A7N8X Deluxe and WinXP Pro boot problem

Old July 28th 03, 02:48 AM
Scott

Default A7N8X Deluxe and WinXP Pro boot problem

I'm replying to you on this because I'm having problems with my A7N8X
Del.Mobo and WinXP Pro. I bought the board about two monthes ago and havent
been able to boot it up yet. It gets to the windows sceen for a split second
(if that) and then reboots. Everything works fine on my A7V333 board though.
Using the exact same components in both boards (swapping out boards) but
can't get anything to work with the A7N8X board. It seems the OS and the
Bios aren't compatable. I'm using Bios 1005. Any help would be appreciated.

A7N8X Del. ver 2.0
AMD 2100+
2*512 PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro

Old July 28th 03, 03:41 AM
Paul

In article , "Scott"
wrote:

I'm replying to you on this because I'm having problems with my A7N8X
Del.Mobo and WinXP Pro. I bought the board about two monthes ago and havent
been able to boot it up yet. It gets to the windows sceen for a split second
(if that) and then reboots. Everything works fine on my A7V333 board though.
Using the exact same components in both boards (swapping out boards) but
can't get anything to work with the A7N8X board. It seems the OS and the
Bios aren't compatable. I'm using Bios 1005. Any help would be appreciated.

A7N8X Del. ver 2.0
AMD 2100+
2*512 PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro

Is the memory set to "100%" or "Sync" ? The memory should be run
synchronous to the FSB of the processor, in order for it to have a
chance of being error free. Set up the BIOS properly first, then
test the memory with memtest86 from www.memtest86.com . If you can
get the memory to run error free, then try installing an OS and
booting up.

You may have to back off the timings on the memory manually. Some
people have reported that when running in dual channel mode, more
conservative memory settings are required. This is different than
the behavior seen in the Anandtech Nforce2 review when the boards
first came out, as very aggressive timings worked in the review
of six Nforce2 boards.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 28th 03, 06:42 AM
Aaron Johnson

Just got my Gals new system built and running.. A7n8x 2.0 win xp pro 420w
and it took 3x to get xp on there really good (must have been breaking in
the new system) but now running very sweet.. with 9600 ati.

Now when my Mobo 1st booted it booted as 1100 mhz (have a amd 2500xp barton)
but had no prob (using simpletech 512k 2700 ram in slot 3) might get more
ram not sure yet. Also found out my Vid card was not 100% thats why win xp
was a pain to put on..got a exchange for same vid card and win xp flew on
the hard drive.
"Elmo" wrote in message
t...
It sounds like you may have a power supply problem. I'm using the 1005

bios
and XP Pro with no problems.

Old July 28th 03, 02:58 PM
JonnyCab®

"Swapping out boards" !!!!
XP and win2000 do not like this at all.

Exactly. I agree here, too. Follow the following instructions, and it
should work. But Clive is right---you're better off with a clean install.

Have you tried a clean install of XP with the board ?
If you don't have a spare disk drive around to try a clean install, you

can
always give the following procedure a try.
On the A7V333 go into the hardware/device manager,
-Expand the ATA/ATAPI/IDE section
-Double click on "Via busmaster IDE controller"
-Choose "Update driver" on the driver tab
-Choose "Show list of known drivers"
-Choose "Standard PCI double channel bus master controller"
-Hit OK a few times - BUT DO NOT REBOOT !!!
-Now expand the USB branch and delete any entries with "Via" in them
-Now expand the system devices branch and delete any entries with "Via" in
them

You can now shutdown your PC and put in the A7N8X.
On reboot it should detect a heap of new devices, let it run thorugh them.
Once it has rebooted, run the driver setup CD to install sound, USB2 and

LAN
drivers.

Good luck

Clive

Old July 28th 03, 11:13 PM
Scott

I think you might have something here. I beleive I did try a clean install
but the bios was showing the wrong CPU and I had a few other problems ei,
not reading floppy, and video probs. I think thats why I went back to the
A7V and did the install. (Wasn't sure if the video card was the problem at
the time). I did so many installs I had to call Microsoft for a new
installation code. !!! I'm seriously thinking about picking up a new drive
and doing a clean install again though. I'll let you know how I make out.
THANKS a bunch..
Scott