Hell with platters

Old February 11th 21, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Hell with platters

Had run chkdsk on a plattered drive but didn't hold up, so sent off
for my third 1T SSD in recent months.

That just about covers half the audio portion, moving it off plattered
drives, on an A/V setup with 5G storage.

My first SSD, a Samsung 840 64G is over 10 to 15-years 24/7 usage and
still works fine (probably MLC).

2T plattered, for instance, $60 ea., means cycling potential three
drives in 10 years for $180. That's the cost of 2T storage in a SSD
factor, except with a lower risk of failure.

Some, not all, plattered failures, I've been seeing 2-3yrs. use on HDD
purchases. Still, too often and one to many.

The 3T SSDs replacements are all Samsung EVO models. Although they're
certainly not intended for write-intensiveness, still, failure will no
longer be an option.

That's the plan -- see the writing on the wall:

Be Advised -- Sector Error Seeks, Pending Sector Reallocation Counts,
Errant Time-outs, No Longer Will Be Permitted to Loiter, Pile up Or
Otherwise Congregate.
Old February 11th 21, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:36:47 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

2T plattered, for instance,

(Only two of the Samsungs will be deployed in the A/V setup.)

Also read an RAID article, very close to what I'd come to think along
with an old CRC program I use upon occasion. Although the program
does build CRC tables, I been using it for comparison purposes, so
far, which it will do differentially, directly in binary-stream,
bit-4-bits across two alike files.

Turns out it's an industrial strategy for RAIDs, or reasonably
similar, where one drive is built with the CRC tables for comparison
to a mirrored drive. If a file's bit gets flipped and fails the CRC
check an appropriate file is correctively then rewritten from one of
the other in the pair. Two-stage redundancy, although can't see a
reason why that might not be conceivably raised to a higher magnitude.
Old February 11th 21, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

wrote:

Still, too often and one to many.

That also goes for controllers. When ports were a premium I'd buy the
slotted, add-on controllers for added storage considerations. Since
then, newer MBs, although advertising more than adequate storage
provisions, up to six ports being more common, performance and
reliability characteristics may radically differ from what I
experienced with the PCI slotted controllers (although their quality
was neither entirely immune, to diverge between model revisions). With
MBs continuing to shrink, however, the PCI controller has practically
been relegated to greater obsolescence and niche pricing. Vaguely
similar to a common complaint, widely across MBs, for how to account
for "accessorizing" burnt-out USB3, if not inclusive also of the USB2
ports, on matchbox-top form factoring for non-slotted, all-in-one
sized MBs to fit most all or anything bigger than an handheld tablet.

A rather vague consideration for whether platform and SSD more or less
now immune to reliability and performance issues (more apt to be)
potential to inherent HDD mechanical faults, (not to exclude MB
controllers), at a bridge by comparative standards over a matter time
evolved into indiscreetly two mediums, as it were, for the latter in
"old-school" fashion to emulate the former.
Old February 12th 21, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of all my platters yet.

With no platters I'd have no where to serve the cheese bits. They go so
well with the retractable coffee cup holder on the front of my PC.
Old February 12th 21, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:37:20 -0600, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of all my platters yet.

With no platters I'd have no where to serve the cheese bits. They go so
well with the retractable coffee cup holder on the front of my PC.

I know I don't have a choice. I can't afford SSD back-ups for SSDs
that have replaced HDDs;- the whole concept I may have portrayed for
exaggerated: Neither are all my audio files' asses covered, just most
of them (for the "interim" course of things), yet neither do I want
SSD storage, especially, for a likes of video files on a Western
Digital HDD that inexcusably is not showing signs of eminent failure
after a couple years usage.

SSD back-ups, besides, needs to be put on chains and chains of SATA
PWR splitters, left powered inside the computer, unaccessed and
without a SATA connector.

Of course you could do something about it, like run them in RAID with
the suggested CDC/MD5 checksum tables, but that's not cheapest nor
minimalist.

I'm talking Bit-Rot, unless I don't understand how might the rot
occur, with rot from a SSD back-up that's left unpowered, long term,
"years" for illustration purposes, and storage states of NAND gates
are not refreshed to corrupt themselves.

My favorite saying is the expert storage proposal that, as a rule: To
replace a HDD after 5-years.

Right. Sell it on NEWEGG, where people will stampede, crushing one
another to be first to buy one, for near to the price of a new
same-sized budget HDD, once declared it's from a national server data
storage facility that only buys the top-tier models from Western
Digital or Seagate.

I have a Western Digital 560G in the box messaging you now as a matter
of fact that is Fifteen Years Old. It's name is 24/7. (Also a 200G
Seagate, older yet, its runt brother named Twenty Years.) Maybe too
much inbreeding, but I don't trust these new drives kids are
spinning;- nor as mentioned the controllers for running them.