WD "Black" 1TB or 2TB good as an OS disc?

Old July 10th 11, 01:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
The Henchman[_3_]

Default WD "Black" 1TB or 2TB good as an OS disc?

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot of video
playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

Old July 10th 11, 01:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

The Henchman wrote

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot
of video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

Old July 10th 11, 03:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 7/9/2011 8:23 PM, The Henchman wrote:
I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot of
video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

I use a 1TB drive as my boot drive. However, I have the OS portion
partitioned off from the data portion, as making an image of a 1TB+ OS
partition would be suicidal. I've assigned about 128GB to the OS
portion, and the rest is data and a little bit of Linux too.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 10th 11, 03:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

The Henchman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Henchman wrote

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot
of video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

My understanding was Seagate bought Samsung's HD business about 3 months ago...

You can till buy Samsung branded hard drives right now.

Old July 11th 11, 12:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 7/9/2011 6:24 PM, The Henchman wrote:

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.

I read something about Samsung being bought by another HD company, and
the support going to hell. That scared me away from getting an F4 Eco.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 11th 11, 01:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 7/9/2011 7:10 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

I use a 1TB drive as my boot drive. However, I have the OS portion
partitioned off from the data portion, as making an image of a 1TB+ OS
partition would be suicidal. I've assigned about 128GB to the OS
portion, and the rest is data and a little bit of Linux too.

Me too. 30 to Win 7, 20 to XP, and the rest to volumes in an extended
partition, except for some at the end for experiments -- copying, say,
Win 7 down there and booting it and trying stuff that might break it
before doing it to the real one. I would image it first also so I can
get back to normal easily, and without affecting the data. I run some
apps as Portable Apps from the data partition. For instance, Firefox and
Thunderbird (they both have to be up to call each other properly). At
least, I would put the mail store of a mail program in the data
partition. My Documents is able to be directed to a partition other than C:.

Old July 11th 11, 08:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

The Henchman wrote:

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for a lot of video
playback and desktop publishing and photo editing. No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black 2TB or
equavilent Seagate.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them. I've used WD
greens as storage. good drive quiet, not as slow as I was led to believe
but then again they are storage.

Great in-depth reviews at http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/

How slow were you led to believe WD Greens would be, and was that
person a flake?
Old July 11th 11, 09:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
larry moe 'n curly

Ed Light wrote:

I read something about Samsung being bought by another HD company, and
the support going to hell. That scared me away from getting an F4 Eco.

How can their tech support get any worse when it's already the worst
among the HD makers? I've never been treated nearly as badly as with
WD, Hitachi, or Seagate.
Old July 11th 11, 09:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:59:53 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Great in-depth reviews at http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/

How slow were you led to believe WD Greens would be, and was that
person a flake?

ISTM that WD's Green drives are Advanced Format models, so this means
that they derive a 10% benefit in transfer rates simply due to 4KB
sectoring. AISI, a non-AF drive that spins at the same speed would
need to have a platter density that was some 20% greater in order to
match this performance gain.

- Franc Zabkar