Ghost 2003 at USB 2.0 speed

Old December 31st 03, 04:05 PM
Sean

Default Ghost 2003 at USB 2.0 speed

Hi,

Need help to configure either Ghost 2003 or the IDE hard
disk enclosure.

Hardwa
Shuttle PC XPC-SB51G (with USB2.0 enabled in BIOS)
DTK IDE Enclosure (http://www.dtk.com.tw/product/enclosure/den351.html)
USB 2.0 cable (as provided by the Enclosure, it's labelled USB 2.0)

Softwa
Ghost 2003 (updated to build 789)

When I use Ghost 2003 to clone my hard disk, it is running
at 85MB/min (almost the USB 1.1 throughput speed of 12Mbps
or simply 90MB/min). In Ghost 2003, I've also selected to
load USB 2.0 drivers before the cloning process begins.

How can I configure either Ghost 2003 or the Enclosure to clone
the hard disk at the maximum speed of USB 2.0? That is, to clone
at the speed of 480Mbps (= 3600MB/min)?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Sean
Old December 31st 03, 05:00 PM
Will Dormann

Sean wrote:

Hi,

How can I configure either Ghost 2003 or the Enclosure to clone
the hard disk at the maximum speed of USB 2.0? That is, to clone
at the speed of 480Mbps (= 3600MB/min)?

You will never, ever see that speed.

Around 1000MB/min is a more reasonable expectation for a Ghost clone
over USB2. What kind of performance are you seeing when your OS is
running? (Either run a benchmark, or copy a large file and time it)

-WD
Old January 1st 04, 12:35 AM
Sean

How can I configure either Ghost 2003 or the Enclosure to clone
the hard disk at the maximum speed of USB 2.0? That is, to clone
at the speed of 480Mbps (= 3600MB/min)?

You will never, ever see that speed.

May I know why is that so?

Around 1000MB/min is a more reasonable expectation for a Ghost clone
over USB2. What kind of performance are you seeing when your OS is
running? (Either run a benchmark, or copy a large file and time it)

I can copy an approximately 700MB file over within 35 secs, that works
out to be 1200MB/min. That's reasonable enough compared to the 85MB/min
speed for Ghost 2003. Any idea/suggestion how I can up the performance
in Ghost 2003? (At 85MB/min, I can never able to clone my 40G HDD within
a reasonable period of time). Please help, thanks.

Regards,
Old January 1st 04, 12:58 AM
Rod Speed

Sean wrote in message
g...

How can I configure either Ghost 2003 or the Enclosure to clone
the hard disk at the maximum speed of USB 2.0? That is, to clone
at the speed of 480Mbps (= 3600MB/min)?

You will never, ever see that speed.

May I know why is that so?

Basically because you dont get any like 3.6GB/min even with
the best arrangement, two IDE drives on different ribbon cables.

There's much more protocol overhead with USB2.

Old January 1st 04, 03:57 PM
Aloke Prasad

What sustained transfer rates can one expect off the platters?

Actual rates would be lower because of file fragmentation etc..
--
Aloke
----

"Sean" wrote in message
g...
Ok, understood the part on overhead.

But then, any idea why Ghost 2003 is running at a (somewhat)
USB 1.1 speed instead of (somewhat) a USB 2.0 speed? Thanks.

Sean.

In article ,
says...

g...

Old January 1st 04, 04:27 PM
Rod Speed

Sean wrote in message
g...

Ok, understood the part on overhead.

But then, any idea why Ghost 2003 is running at a (somewhat)
USB 1.1 speed instead of (somewhat) a USB 2.0 speed?

Presumably the driver used for USB ops is having
a brain fart and is only use 1.1 for some reason.

Clearly the hardware and Win level ops are
fine with that thruput you got with file copy test.

Get the latest version of the dos driver for usb from Symantec.

In article ,
says...

g...

Old January 3rd 04, 06:48 AM
Sean

May I know what am I suppose to do with the DOS driver?
How do I start up the cloning process after the DOS driver
has been loaded? Thanks.

In article ,
says...

Old January 3rd 04, 07:43 AM
Rod Speed

Sean wrote in message
g...

May I know what am I suppose to do with the DOS driver?

Depends on how you are running ghost.

How do I start up the cloning process
after the DOS driver has been loaded?

Same answer.

In article ,
says...

Old January 3rd 04, 01:35 PM
Aloke Prasad

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Sean wrote in message
g...

May I know what am I suppose to do with the DOS driver?

Depends on how you are running ghost.

How do I start up the cloning process
after the DOS driver has been loaded?

Same answer.

I thought Ghost will ALWAYS run in a DOS boot. The DOS boot can be either
through a boot diskette or by invoking the Ghost GUI which restarts the PC
to actually run Ghost in DOS mode.

There was a Liveupdate many months ago that updated the USB drivers in
Ghost. Worth a try.
--
Aloke
----