Wireless hard disk and SMART data

Old February 21st 15, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default Wireless hard disk and SMART data

If a hard disk could be connected using wireless methods, does it mean I
could wipe their SMART data without opening the packages?

Oh no....

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old February 21st 15, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

If a hard disk could be connected using wireless methods, does it mean I
could wipe their SMART data without opening the packages?

Oh no....

Is there such an animal ?

Paul
Old February 22nd 15, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:14:40 -0500, Paul wrote:

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

If a hard disk could be connected using wireless methods, does it mean I
could wipe their SMART data without opening the packages?

Oh no....

Is there such an animal ?

I've only seen wireless usb thumbdrives, (some routers presumably
would be USB ported), as well manufacturer fixed-function (transparent
- it can't be addressed, but performs its own algorithms) nand on
hybrid platters.
Old February 22nd 15, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 22/2/15 3:14 AM, Paul wrote:
Is there such an animal ?

Maybe I worried about too much ....

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora release 21) Linux 3.18.7-200.fc21.i686+PAE
^ ^ 20:21:01 up 2 days 22:18 0 users load average: 0.06 0.04 0.09
Old February 22nd 15, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:22:45 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 22/2/15 3:14 AM, Paul wrote:
Is there such an animal ?

Maybe I worried about too much ....

Well, according to advertisements, there ARE lots of wireless hard
drives. None that I found gives any details about whether it's
possible to access them while they're still packaged..... but I'd
suspect that the wireless capability has to be set up manually,
probably wired.
Old February 23rd 15, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 23/2/15 3:12 AM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
Well, according to advertisements, there ARE lots of wireless hard
drives. None that I found gives any details about whether it's
possible to access them while they're still packaged..... but I'd
suspect that the wireless capability has to be set up manually,
probably wired.

It will be stupid insert a wireless chip directly onto the circuit board
of hard disks....