Which PCI-E Slot for USB 3.0 Card???

Old February 14th 13, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
NBK[_6_]

Default Which PCI-E Slot for USB 3.0 Card???

Hi,

I own a Maximus Formula motherboard. Currently, i have the USB 3.0 card in the secondary PCI-E video slot. I would like to move it to the black PCI-E 1.0x slot, because my two USB 3.0 hard disk drives are resting too close to the floor. Would doing effect speed of the USB 3.0 HDDs?

Thanks
NBK
Old February 14th 13, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_20_]

On 14/02/2013 14:06, NBK wrote:
Hi,

I own a Maximus Formula motherboard. Currently, i have the USB 3.0 card in the secondary PCI-E video slot. I would like to move it to the black PCI-E 1.0x slot, because my two USB 3.0 hard disk drives are resting too close to the floor. Would doing effect speed of the USB 3.0 HDDs?

Thanks
NBK

What USB3 card is it? It is a X1 card?
--
Rob

Old February 14th 13, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
NBK[_6_]

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:21:00 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:
On 14/02/2013 14:06, NBK wrote:

Hi,

I own a Maximus Formula motherboard. Currently, i have the USB 3.0 card in the secondary PCI-E video slot. I would like to move it to the black PCI-E 1.0x slot, because my two USB 3.0 hard disk drives are resting too close to the floor. Would doing effect speed of the USB 3.0 HDDs?

Thanks

NBK

What USB3 card is it? It is a X1 card?

--

Rob

A SIIG USB 3.0 PCI-E card. It is an 1x card.
Old February 14th 13, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob[_20_]

On 14/02/2013 14:06, NBK wrote:

Hi,

I own a Maximus Formula motherboard. Currently, i have the USB 3.0 card in the secondary PCI-E video slot. I would like to move it to the black PCI-E 1.0x slot, because my two USB 3.0 hard disk drives are resting too close to the floor. Would doing effect speed of the USB 3.0 HDDs?

Thanks

NBK

What USB3 card is it? It is a X1 card?

--

Rob

A SIIG USB 3.0 PCI-E card. It is an 1x card.

In that case it should run no slower when in a 1x pcie slot.
Max bandwidth of 1 pcie channel is 5Gbps and max for USB3 is 4.8Gbps.
There are no USB3 devices which get anywhere near that yet.
A typical USB3 hard drive can only sustain about 1Gbps (ie
about 120 MB/S) although it may have tiny bursts faster than that
(not something you'll notice in the real world.)
HTH
--
Rob