WD "Black" 1TB or 2TB good as an OS disc?

Old July 11th 11, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Default WD "Black" 1TB or 2TB good as an OS disc?

How fast:

Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 16th 11, 06:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Henchman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Henchman wrote

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot of
video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing.No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black
2TB or equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

My understanding was Seagate bought Samsung's HD business about 3 months ago...

You can till buy Samsung branded hard drives right now.

Seagate's acquisition of Samsung's HDD operation is sad news, in my view.

Yeah, wouldnt have been allowed in my country.

We now have just two hard drive manufacturers, WD and Seagate.

Do you foresee a significant decline in quailty control, as a result of the takeover?

Hard to say. It isnt even clear exactly what has happened to their previous absorbtion
of Maxtor. You can no longer buy Maxtor branded drives, but it isnt clear if they still
sell what used to be Maxtor branded drives with just a Seagate brand on them.

For a hell of a long time before that you used to be able to buy a bizarre range
of Seagate branded drives of the same capacity and that appeared to be because
the operations they absorbed just kept carrying on regardless, churning out drives
even tho it would have made a lot more sense to kill of one or the other of the products.

Certainly Seagate was the first to make drives in china. Its less clear if they
will continue to make the Samsung drives in Korea and keep flogging them.
If they do, I dont see why they wouldnt continue to be of the same quality
as they were when Samsung still made them.

Old July 20th 11, 08:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Henchman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Henchman wrote

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on an older E6300 system. Used for alot
of video playback and desktop publishing and photo editing.No games.

I want to replace my Samsung 5 year old 250 gb with a WD Black
2TB or equavilent Seagate.

I'd replace it with a bigger Samsung myself.

Are these drives good as OS drives? Any concerns with them.

Yes, plenty of complaints about WD and Seagate drives.

My understanding was Seagate bought Samsung's HD business about 3 months ago...

You can till buy Samsung branded hard drives right now.

Seagate's acquisition of Samsung's HDD operation is sad news, in my view.

Yeah, wouldnt have been allowed in my country.

Why? Because Seagate is monopolizing the hard disk industry?

The law is about a significant reduction in competition, not just monopolys.

We now have just two hard drive manufacturers, WD and Seagate.

Whoa, I hadn't realized such a thing!

Yeah, the sale of Hitachi's hard drive operation to WD is relatively recent.

It's strange that, Japan and Korea are both out of the HDD business;
the market is virtually owned by a pair of U.S. companies, now.

Yeah, presumably the pricing has been so aggressive that they have
decided that its not worth staying in that market segment anymore.

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Of course, it's only fitting, seeing as how the HDD is largely an
American invention. IBM had pioneered many of the device's
innovations, over the decades.

But they did with memory too.

Do you foresee a significant decline in quailty control, as a
result of the takeover?

Hard to say. It isnt even clear exactly what has happened to their
previous absorbtion of Maxtor. You can no longer buy Maxtor branded
drives, but it isnt clear if they still sell what used to be Maxtor
branded drives with just a Seagate brand on them.

Before I'd settled upon Samsung (in 2004), my lone 3.5" puppies were
from Western Digital and Maxtor.

Yeah, I had WDs before I changed to Samsung. Never had any Maxtors,
basically because their warranty involved receipted delivery to Singapore
which was often a substantial part of the cost of the drive.

For a hell of a long time before that you used to be able to buy a bizarre
range of Seagate branded drives of the same capacity and that appeared
to be because the operations they absorbed just kept carrying on regardless,
churning out drives even tho it would have made a lot more sense to kill of
one or the other of the products.

"Conner Peripherals" was among Seagate's earlier victims, as I recall.

Yep.

In 1996, around the time of their merger, I'd bought a Conner
"TapeStor" internal "QIC" 420MB tape drive (floppy controller).

Certainly Seagate was the first to make drives in china. Its less clear if
they will continue to make the Samsung drives in Korea and keep flogging them.
If they do, I dont see why they wouldnt continue to be of the same quality
as they were when Samsung still made them.

One can simply hope so!

It does appear to be how Seagate operates. Hard to see why they do tho
with the substantial R&D duplication that must be involved with an operation
like hard drives that have to keep doing R&D at a hell of a rate. Maybe its
not a major part of their costs tho, hard to say.

Old July 20th 11, 10:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
JW

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:03:06 +1000 "Rod Speed"
wrote in Message id: :

John Turco wrote

[...]

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?
Old July 20th 11, 10:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?

Its hardly a major.

Old July 20th 11, 10:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
JW

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:37:08 +1000 "Rod Speed"
wrote in Message id: :

JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?

Its hardly a major.

http://www.micron.com/about/company/profile.html

FY2010 Net Sales: $8.5 billion
NASDAQ Symbol: MU
Employees: ~20,000 worldwide (excludes contractors, temps, and JV
employees)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/...et_Growth.html

Number 4 in DRAM market share, I'd consider them a major player.
Old July 20th 11, 07:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?

Its hardly a major.

http://www.micron.com/about/company/profile.html

FY2010 Net Sales: $8.5 billion
NASDAQ Symbol: MU
Employees: ~20,000 worldwide (excludes contractors, temps, and JV employees)

Fart in the bath market share wise.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/...et_Growth.html

Number 4 in DRAM market share, I'd consider them a major player.

More fool you. It only manages 11%

Old July 21st 11, 01:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
JW

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 04:24:43 +1000 "Rod Speed"
wrote in Message id: :

JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?

Its hardly a major.

http://www.micron.com/about/company/profile.html

FY2010 Net Sales: $8.5 billion
NASDAQ Symbol: MU
Employees: ~20,000 worldwide (excludes contractors, temps, and JV employees)

Fart in the bath market share wise.

Not at all, when the other three with a larger share are 19.4%, 21.6% and
31.7%

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/...et_Growth.html

Number 4 in DRAM market share, I'd consider them a major player.

More fool you. It only manages 11%

More fool you. It's 12.2% in the fourth quarter of 09 in the above link,
and they were 13% in the first quarter of 2011.

But you just can't admit you were wrong, as per ****ing usual.
Old July 21st 11, 07:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

Quite a reversal of the modern trend towards Asian dominance, eh?

Yeah, memory has in fact gone the other way, no US majors anymore.

Micron?

Its hardly a major.

http://www.micron.com/about/company/profile.html

FY2010 Net Sales: $8.5 billion
NASDAQ Symbol: MU
Employees: ~20,000 worldwide (excludes contractors, temps, and JV employees)

Fart in the bath market share wise.

Not at all,

Corse it is, 12% is **** all.

when the other three with a larger share are 19.4%, 21.6% and 31.7%

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/...et_Growth.html

Number 4 in DRAM market share, I'd consider them a major player.

More fool you. It only manages 11%

More fool you. It's 12.2% in the fourth quarter of 09 in the
above link, and they were 13% in the first quarter of 2011.

Still **** all.

But you just can't admit you were wrong, as per ****ing usual.

Corse you always do, eh ?

Old July 24th 11, 01:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

John Turco wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
JW wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Turco wrote

[...]

Yeah, but, Rod...an 12% market share ain't bad, for one, li'l ol' company, is it?

Doesnt qualify as one of the MAJORS.

"Major" or not, it's still better than being shut out of the DRAM arena, entirely.

Sure.