64 bit help.

Old August 13th 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
robin gordon

Default 64 bit help.

i succummed to my friends opinions and decided to build a new pc. I was
moving from XP2500+ (205FSB) and Nvidia 6800 (128) Graphics to Opteron 144
with ATI x850XT PE graphics.
i used 2x 256 Corsair PC3200 ram to get me started. i'm using ah Hitachi
250GB harddrive.
after getting the whole thing threw together i got a bitter disappointment,
finding that all the benchmark progs say my old system was as fast as my new
one.
overclocking i can get the opty to 2.5GHz but games pause and creep and take
an very long time to load. Even if i get killed and have to wait on the
game reloading, it takes an absolute age.
where am i going wrong. i even installed XP64 to get a little improvement
but alas it is little.
Do i need more ram or is the bottle neck somewhere else.

My specs a
Opteron 144 running at 2.5GHz
Gigabyte K8n Sli mobo (f9 bios)
Freezer Pro 64 artic cooling CPU cooler
512 MB Corsair pc3200 ddr400
ATi X850 XT PE (256MB)
Hitachi TK250 HDD
Windows XP64 SP1.

i have all the latest drivers, all 64 bit.

Robin

Old August 13th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

In article , "robin gordon"
wrote:

[...]

For gaming, I would use 2x512MB ram. Buy more ram, remove the
2x256 and only use the 2x512. Buying 512MB sticks is usually
safe, as there is only one common form of construction for the
sticks.

Or if you have the funds, find some quality 2x1GB sticks and
only use those. With 1GB sticks, you only want to buy branded
product, not generic sticks or sticks off Ebay. For 1GB sticks,
the chip type should be 64Mx8 (512megabit technology), and not
the el-cheapo 128Mx4 type. I expect with the small amount of memory,
the game is swapping to disk.

The reason for using only two slots of the four available on
a S939 motherboard, is so you can use the Command Rate 1T
memory setting, which gives better memory performance.

Paul
Old August 14th 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
foreign steel

Paul wrote:
In article , "robin gordon"
wrote:

[...]

This hitachi HD. Or maybe the cool n quiet

Old August 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
job

Forget 64 bit.Go back to Windows XP.
Early 64 bit drivers may not be up to standards.
And yea,double your ram.

Old August 15th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Geoff

"robin gordon" wrote in message
i succummed to my friends opinions and decided to build a new pc. I was
moving from XP2500+ (205FSB) and Nvidia 6800 (128) Graphics to Opteron 144
with ATI x850XT PE graphics.
i used 2x 256 Corsair PC3200 ram to get me started.

hang on, you swapped a nice easy overclock system for a 1.8ghz cpu ?
(2500+ was 1.833ghz, easy overclock to 2.2ghz)
and the video card isn't much of an improvement either
and you have 512 meg ram too
don't bother with win64 currently, i think it's only *really* needed when
you get past 2gig of ram
you want 1gig of ram, pref 2gig

Old August 15th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
robin gordon

i was under the impression that the 1 M cache and 64 bit architecture would
be vastly superior to my athlon system. I`d heard that these things can be
o/c'd to 3 GHz. If i change the memory ratio, HTT etc. i can actually get
2.8GHz with a the freezer pro on air cooling.
i'm not sure about ram timings etc... so i aasume there's room for
improvement.
i will wait until i can purchase some more RAM. 1 Gig or 2 Gig if i can
afford it.

Thanks everyone.

Robin

P.S. can anyone recommend a good link for setting up ram timings in BIOS.

TIA

Old August 17th 06, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
NoNoBadDog!

"foreign steel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul wrote:
In article , "robin gordon"
wrote:

[...]

Neither of which is causing his problem.

Bobby