Processor Update

Old October 20th 04, 04:19 PM
Dan

Default Processor Update

I have a msi k7n420 pro motherboard,1600+ processor, and 768 meg pc2100 ram.
I would like to get a little more power without replacing the motherboard
and memory. The msi web site shows that there is an update to the bios that
would allow me to use a 2400+or a 2600+266fsb processor. I am not a computer
builder and have never updated the bios or changed a processor.Is this
something I should try to do myself? How much improvement would I gain by
making this change? Is it worth while to do it? If I had a shop do the
labor,would this be an expensive job? These might seem like stupid
questions,but this is all new to me.Thanks for any and all help.
Dan

Old October 20th 04, 06:08 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:19:12 -0400, Dan wrote:

I have a msi k7n420 pro motherboard,1600+ processor, and 768 meg pc2100
ram. I would like to get a little more power without replacing the
motherboard and memory. The msi web site shows that there is an update
to the bios that would allow me to use a 2400+or a 2600+266fsb
processor. I am not a computer builder and have never updated the bios
or changed a processor.Is this something I should try to do myself?

Don't see why not. Just follow the instructions.

How much improvement would I gain by making this change?

Depends on which CPU you use and what speed you clock it at, but with just
a default 2400+ you would be going from 1400MHz to 2000MHz. That's quite
an improvement.

Is it worth while to do it?

I don't see why not?

If I hada shop do the labor,would this be an expensive job? These might
seem like stupid questions,but this is all new to me.Thanks for any and
all help. Dan

I would think most people could do this themselves. I have no idea what a
shop would charge, maybe $20 extra, maybe nothing if you bought the cpu
there, which will probably be at least $20 higher than you can get it.:-)

I'd also consider replacing the CPU cooler if you have an old aluminum
base cooler. And NOT with the AMD cooler. TR2-M1 or M3 for about $8 is
quieter and cools a lot better than the stock cooler. If you want
something a little better, maybe an ALX-800 from Thermalright. And don't
takre the shops word on anything about coolers. Check reviews or ask here
before you buy it. I' wouldn't give you a dime for some of the most
expensive ones.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:30 PM
Dan

would a Cool Master X Dream 2 HAC-L82 be alright to use with a 2600+.
Thanks for your input.
Dan

newsan.2004.10.20.17.07.16.249804@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old October 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:30:56 -0400, Dan wrote:

would a Cool Master X Dream 2 HAC-L82 be alright to use with a 2600+.

Should be fine up to 3200+ or higher speeds.