PC only boots after on/off/on cycle ?

Old November 28th 12, 03:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Don McKenzie

Default PC only boots after on/off/on cycle ?

The sad part about this thread is that someone apparently in need of assistance asks for it, everyone including me jumps
in to help, then the original poster either doesn't read the thread, or decides not to follow it, and doesn't respond in
anyway.

Leaving all follow up posters to guess at the problem and the fix.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $25 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-m...-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Old November 28th 12, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Spuckle

On 28/11/2012 11:40 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:

The sad part about this thread is that someone apparently in need of
assistance asks for it, everyone including me jumps in to help, then the
original poster either doesn't read the thread, or decides not to follow
it, and doesn't respond in anyway.

Leaving all follow up posters to guess at the problem and the fix.

Don...

Don, I'm amazed anyone who have been around these NG's for more than a
month or so replies to "Skybuck".

You have to give him points for persistent trolling!

Old November 28th 12, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
ChairmanOfTheBored

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:40:28 +1100, Don McKenzie wrote:

The sad part about this thread is that someone apparently in
need of assistance asks for it, everyone including me jumps
in to help, then the original poster either doesn't read the
thread, or decides not to follow it, and doesn't respond in
anyway.

"any way'

IFYPFY

Leaving all follow up posters to guess at the problem and the fix.

Don...

It's a dead battery.

Usenet line length should be held below 73 characters.
Old November 28th 12, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Don McKenzie

On 28-Nov-12 3:52 PM, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:40:28 +1100, Don McKenzie wrote:

The sad part about this thread is that someone apparently in
need of assistance asks for it, everyone including me jumps
in to help, then the original poster either doesn't read the
thread, or decides not to follow it, and doesn't respond in
anyway.

"any way'

IFYPFY

Leaving all follow up posters to guess at the problem and the fix.

Don...

It's a dead battery.

Usenet line length should be held below 73 characters.

Hmmmm..... Just reset from 120 back to 72
Don't know why it gets out of wack from time to time.
Could be the number of Tbird versions.

"Any way", appears OK now. :-)

Don...

Old November 29th 12, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Your damn battery is dead in your PC!!!!

At first it sounded logical, me being at a loss I gave it a shot, I went to
the store and bought 2 batteries which are exactly like the previous one.

CR 2032 VARTA it says jul-2022 so I guess these batteries will last 10 years
or so.

I tried it, I put them into the PC.

Today I booted the PC and nothing, again a black screen. I had to boot it
twice.

Now that I think about it some more it wasn't logical after all.

I have never seen a PC boot to a black screen because of a dead battery.

It could probably simulate that scenerio by leaving the battery out of it...
but won't do it now maybe later.

So another 10 bucks wasted but it was worth a shot.

Now back to other theories why this could be happening:

1. The motherboard is simply damage in some way when the previous power
supply blew.

2. Perhaps the power on switch header is wrongly connected.

3. Perhaps it has something to do with the power on button. I never liked
that button... I suspect it has something to do with it... maybe it produces
a power surge of some kind.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 29th 12, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Don McKenzie" wrote in message

The sad part about this thread is that someone apparently in need of
assistance asks for it, everyone including me jumps in to help, then the
original poster either doesn't read the thread, or decides not to follow
it, and doesn't respond in anyway.

Leaving all follow up posters to guess at the problem and the fix.

Don...

I have read all threads as usual... and I tried to fix it (battery
replacement)... unfortunately no success so far.

I did try an overclock long ago to see how that turned out from 450 mhz to
600 mhz... then it frooze once, maybe that damaged the processor's boot
capabilities in some way... but I don't think so...

Even my DreamPC sometimes had booting problems with this chieftec case and
the seasonic s12 600 watt power supply... now my Pentium III 450 mhz uses it
and some of that behaviour is the same but now even worse... it does it
almost each time.

Later today I will pick up 2 new motherboards to fix my DreamPC 2006... and
also new memory of the old Pentium III 450 mhz...

Once that works I will take pictures of the pentium III 450 mhz bios
settings so you guys can have a look at it... maybe you will spot something
weird... I never really had to set it up in the bios to get it booting
properly so it's probably unlikely that it's a bios setting that is causing
trouble but will show anyway.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 29th 12, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Flasherly[_2_]

On Nov 29, 5:15 am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
[...]

You'd know immediately if it were the power button. Had one with
intermittent connects when engaging. MB responses are immediate to
that sort of sensitivity. It'll stand out like a sore thumb or
electrical shock. Power supplies, though, can be some of the worst
ways to go about troubleshooting for problems that there wouldn't
appear neither rhyme nor reason for. I know there have been instances
when I simply took a spare power supply I had around for new stock,
and simply connected it for nothing more worse for wear than a quick
fix. An intuitive hunch that went down as quick as a Hostess
Twinkie. Still, and though my days of buying dirt-cheap, no-name PS
units may have passed, I'll still never again fully trust them. MBs,
past PS units, just possibly might come in second place for insidious
reasons for demon-possessed computers -- like the MB I had that slowly
at first, but with a persistently advancing appetite, would eat up and
then, sooner than later, spit out all my perfectly ruined but
beautiful, hand-selected power supply units.

The PS is still the cheaper alternative to a no-brainer, bald-faced,
modular swap-out fix attempt. Who says it has to be gamer or server
grade? May be a local unit from a chain store, that from "all
indications," didn't quite fit the bill for a return on purchase
price, you do understand. Order out for the real stuff -- nor, a bad
idea, at all, to have a spare from when they're on sale. It should
then make a unmistakable difference, if the problem is one of
emancipated electrons.
Old November 29th 12, 12:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
JW

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 04:11:04 -0800 (PST) Flasherly
wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

[...]

Uhhh... Yeah, what he said.
Old November 29th 12, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Flasherly[_2_]

On Nov 29, 7:46 am, JW wrote:

Uhhh... Yeah, what he said.

Damn, and I just finished upgrading my last remaining spare power
supply with the rest of a new computer?
Old November 29th 12, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
JW

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 05:03:37 -0800 (PST) Flasherly
wrote in Message id:
:

On Nov 29, 7:46 am, JW wrote:

Uhhh... Yeah, what he said.

Damn, and I just finished upgrading my last remaining spare power
supply with the rest of a new computer?

Is that what happened? Well, whaddya know.

Printer Duty cycle Doug Printers 6 December 5th 07 12:01 AM
Power generation...by cycle? General 2 December 20th 06 07:33 AM
boots fine 2 out of 3 times. boots to safe mode every third time senn Homebuilt PC's 2 January 2nd 05 10:10 AM
FLOPS per Cycle on a P4 Andre Intel 0 August 19th 03 08:10 AM