"Microsoft Announces Modern OS" by Paul Thurrott

Old June 11th 19, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default "Microsoft Announces Modern OS" by Paul Thurrott

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:41:13 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

| On 6/10/2019 10:52 AM, T. Ment wrote:
| On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 05:46:22 -0700 (PDT), Tom Lake wrote:
|
| How many operating systems has Microsoft announced now ?
|
| Don't worry. They'll get it right eventually.
|
| XP was the best it ever got. It's been all downhill since.
|
| Nope, Windows 7 x64 Pro is the best ever.
|
| Windows XP x64 Pro had serious device driver issues (been there, done that).

I've used them all starting with 3.0 and was not a huge fan of 7. My choices are XP
SP3 first and then 8.1 (very underrated, IMO). Millennium and Vista are tied for the
bottom spot. Running 10 on everything now and generally like it.

Larc
Old June 11th 19, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:34:43 -0400, Paul wrote:

| I have a single core laptop, and while it accepted
| a Windows 10 Upgrade, it isn't exactly a speed demon.

LOL. I bet not. But is it a "speed demon" with any Windows version? I have a
laptop now running 10 that came with Vista installed. It's OK since I replaced the
HDD with an SSD, but still slower than I would want for regular use.

Larc
Old June 11th 19, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 6/11/2019 12:46 AM, T. Ment wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:56:19 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Windows 7 x64 Pro is the best ever.

IDK about that, but in 6 more months, time expires. Then you're out of
luck.

Not true.

Is true.

Nothing expires

When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020,
Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating
system

Yup, just like Microsoft stopped releasing patches for Windows XP.
https://www.wired.com/story/microsof...very-bad-sign/

Lynn
Old June 11th 19, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:18:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020,
Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating
system

Yup, just like Microsoft stopped releasing patches for Windows XP.
https://www.wired.com/story/microsof...very-bad-sign/

One fix for public relations purposes, Bluekeep.

Your sales pitch fails.

Old June 11th 19, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 05:46:30 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:56:19 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Windows 7 x64 Pro is the best ever.

IDK about that, but in 6 more months, time expires. Then you're out of
luck.

Not true.

Is true.

Nothing expires

When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020,
Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating
system

and no luck runs out.

No fixes, no luck.

Windows 7 will continue humming right along.

Infected with Bluekeep or who knows what else.

Remind me to warn my XP. On second thoughts ... I'll keep it a
secret. Don't want to terrorize the poor thing.
I admit I was a little worried FIVE YEARS AGO when M$ promised
malware would IMMEDIATELY destroy it. Not too sure now if that wasn't
a "M$ blatant lie" [TM pending].
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old June 11th 19, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:59:11 -0300, Shadow wrote:

Remind me to warn my XP. On second thoughts ... I'll keep it a
secret. Don't want to terrorize the poor thing.
I admit I was a little worried FIVE YEARS AGO when M$ promised
malware would IMMEDIATELY destroy it. Not too sure now if that wasn't
a "M$ blatant lie" [TM pending].

That's like refusing home insurance because your house hasn't burned
down yet.

Old June 11th 19, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 6/11/2019 12:46 AM, T. Ment wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:56:19 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Windows 7 x64 Pro is the best ever.

IDK about that, but in 6 more months, time expires. Then you're out of
luck.

Not true.

Is true.

Nothing expires

When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020,
Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating
system

Yup, just like Microsoft stopped releasing patches for Windows XP.
https://www.wired.com/story/microsof...very-bad-sign/

Lynn

You're not reading the tea-leaves properly.

Finding that patch is difficult.

It's not really integrated into Windows Update properly.

It should not be in WSUSSCN2.cab if you were to download
that file this very day. Opening WinXP Windows Update
and "Checking For Updates", won't show it. They're not
messing up WSUSSCN2.cab structure, just for this patch.

I had to check borncity, for a list of KBs, to find the
KB needed for WinXP. With KB in hand, you use
catalog.update.microsoft.com to get it.

So the message is:

"we care dearly about you, dear dear customers.

but for reasons just beyond our mental capacities,
many of the patches will not appear like magic for you,
requiring you to bob for apples to find them"

The Windows 7 patch is "conveniently" buried in a 100MB+
cumulative "Security Only" patch file, when, if they
really wanted high uptake of the package, they could
have just done it out-of-band and issued a 544KB patch
like the WinXP version happens to be.

As far as I know, it's likely that only one file needs
a new version. That's why the WinXP one is so small.
In the 544KB, most of that is installer code, and not
much of it is "payload" as such.

If Microsoft was "really really" worried, they would
have done more or done it a better way, if they were
actually concerned. Yes, it's great they patched WinXP,
but the "fit and finish" sends the wrong message as
far as I'm concerned. Just like the last time they
delivered "goods" this way. If you're not wide awake,
you could very easily lose the breadcrumbs needed to
find sufficient "goods" to "patch up to date".

It would not take much to "do a better job".

Simply take the defunct MBSA 2.3 package and
place all the out-of-band materials in their
own section so that customers will be aware
of their existence. Thus putting everything
needed in one place (as nearly as the customers
can determine). If they need to craft a file
in parallel with WSUSSCN2.cab, then they don't
need to damage the cab, and the parallel file
would only be there to update the MBSA 2.3 displayed
"you need these patches" list.

Even the G.D. CVE doesn't make you aware of the
WinXP patch!!! Such "really really cares" incompetence.
But as long as Borncity or similar happen to post a copy of
the necessary KBs, there's at least some third
party ways to find the info.

Like, as a test case, now go and find me the
KB for the WinXP SMBv1 patch. I think that one is
out-of-band, and Windows Update should not show it.
But, it's been a while, so I forget. Will there
still be breadcrumbs ? Will the blogs be erased ?

Paul
Old June 12th 19, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 21:12:25 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:59:11 -0300, Shadow wrote:

Remind me to warn my XP. On second thoughts ... I'll keep it a
secret. Don't want to terrorize the poor thing.
I admit I was a little worried FIVE YEARS AGO when M$ promised
malware would IMMEDIATELY destroy it. Not too sure now if that wasn't
a "M$ blatant lie" [TM pending].

That's like refusing home insurance because your house hasn't burned
down yet.

I have a spare house ( a full backup of all my data). And I
don't keep anything sensitive on ANY online computer.
[]'s