Good Price on Hardware Modem?

Old August 8th 03, 04:32 PM
Mark Wilson

Default Good Price on Hardware Modem?

I need a new modem.

I'm pretty sure that the best way for me to go is an internal (PCI) full
hardware v92 modem. However, the only one I know of is USRs V92 Performance
Pro, which is $79.95 USD.

First, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a cheaper modem that's just
as good as the US Robo one, and better yet, can you tell me where to go to
get it? Online?

I know that software modems used to be something to stay far away from, but
now that CPUs (and buses) are so much faster, is this really a significant
consideration anymore? I can get easily a software modem for less than half
the price of a hardware.

Is there any SPEED difference between external and interal modems?

Thanks for your advice.

Old August 8th 03, 07:18 PM
John Navas

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In on Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:32:20
-0400, "Mark Wilson" wrote:

I need a new modem.

I'm pretty sure that the best way for me to go is an internal (PCI) full
hardware v92 modem. However, the only one I know of is USRs V92 Performance
Pro, which is $79.95 USD.

First, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a cheaper modem that's just
as good as the US Robo one, and better yet, can you tell me where to go to
get it? Online?

I recently got a used but like new Multi-Tech-Tech MT5634ZPX on eBay for less
than $10, including shipping.

Is there any SPEED difference between external and interal modems?

No.

--
Best regards,
John Navas http://navasgrp.home.att.net/
Old August 9th 03, 12:15 AM
Ralph Mowery

An internal modem can have better throughput when transferring highly
compressible data. I often see 20KBps when downloading newsgroup
headers, for example. Compare this with an external serial modem which
would be limited by the COM port to only 11KBps. The majority of
internal modems are also immune to buffer overrun errors which may
have a slight impact on performance.

What you see is not what you are really getting.

Old August 9th 03, 09:39 AM
John Navas

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In on Sat, 09 Aug 2003 07:14:13
+1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:32:20 -0400, "Mark Wilson" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Is there any SPEED difference between external and interal modems?

An internal modem can have better throughput when transferring highly
compressible data. I often see 20KBps when downloading newsgroup
headers, for example. Compare this with an external serial modem which
would be limited by the COM port to only 11KBps.

Nope. Windows and most ISPs use software compression, with which the COM port
isn't a limitation.

The majority of
internal modems are also immune to buffer overrun errors which may
have a slight impact on performance.

Nope.

Old August 9th 03, 02:12 PM
Mike Walsh

Look for ActionTec

Mark Wilson wrote:

I need a new modem.

I'm pretty sure that the best way for me to go is an internal (PCI) full
hardware v92 modem. However, the only one I know of is USRs V92 Performance
Pro, which is $79.95 USD.

First, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a cheaper modem that's just
as good as the US Robo one, and better yet, can you tell me where to go to
get it? Online?

I know that software modems used to be something to stay far away from, but
now that CPUs (and buses) are so much faster, is this really a significant
consideration anymore? I can get easily a software modem for less than half
the price of a hardware.

Is there any SPEED difference between external and interal modems?

Thanks for your advice.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 9th 03, 11:54 PM
Some One

You can't count data compression when talking about speeds.

Put a six pack in the trunk of your car and drive as fast as you can
for 10 miles. Now put another six pack in the trunk and drive as fast
as you can for 10 miles. You can't say the second trip was twice as
fast because it moved twice as much brew.

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:15:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

An internal modem can have better throughput when transferring

highly
compressible data. I often see 20KBps when downloading newsgroup
headers, for example. Compare this with an external serial modem

which
would be limited by the COM port to only 11KBps. The majority of
internal modems are also immune to buffer overrun errors which

may
have a slight impact on performance.

What you see is not what you are really getting.

System Monitor tells me that I'm seeing and getting exactly that. I
have also measured the throughput with a watch, as have others. Some
Lucent controllerless modems will do even better than mine.

Here are some real test results using an artificially created highly
compressible file:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

If you search Google Groups you will find many more references to
similar tests.

- Franc Zabkar

Old August 10th 03, 03:24 AM
John Navas

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In on Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:34:53
+1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:15:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

An internal modem can have better throughput when transferring highly
compressible data. I often see 20KBps when downloading newsgroup
headers, for example. Compare this with an external serial modem which
would be limited by the COM port to only 11KBps. The majority of
internal modems are also immune to buffer overrun errors which may
have a slight impact on performance.

What you see is not what you are really getting.

System Monitor tells me that I'm seeing and getting exactly that. I
have also measured the throughput with a watch, as have others. Some
Lucent controllerless modems will do even better than mine.

Here are some real test results using an artificially created highly
compressible file:

Which is of course meaningless.

Old August 10th 03, 10:23 AM
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:54:54 GMT, "Some One"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

You can't count data compression when talking about speeds.

Of course you can, if the modem's firmware is responsible for the
compression and if by "speed" you actually mean "throughput".

Put a six pack in the trunk of your car and drive as fast as you can
for 10 miles. Now put another six pack in the trunk and drive as fast
as you can for 10 miles. You can't say the second trip was twice as
fast because it moved twice as much brew.

When we talk of performance in relation to modems, we are not talking
about raw DCE speed. We are interested in *throughput*. If my internal
modem is capable of shifting more data than your external one, all
things being equal, then it is the better performer under those
conditions. To use your analogy, if one delivery vehicle can move
twice as much cargo in the same time over the same distance as another
van, then it is twice as efficient.

.. .

fax/adsl modem 123xxxxx General 41 August 3rd 03 09:37 AM
Good AMD upgrade mobo? grendel General 7 July 17th 03 09:20 PM
No Boot After Modem Install Steven J General 2 July 12th 03 08:55 AM
USB External 56K modem, comments? Adrian General 6 July 4th 03 08:12 AM