USB sata docking station

Old February 7th 09, 11:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
alo

Default USB sata docking station

Hello...

I have a NEWlink USB 2.0 / eSATA Docking Station.. connects externally
to PC via sata or usb cable, and I have a 250GB HD in it...and it
works fine.

But how should I turn it off, or remove it from my PC if the PC is
still running?

It won't let me power it down via remove usb device. It has a power
switch bult into it, but if I just turn it off is there a chance of
damaging the heads?

Thanks

Old February 7th 09, 01:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously alo wrote:
Hello...

I have a NEWlink USB 2.0 / eSATA Docking Station.. connects externally
to PC via sata or usb cable, and I have a 250GB HD in it...and it
works fine.

But how should I turn it off, or remove it from my PC if the PC is
still running?

It won't let me power it down via remove usb device. It has a power
switch bult into it, but if I just turn it off is there a chance of
damaging the heads?

No danger to the heads, but you can lose an arbitrary amount
of data, including the entire filesystem.

How do remove it right depends on our OS. If this is something
substandard from Microsoft, you need to mark it as removable
in the drive properties. And you cannot power it down remotely,
you can only remove it. Power down has to be done via the power
switch, after safe removal from the machine.

Arno

Old February 7th 09, 05:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
alo

On 7 Feb 2009 13:25:51 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

But how should I turn it off, or remove it from my PC if the PC is
still running?

It won't let me power it down via remove usb device. It has a power
switch bult into it, but if I just turn it off is there a chance of
damaging the heads?

No danger to the heads, but you can lose an arbitrary amount
of data, including the entire filesystem.

How do remove it right depends on our OS. If this is something
substandard from Microsoft, you need to mark it as removable
in the drive properties. And you cannot power it down remotely,
you can only remove it. Power down has to be done via the power
switch, after safe removal from the machine.

OK thanks for information... and yes it is windows xp pro I am
running.
Old February 8th 09, 09:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN

In article , Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously alo wrote:
Hello...

I have a NEWlink USB 2.0 / eSATA Docking Station.. connects externally
to PC via sata or usb cable, and I have a 250GB HD in it...and it
works fine.

But how should I turn it off, or remove it from my PC if the PC is
still running?

It won't let me power it down via remove usb device. It has a power
switch bult into it, but if I just turn it off is there a chance of
damaging the heads?

No danger to the heads, but you can lose an arbitrary amount
of data, including the entire filesystem.

You just configure the drive to "Optimize for quick removal" and disable
"Write Caching"