"Seagate Ships World’s First 8TB Hard Drives"

Old September 15th 14, 04:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe Pfeiffer

Default "Seagate Ships World’s First 8TB HardDrives"

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Yes, seven platters. Reminds me of the old 12 inch winchester with
the removable 10? platters.

How did they manage a removable platter in a Winchester drive? It would
seem like removing the whole sealed unit would leave nothing but a
circuit board behind...

You're showing your lack of age.

I may be showing my ignorance, but I'm not showing my lack of age. I
was in high school when IBM introduced the Winchester drive.

The whole platter assembly was removable. It came out with a plastic
bell that you could store separately hence you could replace "drives"
(well, the platter packs since the "drive" was the washing machine that
stayed in one place).

HDD platter packs:
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/histor...hsDiskPack.jpg
http://i.stack.imgur.com/1hFxX.png

That one you inserted the pack into a "drive" (about the size of a small
washing machine), twisted on the handle, removed the plastic shell, and
closed the drive. As to its size, see the comparison he

Not a Winchester. I was very familiar with several families of
removeable disk packs -- none of them Winchester.

http://tr2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2006...8646b/3373.jpg

Rack-mounted sliding HDD:
http://www.edwardbosworth.com/CPSC21...s/image006.gif

That one only had 1 or 2 platters, the rack-mounted drive slid on rails,
and you plopped the platter set into the drive (the top was the seal),
and slid the drive back into the rack.

Still not Winchester.

Because of the size, thickness, and weight of the platters, especially
for multi-platter packs, they were only supposed to be spun up when
stationary. A U.S. sub once forgot to spin them down before leaving
port, the drive assemblies broke lose from the floor bolts, and the
thing went bashing around the room.

The air contamination problem was eliminated by having both the platters
and head assembly sealed inside a plastic shell that you twisted into
the drive which made electrical contacts to control the heads. Where
you screwed the pack into was the motor to spin the platters. See
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Module.agr.jpg.
Think about trying to tote one of these with your laptop.

History of magnetic drives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ic_disk_drives

OK, now we've gotten to Winchester drives -- and yes, the answer turns
out to be the motor and drive electronics were all that was left when
you pulled the pack.
Old September 15th 14, 07:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Yes, seven platters. Reminds me of the old 12 inch winchester with
the removable 10? platters.

How did they manage a removable platter in a Winchester drive? It would
seem like removing the whole sealed unit would leave nothing but a
circuit board behind...

You're showing your lack of age.

I may be showing my ignorance, but I'm not showing my lack of age. I
was in high school when IBM introduced the Winchester drive.

That was a pun figuring you asked because you're too young to have been
in the computer industry at the time to be familiar with that old
hardware.

Now after giving you links and pics about the HDAs, suddenly now you
know about them. (rolls eyes)

[...]

Winchester became a nym for all those type of drives whether or not the
heads were included or not in the earlier models. Just like using
Kleenex for facial tissue, the term didn't get used across many types of
products until the defining product was introduced and widely used.
Old September 15th 14, 11:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

[...]

Wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...rives#IBM_3340

Old September 15th 14, 06:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe Pfeiffer

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Yes, seven platters. Reminds me of the old 12 inch winchester with
the removable 10? platters.

How did they manage a removable platter in a Winchester drive? It would
seem like removing the whole sealed unit would leave nothing but a
circuit board behind...

You're showing your lack of age.

I may be showing my ignorance, but I'm not showing my lack of age. I
was in high school when IBM introduced the Winchester drive.

That was a pun figuring you asked because you're too young to have been
in the computer industry at the time to be familiar with that old
hardware.

Now after giving you links and pics about the HDAs, suddenly now you
know about them. (rolls eyes)

Please reread my original question above -- I was asking specifically
about removeable platters in Winchester drives. I never said I was
unfamiliar with removeable platters.

snip

History of magnetic drives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ic_disk_drives

OK, now we've gotten to Winchester drives -- and yes, the answer turns
out to be the motor and drive electronics were all that was left when
you pulled the pack.

Winchester became a nym for all those type of drives whether or not the
heads were included or not in the earlier models. Just like using
Kleenex for facial tissue, the term didn't get used across many types of
products until the defining product was introduced and widely used.

I have never encountered "Winchester" applied to anything but drives
with the heads sealed in with the platters. It would have been very
weird for that to have happened, since that was the whole *point* of the
Winchester drive.
Old September 15th 14, 06:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

[...]

I didn't have to read the part that mentioned "The name stuck in the
USSR, Hungary and possibly other countries as an umbrella term for all
hard drives; it is still in wide use today." Happened, too, in the USA.
Guess you didn't have many contacts back then outside your employer.
Old September 15th 14, 06:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Please reread my original question above -- I was asking specifically
about removeable platters in Winchester drives. I never said I was
unfamiliar with removeable platters.

Yep, you're right. There were Winchester drives where the heads were in
the platter package. The whole thing could be removed. About the only
time I saw that happen (obviously my experience doesn't encompass every
conceivable situation) was when a defective platter/head package got
removed to get replaced with a new one.

So, yes, just the electronics (and motor) would be left behind after
removing the platter/head package. It provided modularity so the whole
washing machine didn't have to get replaced.

Old September 16th 14, 03:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

VanguardLH writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

[...]

Wow, what a great conversationalist you ... aren't.
Just feeling a bit trollish today?