USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

Old July 1st 08, 01:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
alo

Default USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

Hello...

I have a USB memory stick and everytime I insert it into a PC (running
WinXP pro) symantec finds 3 x 'loader.exe' on it.

I have formmatted the stick a number of times but each time Auto
protect keeps finding this worm.

Could it be that there is something built into the memory stick that
formatting will not wipe, there is nothing showing on the stick
itself, but on 3 different machines the antivirus has found this
trojan horse 'loader.exe'...

Maybe I should throw it away.

Old July 1st 08, 06:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
The Coward Robert Ford

alo wrote in news:2l8k6457dtb97tvct3mom01nindfp5a1vb@
4ax.com:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-2575.html
Old July 1st 08, 09:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 2nd 08, 07:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
alo

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:45:58 -0700, Ed Light
wrote:

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

Tks
Old July 2nd 08, 07:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

wrote:

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool. You may want to apply a
disk-wiper first (one overwrite is enough).

Arno
Old July 2nd 08, 08:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rene

"Arno Wagner" schreef in bericht
wrote:

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool.

No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just rightclick on
"My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the management console he should
pick disk managment and then the drives appear at the right / bottom of the
screen. Then he can right click on the usb stick's partitions and remove
them and afterward create new ones as well.

Good luck to OP!

Yours sincerely,
Rene

Old July 2nd 08, 08:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
The Coward Robert Ford

"Rene" wrote in
:

No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just
rightclick on "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the
management console he should pick disk managment and then the drives
appear at the right / bottom of the screen. Then he can right click on
the usb stick's partitions and remove them and afterward create new
ones as well.

Good luck to OP!

Yours sincerely,
Rene

First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
too and reinstall.
Old July 2nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

wrote:

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

That is unlikely. If you quick format the flash drive, but loader.exe comes back,
then you have malware on you system partition. Solve that problem first.

How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

Of course. You can even unpartition it by zeroing the MBR.
Old July 2nd 08, 10:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

wrote:

I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool.

No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition.

Sorry, meant the "standard parrtitioning tool".

Arno
Old July 2nd 08, 11:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:20:20 GMT, The Coward Robert Ford
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Rene" wrote in
:

No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just
rightclick on "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the
management console he should pick disk managment and then the drives
appear at the right / bottom of the screen. Then he can right click on
the usb stick's partitions and remove them and afterward create new
ones as well.

Good luck to OP!

Yours sincerely,
Rene

First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
too and reinstall.

I'm wondering if the Trojan autoruns whenever the OP inserts his/her
USB drive. In this way all his/her XP machines would have become
infected.

- Franc Zabkar

Sony Memory Stick - what memory to use? Pete L General 3 May 5th 07 06:47 PM
need help id memory stick yankee1255 General 2 June 15th 06 04:24 PM
256meg ECC Reg memory appearing as 512meg? Noozer General 2 August 30th 04 02:52 AM
Memory stick Dave Printers 2 April 7th 04 04:10 AM
memory stick stacy becks General Hardware 0 October 27th 03 09:14 PM