spdif help!

Old July 7th 04, 07:31 PM
Paul

Default spdif help!

In article , "Andrea"
wrote:

Hi!
I have a problem with my mb sk8v
I have connected the spdif out (optical cable) on the MB to my dvd decoder
5.1 and rear speakers dont work!
When I test audio with the software soundmax i hear just front speakers:
when the moving sound should be listened by rear speakers just silence!
This is for all music sources ( the (dvd mpe wav..)
I 've tried to install VIA drivers for the southbridge of the MB: they work
fine bu it's the same thing: just 2 front speakers work.
Note that on the mixer ac3 spidf and pcm spdif are checked
Do you know how enable 5.1???

thanks in advance!

SPDIF is stereo. If you have a _source_ which is AC3 encoded, then
it will drive all your speakers. Signals coming straight from a
DVDROM for example, might work. But, you would need some special
software, to take a source and AC3 encode it. AFAIK, AC3 is owned
by Dolby Labs and there is a licensing fee for any software or
hardware that encodes AC3. Also, if you did find some software
to convert to AC3, the delay might be too great to keep the sound
synchronized to other multimedia content.

The posts found in Google suggest the price for AC3 encoding is
steep, due to the licensing fee. And, it probably isn't
read time encoding either.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ac3+encoder%22
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.chatlink.com

The Nforce2 chipset on the A7N8X-E Deluxe, has the ability to
make AC3 on the fly, but that is the only chipset (Nforce2, MCP-T)
I know of with support in hardware for the function.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 11th 04, 06:24 PM
Phil

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Andrea"
wrote:

[...]

I saw a P4 board with Realtime Dolby Digital Encoding the other day, I can't
remember exactly which model, but I'm pretty sure it was an ASUS. Hopefully
this feature will become more mainstream, and eventually a consumer PCI card
will have this feature on.