Cold as a witch tits

Old February 27th 15, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Cold as a witch tits

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-S.../dp/B008UH3NB8
/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425014828&sr =1-1&keywords=cold+freeze+spray

Dahmn Sahmn. That's surely one bitchin' $20 can of of shipped Ice
Queen. This sort of thing ought to be well under $5, say, at types of
AutoStores for testing circuits/continuity and thermal breakdown
conditions. Trick, I suppose, is getting the right substitute, of a
good many applicable compressed products;- one that doesn't destroy a
$700 PCB, might be nice, specifically with base propellant chemicals
for constituting a given product's electrical-friendly coefficient.
Did I say that about right, or is the noise from my 60gal. compressor,
in my garage, too loud? Can't have everything, I guess;- I only paid
$200 for the 60g. C&H air-compressor, new&shipped in.
Old February 27th 15, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Flasherly wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-S.../dp/B008UH3NB8
/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425014828&sr =1-1&keywords=cold+freeze+spray

Dahmn Sahmn. That's surely one bitchin' $20 can of of shipped Ice
Queen. This sort of thing ought to be well under $5, say, at types of
AutoStores for testing circuits/continuity and thermal breakdown
conditions. Trick, I suppose, is getting the right substitute, of a
good many applicable compressed products;- one that doesn't destroy a
$700 PCB, might be nice, specifically with base propellant chemicals
for constituting a given product's electrical-friendly coefficient.
Did I say that about right, or is the noise from my 60gal. compressor,
in my garage, too loud? Can't have everything, I guess;- I only paid
$200 for the 60g. C&H air-compressor, new&shipped in.

We used to buy the freeze spray by the case, at work.

But it is affected by what one reviewer reported. Some
of the cans will have nothing inside, when you go to use
them. An aerosol container isn't the best thing to hold
the refrigerant inside. So you'll actually be playing
"$20 roulette" if you buy a can. You could get an empty
can (and of course, not receive satisfaction from the seller).

And the statement "one can lasts a long time", it will
last until the contents leak out on their own.

If you use that stuff and hit a windowed UV erasable
EPROM, you can kill it. We killed some while working
in the lab. So it's not like all integrated circuits
can take a sudden thermal shock or static buildup from the
activity outside the IC. Of course, no one uses windowed
EPROMs any more, so that particular part would not be
a concern.

Paul
Old February 27th 15, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Paul wrote:

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

Someone in high school said he got frostbite from the spray.
I word it that way because I'm not sure if he just thought he
got frostbite, certainly he suffered no long term loss.

Michael

Old February 27th 15, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Paul wrote:

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

It'll nip you the way liquid nitrogen would. Just
be careful to not let any liquid "sit on your skin".
If there are liquid particles anywhere in the vicinity,
shake them off at your earliest convenience.

You'll know the next day, if you let any cryogenic
material sit on your skin too long. There'll be enough
sensation, to remind you to not do it again. And it'll
leave some marks, so you know where you got hit.

Paul
Old February 27th 15, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:43:03 -0500, Paul wrote:

If you use that stuff and hit a windowed UV erasable
EPROM, you can kill it. We killed some while working
in the lab. So it's not like all integrated circuits
can take a sudden thermal shock or static buildup from the
activity outside the IC. Of course, no one uses windowed
EPROMs any more, so that particular part would not be
a concern.

Happen to note on a quick side an academic paper or Scientific
American article where normal computer memory -- which immediately
loses its storage states without refresh strobes -- sprayed with that
stuff, then effectively "frozen," will retain its last generated
contents. The article was billed along a "hacker device," eh - sneak
into an embassy and steal a VIP's laptop, in hibernation state,
freeze-pull it's memory while in hibernation, in order to crack their
contents. Something along that line.

I'll settle for a couple suspect ribbon cables, though, for starters.
Already been through it with amplifiers and associated PCB solder
joints, near input jacks, that due to machine-soldered manufacturing
deficiencies, or whatever reason, were just looking for an excuse to
become cold-solder joints, intermittently open from the stress of
plugging in guitar 1/4-Phillips jacks.

This one's only a little different, as it's not about a reflow job,
but potentially substandard design capacitor implementation in the
power supply, I might be able to address for potentially long and
satisfying usage for an otherwise outstanding piece of
futuristic/computer-aided sound gear. (Hey, I've an American-built
200watt-peak Carver amplifier, picked up out of a pawnshop, ages ago,
that seems built almost older than me;- Heavy Iron and still respected
among amps for an age when American-built standards were once
standards. Times I've been tempted to update to a slightly truer
RMS-rated Crown, I get to feeling dirty, like an adulterer.)