New WD updated for old Seagate Barracuda MB heater

Old March 7th 15, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default New WD updated for old Seagate Barracuda MB heater

The old HDD I pulled, a 750 Seagate Barracuda, is now replaced by a
Western Digital 2T.

.. . .Along and with -- ongoing MB heat issues, I've been experiencing
for quite some time, rising as high as 130F (both via chipset and an
"auxiliary" sensor - temps provided via SpeedFan).

This new WD -- things just got weirder, but in a good way.

Noticed a drop in reported temps upon installing the WD. As well had
a warmer spell recently, a few days of higher temps, which pretty well
looks indicative.

My chipset temps were running (for the past year, or two, since
updating a single core to X2 Athlon) 125-130F (Aux reported slightly
lower, 120-125).

Now - it's 100-105F for the chipset and 110-115 for the Aux.

They've caused an effect to reverse MB temps since updating to the new
HDD!

All because of a HDD. I can't believe this stuff! (The HDDs, though,
are mounted on Silicon Image PCI Controller -- and temp sensor
reporting, one at least, is apparently lost during the translation, or
not fed back to any utility that can detect both respective sensor
address/portings. IOW - I haven't been able correctly/precisely able
to monitor my HDD temps.)

My chipset now dropped 20F cooler, to 105F, which is great;- not sure
what Aux reporting of 113F exactly is. . .there is a Video identity
present (NVidia chipset), but it however reports a non-entity value
for a token 33F placeholder.

And, I've touched that old Seagate plenty, never noticing it getting
"especially hot" (hot HDDs, btw, is really bad news - one of the worst
ways to treat them).

Go figure... eh. (I'll take it!)
Old March 11th 15, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 00:29:37 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

This new WD -- things just got weirder, but in a good way.

Well. It's not quite hot, ambient, just a lot hotter than it was.
(Nice weather.)

And, it's been near a week since removing the old 750G for a 2T
replacement - and my old MB high temps are gone! Totally!

Rock-solid temps -- highest is AUX of 113F, MB's 106F, and CPU hovers
pretty much at 90F. (Prior temps, respectively, 125-130F for both
AUX/MB & 115F for CPU).

All because of a 750G HDD...come on - that surely deserves an entry
for _The Guinness Book of World Records_ in its _Weirdly Whacked Out_
section.