A7N8X Deluxe problem - graphics card not working properly?

Old November 11th 03, 11:10 PM
Peter Weir

Default A7N8X Deluxe problem - graphics card not working properly?

Hi all,

I've just built my new PC using an A7N8X Deluxe board (specs below),
carrying over my ATI 8500DV card from my old machine. Having previously used
Gigabyte boards, I'm very hopeful that a move to Asus will get me a stable
machine for a change! :-)

The first thing that was more than a bit strange was that, for some reason,
the graphics card, sound card and another card were not recognised by
Windows (although, obviously, it could recognise the ATI card enough to send
a signal to the monitor!); however, manually installing the drivers seems to
have solved that (mostly).

The problem, though, is that the graphics performance seems really quite
creaky - my ATI card certainly had a good deal more punch in my old system.
I haven't yet run any 3DMark benchmark yet, but I don't have any numbers to
compare with.

I've yet to try any 3D apps with the new system, but 2D performance seems to
be particularly below what I had befo even scrolling web pages can be a
bit of a pain.

I've got the latest ATI drivers and the latest nForce2 chipset drivers
installed.

I can see a few settings in the BIOS (1006) that could be useful; AGP 8X and
fast-writes are enabled, graphics aperture size is set to 64MB (the amount
of memory on the 8500DV), but I've not tried changing anything else (AGP
Frequency, Video RAM Cacheable?).

Anyone any ideas?

New system:

A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0
Athlon 3000+
ATI AIW 8500DV
2x512MB PC2700 (not dual channel)
Creative Audigy player card

(Old system:

Gigabyte 7VRXP
Athlon 2000+
Graphics, memory, audio as above.)

Very many thanks in advance,

Peter

Old November 12th 03, 08:25 AM
Kyle Brant

Did you install a new OS to a blank HD or did you try to use your old
OS install?

--
Best regards,
Kyle
.. .

Old November 12th 03, 09:32 AM
markjen

I assume you set the BIOS to AGP Graphics rather than PCI Graphics?

- Mark

Old November 12th 03, 05:09 PM
Barry Walsh

Peter Weir wrote:
[...]

Your card doesn't support 8x AGP so don't worry about that. Your AGP
aperture isn't meant to match your cards memory. It should be set to
whatever closest to twice the cards ram plus 12 megs, so set it to 128.
You may want to check your AGP acceleration status by start - run -
dxdiag.exe and you'll see it in the display tab. THe ATi smartgart tool
is know to have issues setting the AGP acceleration properly.

Old November 12th 03, 06:08 PM
Ben Pope

Barry Walsh wrote:
Your AGP
aperture isn't meant to match your cards memory. It should be set to
whatever closest to twice the cards ram plus 12 megs,

Where did you get that from?

Ben

Old November 12th 03, 06:31 PM
Barry Walsh

Ben Pope wrote:

Barry Walsh wrote:

Your AGP
aperture isn't meant to match your cards memory. It should be set to
whatever closest to twice the cards ram plus 12 megs,

Where did you get that from?

Ben

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed...rture_Size.htm

That's the only place I could immediately find, but I've seen it elsewhere.

Old November 12th 03, 07:59 PM
Ben Pope

Barry Walsh wrote:
Ben Pope wrote:

Barry Walsh wrote:

Your AGP
aperture isn't meant to match your cards memory. It should be set to
whatever closest to twice the cards ram plus 12 megs,

Where did you get that from?

Ben

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed...rture_Size.htm

That's the only place I could immediately find, but I've seen it
elsewhere.

It does seem to have a fairly inconsistant argument for it.

It gives you that formula which clearly grows with card memory. Then says
"So, graphics cards with 32MB of RAM or more will require a smaller AGP
aperture than graphics cards with less RAM." which is in direct conflict.
Then says "So, it's recommended that you set the AGP Aperture Size to 64MB
or at most, 128MB"

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/3.shtml

Shows no explicable difference in performance for differing AGP aperture
sizes.

I have not seen anybody who can, with any level of technical competence,
explain what size the aperture should be set to.

Ben

Old November 12th 03, 08:20 PM
Barry Walsh

Ben Pope wrote:

Barry Walsh wrote:

Ben Pope wrote:

Barry Walsh wrote:

[...]

I suspect that article is slightly old anyway and presumes everyone has
either 32 or 64 meg cards, hence their end suggestion. I never said it
would increase performance, although the context might have suggested
that I meant it would. I did see a more complete explanation of the
twice ram + 12 rule before, but I've no idea where that was now. AGP
always was a fairly nebulous technology, roll on PCI express I say.

Old November 12th 03, 08:35 PM
markjen

I think the BIOS defaults to 64K on this board - other guides I've seen have
said to leave it where it is which always sounds like a good idea if you
don't have a good reason to change.

In any event, I don't think aperature is the reason for the original
poster's poor performance.

I recall when building my system that just after installing the OS, the
graphics card (Radeon 9600) was working slowly - there were noticeable
hesitations simply dragging a window around on the screen - but after
installing latest drivers from ATI's site and setting the BIOS to AGP rather
than PCI, everything works fine. I didn't change anything else in the BIOS
or in Windows XP.

- Mark

Old November 13th 03, 12:54 AM
Peter Weir

"Kyle Brant" wrote in message
Did you install a new OS to a blank HD or did you try to use your old
OS install?

New OS to a blank partition (freshly reformatted (NTFS) ).

Peter