PC building - problem num. 1: cannot install processor (help)!

Old August 12th 03, 10:12 PM

Default PC building - problem num. 1: cannot install processor (help)!

make sure that the processor is around the right way. One corner should
have a few pins missing which matches up on one corner of the socket.

If that is ok is the CPU sitting ok in the socket before you pull the lever
down?

It might be that 1 or two of the pins are not locating properly in the
socket. I have found some processors with 1 or two pins slightly bent which
stops them seating properly.

Check the lever moves up and down without the CPU in the socket.

If this is all ok try it again. They do need a little bit of force- but not
much.

"Juha Kettunen" wrote in message
ok (lets assemble my computer together, dont we? )

I started assembling my 1. computer. But I cannot get processor intalled!
Here is the problem (I sent it also to ASUS, but it might take ages to get
the answer, so please help immediately). Does anybody had this same
problem?:

I just bought this motherboard and trying to install the following

processor
into it: AMD XP2500+ 333 FSB Barton-OEM 512k Cache. The problem is, that I
cannot cannot close the socket lever as described in the User's Manual

page
12 (2.4.2).

Steps 1 and 2 goes OK: the lever is 90 degrees opened and the processor
drops easily into place (very easily: I do not even need to push it). But
... in step 3 I cannot close the lever: I can only push it about 30

degrees
until it get stuck. I do not want to use force (manuals says that don't

use
force!) becouse I am afraid to break it. But do I need to use some force

(it
seems to be quite stuck)?

Thanks
Juha Kettunen

---

Old August 12th 03, 11:05 PM
LiveWire

Steps 1 and 2 goes OK: the lever is 90 degrees opened and the processor
drops easily into place (very easily: I do not even need to push it). But
... in step 3 I cannot close the lever: I can only push it about 30

degrees
until it get stuck. I do not want to use force (manuals says that don't

use
force!) becouse I am afraid to break it. But do I need to use some force

(it
seems to be quite stuck)?

I found that sometimes pushing the lever (with minimal or no pressure) just
a bit outward, or away from the socket, and then down does the trick.

--
LiveWire

Old August 12th 03, 11:18 PM
santa

:
[...]
Juha, the socket is a zif socket I understand and requires very little force
to close the lever. If you look at the pin side of the processor carefully
you will se one corner with a couple of pins missing. That has to be
aligned to a similar missing pin area on the socket. Also remember the
cooler only goes on one way. Check the manual very carefully if you force
the cooler you'll crack the chip and its toast.

LOL

claus

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
Install SB16 or Live Value in FIC VA-503+ with Windows Woody General 2 July 10th 03 08:28 AM
Advice on lockup problem grendel General 1 July 7th 03 05:39 AM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM