Dell Dimension E521+Windows XP MCE 2005+SP3 Experience

Old May 16th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich/rerat

Default Dell Dimension E521+Windows XP MCE 2005+SP3 Experience

*** This message has been REPOSTED not CROSS-POSTED in Both MS Newsgroups
and the Dell related Newsgroup ***
Sorry about that, but I use two (2) different News Servers.

To anyone interested,
Before you do a SP3 upgrade, I can't stress enough, that you should purchase
a backup or imaging program like Acronis TrueImage, (version 10 or higher
should be your choice.) Make a backup/image of your current OS, so if you
have problems, you can easily return to a working copy of your OS. Saves
alot of grey hair, and headaches.

If you have the following Dell PC (or other models) with an AMD Processor,
and using the image that was installed by the factory, you have run into the
reboot problem that occured after installing XP SP3 update:

(My Configuration)
Dell Dimension E521
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 Ghz
3 GB of RAM
80 GB Primary HDD
500 GB Secondary HDD
Windows XP MCE 2005
Using the restore image from the factory/hidden partition.
MS LifeCam VX-6000
Windows Live Messenger (current version)

There is a fixed mentioned on the net to change a registry setting in XP,
before trying to install XP SP3. This did not work for me. After making a
backup of the keys listed below, I deleted/removed the following registry
Keys:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\i ntelppm
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\i ntelppm
Or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\i ntelppm (Random
ControlSet #)

These keys will have a reference of:
"DisplayName: Intel Processor driver"
Dword: Start
Value: 4 (Hex) (This value did not work for me.)

I did not have to remove the following keys, because it referred to an event
log. The upgrade worked, and I left the keys there in the registry.

3.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Eventlog\System\intelppm
4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\E ventlog\System\intelppm

After the upgrade, things may still be a little sluggish still, I found that
I had to remove, then reinstall, or upgrade several IM programs, digital/web
cameras and their drivers/programs, some Dell Hardware drivers, etc... I
also upgraded from MS Media Player10 to 11. Had sound issues. Do these
changes after the SP3 upgdate not before. Also do another Microsft/Windows
Update check.

--
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule

Old May 17th 08, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich/rerat

Tony Pacc,
Does your installation of XP MCE 2005, come from the "GHOST" image on the
HDD, or the original factory installed one? Or did you reinstall every thing
from scratch to get rid of all the bloatware from Dell, using the restore
CD? I had the reboot problem if I tried to upgrade the "Ghost" version of
the installation. When I used the restore CD, then the offending KEY(s),
were not added to my registry, so they might not be present on your PC.

I believe that Dell, used the same HDD images for similar Intel and AMD PC
models. My PC was purchased out of the Dell Outlet store Jan'07, and is much
older than yours based on the processor you have. The factory/"GHOST"
installation image may have been altered after my PC purchase. The "Ghost"
image on my PC, had most of the MS Updates, to Dec 2004. There was a similar
problem with a previous MS update with AMD and/or MCE, that required
Registry Keys to be altered sometime after the Dec'04 date, I believe.

--
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
I have a e521 AMD 5600+,I had no problem installing SP3 on XP MCE 2005

. ..