several ways to do this - the most painful being a complete
Windows re-install, specifying "Standard PC". You can also switch the HAL
by changing the PC type to "Standard PC" in the Device Manager - which will
force Windows to re-detect all of the hardware.

Once you switch to the "Standard PC" HAL, you can control the PCI slot's IRQ
assignments manually in the BIOS setup. The disadvantage to disabling ACPI,
is that you lose the power control features, like Windows ability to
power-down your PC. The workaround to this, is installing the "NT
APM/Legacy Support" driver, which uses APM rather than ACPI. When you do
this, you must be sure to disable the hidden device called "Microsoft ACPI
Driver", found by selecting "Show Hidden Devices" in the device manager.

Another suggestion is to disable the SoundBlaster "Emulation", since it ties
up a free IRQ. This driver only exists to provide backwards DOS-mode
compatibility for older games / software. If you don't need it, turn it
off!

Creative Labs didn't do a very good job with the NT/Win2k/XP drivers for the
SB Live!. They attempted to roll out SB Live! drivers that would provide
"Audigy-like" features, but those drivers were a disaster under Win2k/WinXP.
As a result, they switched back to specific SB Live! drivers for those OS's
and abandoned future development of the SB Live! drivers. There are some
newer 3rd party drivers out there for the SB Live! that claim to provide
"Audigy-like" features, but after all the headaches, I've opted to stick
with Creative's 1-2 year old "stable" drivers. I know that Compaq has also
developed OEM SB-Live! drivers that I hear are better than Creative's
drivers, but I'm not sure if the Compaq drivers will recognize retail
SB-Live! cards (without manually manipulating the device signatures in the
INF files).

The Audigy 2 seems to be a much better card than the SB Live! - not only
because of the new/improved hardware features/capabilities, but because
Creative is still developing/improving the Audigy drivers. Hopefully, when
Creative releases the successor to the Audigy, they won't abandon Audigy
driver development, as they did with the Live! Series.

From another newsgroup

"() ()" wrote in message
GF4 Ti4200, yes I did change drivers recently... hmmmmmmm...
"Folk" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:07:02 -0400, "\(\) \(\)"