Worthwhile upgrade?

Old October 18th 04, 12:19 PM
me!!

Default Worthwhile upgrade?

Hi at the moment i have the following:

Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
768mb ddr 400 ram
asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
geforce 6800nu gfx
plextor dvdrw
hdds etc

Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?

thanks

paul
Old October 18th 04, 04:17 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:19:15 +0000, me!! wrote:

Hi at the moment i have the following:

Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
768mb ddr 400 ram
asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
geforce 6800nu gfx
plextor dvdrw
hdds etc

Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?

thanks

paul

Most people on this earth would give their eye teeth to have that setup
you have and you want to "upgrade" already? Count your lucky stars my boy
and enjoy what you have.

Larry Gagnon

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old October 18th 04, 06:41 PM
Don Burnette

me!! wrote:
Hi at the moment i have the following:

Athlon xp 3200+ cpu
768mb ddr 400 ram
asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
geforce 6800nu gfx
plextor dvdrw
hdds etc

Is it going to be worth it for me to replace the xp3200+ and the
motherboard with another asus amd64 motherboard ( not sure which one
yet ) and either a amd64 2800+ or a 3000+. Would i notice much of a
difference in speed to my current setup, bearing in mind that the +
ratings are both less than my present xp chip? also if i get the 3000+
should it get the socket 754 version or 939 version?

thanks

paul

Yes, you should definitely see improvement, even in 32 bit applications.
Plus, you'll be ready to go when 64 Bit Windows XP hits the streets.

I would go for the 939 version, with the introduction of the new lower cost
90 nm Winchester core. Before hearing about this, I would have voted for a
socket 754 to have while the dust settled on the 939's.

Check out http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242 to get more
info and how to identify if the 64 bit cpu is the newer 90 nm core.

I plan on doing the same upgrade, using an Asus 64 bit board, and probably a
3200+ cpu.

Understand, how much improvement you see, in your mind, may not justify the
expense - that is up to you. You may prefer to wait for the prices to come
down even further, and for pci express to get into the mainstream.
Certainly, you have a powerful system now - I am runing an Athlon XP 2800+
overclocked to 3200+ speeds, with a Radeon 9800 Pro video card. It still
runs anything I throw at it, quite well. But I do enjoy upgrading hardware,
if I go too many months without changing something, I start having
withdrawels .

--
Don Burnette