Boot.ini question

Old January 28th 06, 04:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Boot.ini question

As far as non sequiturs go, yes. And the BIOS's
hard drive drive boot order defines the meaning
of "rdisk(N)" - regardless of what you and the other
hand puppet says.

*TimDaniels*

"Eric Gisin" wrote:
rdisk(N) refers to Int13 drive 80h+N, simple as that.
How Int13 drives are ordered is completely up to the BIOS.
"fdisk /status" from DOS tells you, Disk Manager does NOT.

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

I stand by my claim, Rod. You can check if you want,
and you can make all the denials you want, but it is true,
and anyone can check that out - the "rdisk()" parameter
is relative to the top of the hard drive boot order, and it
only relates to physical position, i.e. cable position or
IDE channel number, in the default case. In the DEFAULT
case, the hard drive boot order is:

Master, IDE channel 0,
Slave, IDE channel 0,
Master, IDE channel 1,
Slave, IDE channel 1.

But when this order is changed in the BIOS, the
meaning of "rdisk()" changes physically, but it retains
its logical meaning as a reference to the boot order.
That means that "rdisk(0)" will ALWAYS refer to the
head of the boot order, regardless of which physical
hard drive is put at the head of the boot order, and
"rdisk(1)" will ALWAYS refer to the next one in the list.

Accordingly, I code boot.ini files to implement
switching between up to 7 or 8 clone OSes which are
resident simultaneously on 3 hard drives in my computer,
and the "rdisk()" parameter has always meant what I've
described above. I base this on the behavior of my
Dell Dimension XPS system which is about as common
as a PC can get.

*TimDaniels*

Old January 28th 06, 04:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote:
The obvious problem with your claim is trivial to prove.
Setup a test config where the boot.ini comes off the
first drive in the boot list in the bios, with an entry to
boot off a different physical drive. When you move
that later physical drive in the boot order in the bios,
that doesnt make any difference to which drive gets
booted when you select that entry in the boot.ini at
boot time. The N value changes according to you
because you have moved it in the bios boot sequence
list. XP still boots the same physical drive regardless.

Say whaaa? Gibberish will get you nowhere, Rod.

*TimDaniels*
Old January 28th 06, 04:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Timothy Daniels wrote

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

Old January 28th 06, 04:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Timothy Daniels wrote

As far as non sequiturs go, yes.

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

And the BIOS's hard drive drive boot order defines the meaning of
"rdisk(N)"

You can keep respewing that mindless pig ignorant drivel till the
cows come home if you like, changes absolutely nothing at all.

Old January 30th 06, 03:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

En , Rod Speed va escriu
Timothy Daniels wrote
Antoine Leca wrote

rdisk(N) is the "real" disk number (as assigned by the BIOS - 0x80;
and up to 3 according to MS doc).

You can also think of "rdisk()" as meaning the
"relative disk position", that is, relative to the head of the BIOS's
hard drive boot order.

Yes, that's a interpretation (of course, the original meaning in 1992 was
neither real not relative).

Since the boot order

Bewa that's not the "boot order" (another thing entirely), but the order
among the harddisks (int13h non removable devices).
I guess Rod and you are in a misunderstanding here.

can be adjusted manually by the user via
keyboard input to the BIOS, the hard drive referred to by "rdisk(0)"
can be changed at will.

No it cant.
No it doesnt.
It JUST refers to the physical order.

Rod, some BIOSes allow to freely change the numbers among IDE devices, while
others (most) do not.

Antoine

Old January 30th 06, 09:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Antoine Leca" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote
You can also think of "rdisk()" as meaning the
"relative disk position", that is, relative to the head
of the BIOS's hard drive boot order.

Yes, that's a interpretation (of course, the original
meaning in 1992 was neither real not relative).

Since the boot order

Bewa that's not the "boot order" (another thing entirely),
but the order among the harddisks (int13h non removable
devices).

Yes. I usually refer specifically to "hard drive boot order",
but twice in short sequence seemed a bit much, so I
shortened it to "boot order" in the next sentence, thinking
that the implied sub-phrase "hard drive" was understood.
You point out an important point, because the "x" in
"rdisk(x)" refers to position in the "hard drive boot order",
not simply to the "boot order" - which includes other
bootable devices besides hard drives.

*TimDaniels*
Old January 30th 06, 09:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Antoine Leca wrote
Rod Speed wrote
[...]

But NOT when you JUST change the boot order sequence.

Thats what he claims and he's just plain wrong on that.

Old January 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Antoine Leca wrote
Rod, some BIOSes allow to freely change the numbers
among IDE devices, while others (most) do not.

But NOT when you JUST change the boot order sequence.

Thats what he claims and he's just plain wrong on that.

The meaning of "rdisk(0)" is "the hard drive having an
MBR and nearest the head of the BIOS's hard drive boot
order". So when one changes the hard drive (having an
MBR) that is at the head of the hard drive boot order, one
changes the hard drive designated by "rdisk(0)". This
may easily be checked by anyone familiar with boot.ini
and the boot process.

*TimDaniels*

Old January 30th 06, 09:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Timothy Daniels wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Antoine Leca wrote

Rod, some BIOSes allow to freely change the numbers
among IDE devices, while others (most) do not.

But NOT when you JUST change the boot order sequence.

Thats what he claims and he's just plain wrong on that.

The meaning of "rdisk(0)" is "the hard drive having an MBR and nearest
the head of the BIOS's hard drive boot order".

Wrong, it has absolutely NOTHING to do
with the bios's hard drive boot order at all.

And I told you how to prove that it has absolutely NOTHING
to do with the bios's hard drive boot order at all.

So when one changes the hard drive (having an MBR) that is at the head of
the hard drive boot order, one
changes the hard drive designated by "rdisk(0)".

You can keep respouting that drivel till the cows
come home, it changes absolutely nothing at all.

Old January 31st 06, 04:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote
The meaning of "rdisk(0)" is "the hard drive having an
MBR and nearest the head of the BIOS's hard drive
boot order".
So when one changes the hard drive (having an MBR)
that is at the head of the hard drive boot order, one
changes the hard drive designated by "rdisk(0)".
This may easily be checked by anyone familiar with
boot.ini and the boot process.

I told you how to prove that it has absolutely NOTHING
to do with the bios's hard drive boot order at all.

It does in *my* PC, and my PC is a pretty near
generic Dell Dimension.

*TimDaniels*