Dummy battery/slot filler

Old August 2nd 11, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Corvet

Default Dummy battery/slot filler

I just wondering if there is a dummy battery insert/slot filler that exists
for Dell Vostro 1520? I just often use laptop on AC and remove battery;
is there anywhere a plastic "dummy" battery to fill up the space? As I know
there was such thing for Dell Latitude D410

Old August 2nd 11, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Corvet wrote:

I just wondering if there is a dummy battery insert/slot filler that exists
for Dell Vostro 1520? I just often use laptop on AC and remove battery;
is there anywhere a plastic "dummy" battery to fill up the space? As I know
there was such thing for Dell Latitude D410

Unless there is a defect in the charging circuit inside your laptop, why
are you removing the battery and leaving it out for extended periods?
After all, without the battery in place, you can't configure the laptop
(for those that have the option) to periodically cycle your battery
which is needed to extended its life. A battery that's charged and then
left in a drawer somewhere to completely drain away and remain in that
state will not last as long or take as high a charge.

What are you expecting to "save" by removing the battery when you are
using an A/C power source for the laptop?
Old August 2nd 11, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

VanguardLH wrote:
Corvet wrote:

[...]

I take my battery out when on A/C. By removing the mass of the battery
my laptop runs cooler. I do check the charge once and while like
yesterday when it was down to 20%. I just put the battery back in the
laptop and let it recharge.

I am not going to get in to an argument with people that agree or do not
agree. End of discussion for me.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Old August 3rd 11, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Bill Bradshaw wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:
Corvet wrote:

[...]

Look inside the battery compartment. Are there really slots in the case
for air flow in/out of the battery compartment? More likely you have an
old battery that won't take a full charge so it is always charging.
Batteries generate heat when recharging.

I am not going to get in to an argument with people that agree or do not
agree. End of discussion for me.

Yeah, so your post is a worthless diary entry.

Old August 3rd 11, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

GT wrote:

VanguardLH wrote ...

Corvet wrote:

I just often use laptop on AC and remove battery; is there anywhere
a plastic "dummy" battery to fill up the space?

What are you expecting to "save" by removing the battery when you are
using an A/C power source for the laptop?

Weight perhaps?!

How often do you use a laptop atop your lap? When you do, how often do
you have the laptop tethered to a cord and brick for A/C power? More
likely the OP has the laptop atop a table or desk when on A/C power.

The "battery cover" that I've seen for the Dells was for the CMOS
coin-cell battery. Got an example of a battery cover for the main
battery's compartment? If so, the ad for it might explain its use.

There are venting holes in the battery compartment? The OP gave a D410
as an example. In the "Before Working Inside Your Computer" section of
its manual (link given below), I don't see venting holes.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../en/ug/r_r.htm

I'm thinking the battery has the rubber feet so the absence of the
battery means there are no rear feet to stabilize the laptop and less
rubber feet means more likely to move during use (if on a table or desk
versus on a lap). However, without the rubber feet on the battery pack,
that means the rear of the laptop is closer to the table or desk. That
means more restriction in the air flow out the bottom fan air vent in
the case. Well, that was a concern when I was looking at the D410 that
the OP gave as an example. The service manual (linked below) shows the
rubber feet are not on the battery pack for the Vostro 1520:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...SM/td_batt.htm

I don't see venting holes in that battery compartment, either, although
it's possible there are small holes in the case that could allow air to
get sucked in. The pic isn't good enough to tell. If there are holes
in the battery compartment to let in air, and even if that shows a lower
temperature on the CPU, what about the temperature for the rest of the
components since air flow has changed?
Old August 4th 11, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:10:24 +0300, "Corvet"
wrote:

I just wondering if there is a dummy battery insert/slot filler that exists
for Dell Vostro 1520? I just often use laptop on AC and remove battery;
is there anywhere a plastic "dummy" battery to fill up the space? As I know
there was such thing for Dell Latitude D410

Some people would. I never really had a need for a laptop battery
outside of where outlets where always handy. Nor did the
manufacturers. IBM, couple Toshibas -- all of which operated just
peachy with the battery removed.

Not so with other brands, or so I've heard.

I walked into an automotive shop once similarly to ask if they had a
dumb $15 pulley handy to replace the air compressor unit.

A mechanic's true confessions from a bad hairday: "Who the hell you
think you are, an old man or something too cheap to pay 2cents extra
for the gas?"

Customer service can sometimes be a bitch. Will your Dell work gutted
off the wallwart, or otherwise . . . ever done any silver soldering?
Old August 4th 11, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
GT wrote:

VanguardLH wrote ...

Corvet wrote:

[...]

There are a few holes in the battery compartment - I know because I used
them to drain the cup of tea out of my Dell case a couple of years ago!!
There are also gaps in the CD compartment, so he should remove that too, if
he wants to increase cooling and reduce weight.

HP Filler Tray for MSA 60? Will Compaq Computers 1 June 17th 08 02:27 PM
Power Supply Filler for MSA 50? Will Compaq Servers 0 January 28th 08 03:03 AM
Filler pieces Jon Homebuilt PC's 15 January 24th 07 01:38 AM
Please help a dummy!!! Jakob Hellberg Storage (alternative) 0 October 15th 04 12:17 AM
paper port form filler StanB Scanners 2 April 20th 04 08:36 PM