Dell Inspiron 6000, the system does not boot

Old November 21st 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell Inspiron 6000, the system does not boot

recently I am not able to turn on my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000).
the battery light indicates that it is still full.
I unplugged batter and AC power and press power button 15 secs for
discharge.
pugged AC and press power button, but it did not boot.

Old November 21st 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
alien

wrote in message
ups.com...
recently I am not able to turn on my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000).
the battery light indicates that it is still full.
I unplugged batter and AC power and press power button 15 secs for
discharge.
pugged AC and press power button, but it did not boot.

This happened to my daughters 700M yesterday. It was plugged in,
turned on, and running the windows xp screen saver instead of her regular
one. (I've seen this happen when XP auto updates itself and auto reboots
itself) She unplugged it from the power cord and she said it made a whiring
sound and turned off. When she hit the power button to turn it back on,
nothing happened.
Enter Dad. I probably should have taken out the battery, but I just
held the power button down. After about 5 seconds I saw some lights blink
on the laptop, then nothing. I let go after seeing the lights and waited
about a minute. When I tried the power button again it started booting but
I knew we were still in trouble. It was booting, but in Super slow motion.
The blue XP bar was moving but only about a quarter of the way across every
10 -15 seconds. So I waited .... and waited ..... and waited. Finally
after about 10 minutes the blue progress bar went away like it always does
on a regular boot and went to the black screen portion of the boot before
you get to the sign in screen. I waited about another 20 minutes and
although the laptop was still powered (you could see a faint glow to the
screen) it didn't appear to be accessing the hard drive anymore. So I held
down the power button again and 5 seconds later it powered off.
This time after turning it back on I got the "windows xp didn't start
normally" screen and picked the safe mode boot. It didn't take long for the
boot this time and after getting to the log on screen I picked "shut down
the computer" rather than signing on. Restarted and it booted just as fast
as always and I logged on with no problems. I didn't get the "windows has
recovered from a serious error" window that I've seen in the past with other
computers that had problems like this.
I checked the battery thinking that maybe it had lost it's charge
somehow, but the meter in control panel said 100% charged and the icon down
by the clock said 5:00 hours remaining when I unplugged the power cord.
It seems to me like there was some kind of conflict with a windows
update and unplugging the computer before signing in after a reboot, but
I'll probably never know for sure. It seems fine now.

alien